1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox Game Copy Speed????

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Messiah, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Can anyone tell me why when I copy an XBox game from the XBox drive to the XBox hard disk it will copy a full 4.7GB in about 10-15 minutes yet if I tried to copy 4.7GB from my PC DVD drive to my HDD it would likely take about 2 hours.

Is this simply due to the speed differences between Linux (is that waht the XBox uses?) and Windows?

I'm just amazed at how quick the XBox copies the data. Stunned in fact.

Thanks.

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    I think you will find most if not all X-Box games do not approach anywhere near 4,7Gb, most games will likely be around a gig or less. Whereas if you say took a PC demo DVD full to the brim it would take forever.

Also the Xbox has 4X dvd drive, whereas your PC may only have a 1X. :)

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A PC should wipe the floor with an x-box when it comes to ripping/data transfer.

It's probably related to the file structure & intentional on Microsoft's part (for obvious reasons :)).

Not too many peeps with 1x DVD drives in their PCs now I'll bet :p My DVD-rom rips a 4.7gb SS SL DVD to the HDD in 5/6 minutes :eek:

Hell, I can even burn a 4.7gb DVD in 15 mins :smashin:

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Sinzer

Most of the XBox games I have are > 2GB and the one I was particularly referring to was yager which is 4.5GB. Ripped to the XBox HDD in less than 15 minutes. Whilst I do get DVDDecrypter ripping a full DVD to the HDD in under 15 minutes (in fact, many in 2 or 3 minutes) if I try to simply copy 4GB plus in Windows file explorer it takes an age.

And yes, all my DVD readers/burners read at 4x.

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Yeah, I think it must be to do with the file structure. What's interseting is watching a 400MB file copy in about 10secs on the XBox but take more than a minute on the PC.

Just curious that's all.

6. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I'm aware the Xbox's Operating System is a stripped down Windows 2000 Kernal (about 0.5MB in size). Maybe coz it's so streamlined it can carry out tasks like transfering data much quicker, compared with all the bloated extras you get with a Windows XP copy.

Also as you mention the file structure. A few really big files that come to say 3GB will copy much quicker than 100's of smaller files that come to the same amout. So maybe Xbox games are just structured so they use really big files instead of lots of small one's.

Also, PC's use a file structure called FAT32 (some use NTFS as well), it could be Xbox HDD uses a much simpler file structure system (eg. the security, search indexing, date/time etc. stuff taken out).

7. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mind you, to just add to that, I've just played the leaked version of Halo on the PC. And the PC versions loading times are much quicker than the Xbox's.