1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox for DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by drbeat, Nov 18, 2003.

1. drbeat

drbeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does the XBox compare to stand alone DVD players under £100? What about the PS2?

Dr Beat

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Firstly the ps2 dvd playback is pretty bad at least on my early ps2. The more recent ps2s I believe are greatly improved. The xbox is also a bit hit and miss. For under £100 nowadays you can get pretty good performance from players like the Toshiba 330, Panasonic S35/S75 and Pioneer models. I actually use a cheapy Compacks DVD5000 which was under £50 and have directly compared it via projector output (AE!00) to ps2, xbox and Toshiba 330 or via component and the Compacks is an easy winner against the consoles and its a bit better than the 330 too in picture quality thanks to progressive scan via VGA. Not only that but in functionality terms it far outstrips all but the xbox and thats only because of divx/xvid playback. I personally don't rate the consoles at all and find the xbox whirring noise distracting where as the Compacks is whisper quiet.

I think something like the Panasonic S35 or the budget Pioneers are by far the best bet for normal television use via scart RGB. I don't recommend the Toshiba as even though it has a better picture I doubt if you'd notice much difference on a standard tv and it seems to have some firmware issues and a poor dvd loader.