Xbox Elite Controller

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Got a number of problems with my Elite Controller - I'm another who's had one since launch so I can't complain about not getting much use from it.

I have the rubber grips falling off - which I've given up on and now only have 2 that are stuck down with superglue. (Actually, I managed to get superglue all over the top of the controller too which has resulted in an extra grippy section!)

2 main gripes though - firstly my left shoulder button has fell to bits, it still works 99% of the time but it's no longer attached into the controller - I understand there are kits to fix this, can anyone recommend a good guide and where to get the parts?

Secondly - I doubt this one can be solved... vibration is very loud - the motors are banging against the inside of the shell - it's horrific on Forza, and on destiny it'll vibrate with every gun shot. Suggestions welcome.
Have a look on Ebay for Parts, I'm sure I got mine for about £5 and then just search Youtube for a guide. Should take 5/10 mins to replace it. Only issue when I did mine was trying to find the correct screwdriver for it. Some packs on ebay come with the correct tool needed.

Can you not turn down the vibration settings in the Controller App ?

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/change-controller-vibration

Last edited:

p9ul

Distinguished Member
I'll give those suggestions a go - cheers.

I'm not sure I could use to "no vibration" on gunshots but I may have to go that route - it's been commented on in parties that other people are hearing it.

Jayc1976

Just picked up an elite controller for my lad. He has been going on about one for a while. Never used one myself and looking at it I like the paddles for button mapping so I'm going to try it out on apex legends and see if I get on with it before thinking of pre ordering the newer elite. Does anyone have a set up they prefer for apex legends? Button mapping and sensitivity for sticks and triggers only want to give it a quick try whilst my lad is at the cinema. Think 2 buttons feel ok for me although my lad wants all 4 on.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
I've used my Series 1 Elite controller a lot since it was first released, but that doesn't stop me from being disappointed that I'm currently left with an expensive paperweight just through normal use, thanks to the poor quality bumper button design compared to the effort they put into the rest of the controller.

Microsoft decided to use a single piece of plastic for the bumpers that flexes in the middle to create its spring effect and over time this piece weakens and eventually snaps. Mine finally got to this point last night on the left side and not only did the flex point snap, but the plastic piece that makes contact with the bumper switch also snapped off.

Nowhere sells the OEM silver bumpers, not even Microsoft who tell you you have to buy a new controller, so I'm taking a gamble on a UK supplied black replacement part instead, to get it up and running again. I'd rather pay a couple of Pounds than buy a new controller when the rest of it still functions perfectly fine and thankfully mine hasn't suffered the rubber grips coming off.

Shame about this poor design choice and I don't know if they've used a different solution for the Series 2. I wouldn't be happy with my £160 purchase of the Series 2 if they've kept this same bumper design.

stellamandude

Distinguished Member
I've used my Series 1 Elite controller a lot since it was first released, but that doesn't stop me from being disappointed that I'm currently left with an expensive paperweight just through normal use, thanks to the poor quality bumper button design compared to the effort they put into the rest of the controller.

Nowhere sells the OEM silver bumpers, not even Microsoft who tell you you have to buy a new controller, so I'm taking a gamble on a UK supplied black replacement part instead, to get it up and running again. I'd rather pay a couple of Pounds than buy a new controller when the rest of it still functions perfectly fine and thankfully mine hasn't suffered the rubber grips coming off.
I've been through 4 or 5 sets between 2 controllers, mine and the boys.
Agree its a naff design, but it's a cheap and simple fix, I can replace them in under 10mins now, I actually have a spare set in "stock" now lol

Got mine from here............

Made in China, stocked in the UK ;)

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
My black replacement bumper came this week, so I fixed it last night. The left bumper wouldn't pop back up when correctly fitted, but all it needed was the stem that makes contact with the switch filed down slightly.

The Elite and short-pull triggers feel strange since getting used to a normal controller again.

Pavement

Found this on YouTube, if you want to try this method

Can’t do any harm, might even help was it posted on April 1st by any chance.

My elite has slight drift on one thumbstick but its only when it’s not being touched. Give it a slight nudge and it sorts itself out and when you’re playing you are constantly making small adjustments anyway.

How bad does this get where it actually makes a difference? Do you end up having to counter steer in driving games or pull your aim in shooters? Canyou not trim it out with a small deadzone in the settings?