Xbox game prices announced

silverswood

Established Member
Reaction score
This may have already been put on here somewhere but couldn't find anything about it, if it has please remove.

Apparently they have released the price games
(see here) http://www.xbox360news.com/Blogs/News/hqs/blr_341.aspx
$49.99 that is about £29 ish, even around the same price as current gen xbox games would be great :lease: , cant see us getting the 360 games at that price in the UK though :( .

thats good to know, I can't see us getting them below £30 though, in store price will probably be £39.99 and £34.99 online.

That article is 2 months out of date if you read it it says all xbox games will be 100% compatable on 360 game prices will be £40-£50 instores

In store prices are £45-50 with website prices starting at £40.
It's going to be a bit pricey to start with but I'm sure these will come down over time.

Dixons prices will be £44.99 for most titles with some of them being £49.99

PooonTang said:
Dixons prices will be £44.99 for most titles with some of them being £49.99

If they stay above £35 I will be annoyed. It's not that I can't afford them. Just think it's overpriced.Can't justify for much beyond launch. Maybe after Christmas they'll come down.

£50 is a joke.

Films cost £100 millions more to make, yet you can buy any new dvd for £10 on cd wow.

Why are games so much more expensive, when they cost a tiny fraction of films to make?

a couple of reasons:
because DVD is just one of the revenue streams available to movies - there are also terrestrial, PPV and satellite revenue streams
piracy of games *is* hurting game publishers and therefore developers
movies have an ecosystem to support them in pre-during-and-post production, that ecosystem does not yet exist for games
movies only need to cater to a linear consumer experience, games need to be far more complex.

Games Guru said:
Films cost £100 millions more to make, yet you can buy any new dvd for £10 on cd wow.

Why are games so much more expensive, when they cost a tiny fraction of films to make?

You seem to forget also that the initial and primary revenue for films is in the theaters. DVD is the secondry revenue, and then there are TV rights too. Also films are accessible to a far larger audienced then games. You can't realistically compare films to games when it comes to cost.

Moogle said:
You seem to forget also that the initial and primary revenue for films is in the theaters. DVD is the secondry revenue, and then there are TV rights too. Also films are accessible to a far larger audienced then games. You can't realistically compare films to games when it comes to cost.
I wonder if a time will ever come where games prices could be reduced? It's strange whenever anyone wants to talk up the games industry, they always now say that it makes more money than the film industry, which is of course true.

We pay far more for games per title, but while films have a larger audience, it's ironic games still cost less per title to produce, and will do even in the next generation. It could be interesting if the opening up of other revenue streams, such as the Live marketplace, will allow games to become cheaper? It's still not looking likely though.

LEEMJONES said:
how come pc titles are cheaper than consoles guys?

I think that's a good point. I would imagine that during the early days there is a steep learning curve to program for a console, but after that it would settle down. Also Sony and M$ charge developers for each title they produce as a license fee - this isn't possible on the pc, therefore releasing the same title will always cost more on a console.

My 2p anyway...

LEEMJONES said:
how come pc titles are cheaper than consoles guys?

Mainly because there is no licencing cost involved. MS, Sony and Nintendo charge a licencing fee for every copy of a game sold by a third party developer/publisher for their consoles. Also PC games have a far larger market then console games.

Moogle said:
Mainly because there is no licencing cost involved. MS, Sony and Nintendo charge a licencing fee for every copy of a game sold by a third party developer/publisher for their consoles. Also PC games have a far larger market then console games.

Console games generally outsell pc games bar stuff like the sims and Myst.

Think it's just down to what the market will take for pricing on consoles. With a new console before christmas, it's always going to be more expensive at first.

although that article is a couple of months old, its still relevant. It means MS games in the US will be no more expensive than xbox games.

In this country, online stores have used £49.99 as a placeholder, just in case prices are higher. No official MS prices have been released to retailers yet, so they can only guess.

Hopefully MS will follow their US model and price at £39.99 in the UK (and 3rd parties will follow suit)

Considering the price discounting of the current generation, even £40 will seem like a price hike.

Its going to be a bit of a farce to be honst for the first wee while. I was going to get all my games at game. Instead ill be getting PGR3 only at £44.99 and the rest off gameplay.com for £39.99 because the rest are £50 at game.

Lorenzini said:
Hmm, very sceptical that's true anymore. Most multi-format charts I've seen in the last few years rarely contain more than 1 or 2 PC titles.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I said part of the reason PC games are cheaper is because individual games sell in bigger numbers then console games because of the larger PC market worldwide.

JayList said:
Console games generally outsell pc games bar stuff like the sims and Myst.

No they don't. Just because there are more console games in the charts doesn't mean that individual console games outsell PC games. For the most part PC games outsell console games on a worldwide basis. The worldwide market of PC's is far greater then that of consoles and there are many countries where PC games are far more popular then console games.

Moogle said:
No they don't. Just because there are more console games in the charts doesn't mean that individual console games outsell PC games. For the most part PC games outsell console games on a worldwide basis. The worldwide market of PC's is far greater then that of consoles and there are many countries where PC games are far more popular then console games.

Maybe your right, happy to be proved wrong. All I am thinking of is articles where I've read how publishers are switching to consoles because they sell more units.

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but in the US, Japan and UK, I am sure that console games are better sellers generally? E.g here are the top ten games in uk 2004. Mostly console games (although subsequently became available on PC). And these three countries are by far the largest game markets.

Also walk into game or EB, mostly you see the console games. I guess it depends how you breakdown the market. Perhaps the total PC market is bigger if you include all games from 1.99 onwards.

I guess there are some mega selling RPGs in places like Korea etc.

But the bigger selling titles are generally on consoles I'm pretty sure.

The UK’s top 10 selling games in 2004 were:
1. GRAND THEFT AUTO: SAN ANDREAS TAKE 2
2. FIFA 2005 ELECTRONIC ARTS
3. NEED FOR SPEED: UNDERGROUND 2 ELECTRONIC ARTS
4. THE SIMPSONS: HIT & RUN VIVENDI
5. PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 4 KONAMI
6. SONIC HEROES SEGA UK
7. SPIDER-MAN 2 ACTIVISION
8. NEED FOR SPEED: UNDERGROUND ELECTRONIC ARTS
9. HALO 2 MICROSOFT
10. DRIV3R ATARI

The latest video from AVForums