1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX for XBMC

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by ash, Jun 30, 2005.

1. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    I am buying a new kit so I am deciding on a DVD player or an XBOX with XBMC, I think XBMC is the better options, I can play my avi files, but whats the best way to get a chipped Xbox, any chip will suffice, as long as I get HIGH Deg out put, and xbmc, and the odd backup games, i wont be going on xbox live though.

I would prefer a prechipped box, anyone know of any shops in London/Essex area, I live in Ilford, Redbridge, East Ham area, any were near there, if not what could I do myself?

2. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +413
    I got mine from Premodded who have become AdvancedXBOX. Faultless service on a XBox with 80gb HD and Xenium mod chip. He'll load it up with all the software you need ready to run.

I have mine running the latest XBMC as the Dashboard (boots straight into it) in full 1280x720p HD glory - streaming AVI, MP3, pictures et al from my PC on 100mb network connection to a 8ft screen via Panasonic AE700 projector.

The XBox really is one of the best bits of HC kit I've bought...remember if you want to upscale DVDs to HD res you'll have to play them through XBMC and at the moment there is no Menu support - of course you can get Menus through the normal XBox DVD upgrade but they are limited to 576i/480i.

Recently discovered that XBMC will play some HD res DivX/XviD clips without dropping frames...no MPEG-TS files though - may be worth waiting for the 360 as that should have media facilities out of the box.

3. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    I too have XBMC as the dashboard & have been using it via SCART RGB to my 46" RPTV. I have just acquired a Panasonic PTAE700 PJ so am really interested to know what I need to do to get 1280x720p out of the Xbox. AIUI the HD component output kit is required but after I have that what do I have to configure on the Xbox or XBMC to get HD output?

BTW I have just discovered that I can stream to XBMC from the DVB-S satellite card in my PC using a plugin to My Theatre which is the application that I use for viewing the satellite TV on the PC.

4. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  5. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Do a search, mate. This has already been done-to-death on these very forums.

6. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    Thanks mate but I already did a search & plodded through dozens of pages of postings. I know how to set up 720p to play games by changing the options in the MS Xbox dashboard. However I use XBMC as my dashboard so wondered what I need to do to set up HD from there.

If someone could please sensibly answer the question I would be very grateful

7. lei179

lei179

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi,
    If you go into settings in xbmc,video theres an option to "upscale to gui res".
    Also under apperance you can change the default resolution upto 1080i.
    Hope this helps,any questions just ask.

Cheers.
    Lei

8. Rhythm EG

Rhythm EG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to bump the thread, but what DVD software are you guys using to play DVDs through XBMC? XBMC standalone gave me a blank screen, so I nudged the settings to use the standard Xbox DVD playback. That couldn't cope with multi-region DVDs though so I switched to DVD Region X. That's great, but it won't accept commands from the DVD remote.

Does anyone have a preferred player or would it be worth reinstalling XBMC?

9. lei179

lei179

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Install Avalaunch,superb dvd playback with menus,and upscaling.Edit your .xml file to use this as default,ive had no probs with this and you can use the remote. :thumbsup:

lei

10. Rhythm EG

Rhythm EG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is Avalaunch softmod friendly?

11. lei179

lei179

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    OH yes. :)

12. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    Just got my HiDef kit delivered & I have to say "Wow!". GAmes like Tony Hawk's Underground 2 that are widescreen & 720p look amazing. XBMC in 720p looks great too.

To answer my own question about how to use XBMC in HiDef you need to switch to NTSC mode & then access the Microsoft dashboard to enable 720p (or 1080i).

13. Rhythm EG

Rhythm EG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. After looking into it a bit I lacked the confidence to mess with changing the dashboard over to Avalaunch (I'm using Krayzie's mod so that I can still get on Live). I did, however, change the dashboard to UnleashX and all seems to be fine now :)