Xbox game downloads and speed monitor?

Discussion in 'Xbox One' started by Waynej, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,348
    I assume this is the case for everyone else, but just wanted to double check. I'm hoping it's just a common display glitch and everything downloads consistently.

My download speed is typically 32Mb. Now when I download a game on Xbox One and monitor that download in the queue the speed displayed fluctuates greatly, sometimes it even disappears altogether for a few seconds as well.

I've seen it go as high as 240Mb for a few seconds, then it typically hovers around 15-30Mb, and as mentioned it disappears completely sometimes and hovers in the kB range at others.

Is that anything for me to be concerned about, or is this the same for everyone else?

I got this quick photo snapped when it was displaying an impossible 240Mb download. My router shows max speed as 36Mb and all tests I've done on devices are always in the 32Mb range.

IMG_20171013_151919012.jpg

2. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    I've seen it fluctuate, maybe not to the same degree, but it has gone over my download speed for me too (48Mbps).

For me, it'll be an error in the software, a glitch that is very temporarily mismatching download size against time taken and reporting the wrong thing as opposed to you actually getting those speeds.

I certainly wouldn't class it in the "something to worry about" camp unless you're having more fundamental problems.

3. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,348
    Thanks for your input. Another issue I noticed which I'd be intrigued to know if you or anyone has the same -- with the Xbox in instant-on / stand-by mode, I can see in my routers event log that the Xbox is losing connection every couple of seconds while in standby. As if it's being unplugged and plugged back in non-stop, the list is long filling pages and pages of the log. This happens in both wired and wireless. While it's powered on there is no such issue. If I didn't look in the log I wouldn't even know this was a problem.

With regards to consistent speed issues I am pretty sure it's not my connection as I ran a similar test on Steam and the continuous downloading remained consistent.

4. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,219
    Happens to me too. Goes to 45Mbs when my max is 40. And as low as 10-15Mbs.

Fluctuates wildly between those numbers. I always just ignore it.