1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox DVD region X

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by mikenruth, Aug 6, 2002.

1. mikenruth

mikenruth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone managed to get hold of an Xbox DVD region X kit yet? I've been waiting for one for.....oooooh..... ever? So far it's been put back three times. Do you think I'll ever see one? :confused:

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Get your box chipped then buy a DVD kit (US or UK, doesn't matter) then download a cracking piece of software called Xecuter DVDX that will make your DVD kit dongle region free.

Works a treat :D

No idea why RegionX is taking so long.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have an Xbox. But don't know anything about chips.....

1) Is it legal. I suspect not. But I just would like to know

2) Is it RCE compatible ?

3) Can you play other US game on a UK machine?

Thanks

Julien

4. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it can play copied games (of which the Xbox chips do...) then it would be deemed illegal.

Well you would need to use a bit of software I believe to make the Xbox multi-region but I can't see RCE doing anything about it so no probs there.

Using the mod chip will allow for multi-region gaming.. European, Amerian and Japanese games will work with a modified Xbox.

Hope that helps.

5. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,794
    Where can I get it modded, and how much would it cost?

I'm in South London, and don't really fancy posting my XBox off - would much rather take it in somewhere myself.

Thanks.

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    your best bet is an x-ecuter chip and fit it yoursself , a ten minute job and really easy to do.

get chip here, or send.

this probably the best chip out at the momement.

plus you can set you xbox to pal/ntsc or pal60.

and the x-ecuter is not ilegal.

7. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the X-ecuter chip only allows the playback of original import titles and nothing else (like dev programs like EvolutionX, DivX players, any CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, etc) then it wouldn't be illegal. If it does allow programs to be booted up without the Microsoft code (like EvoX, the Video disk, etc) then it is illegal since you would be running un-authorised programs on the Xbox.

But then thats not going to stop anyone chipping their console...

8. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    It isn't illegal to add a mod chip to your own Xbox.
    It is illegal to play copyright material that you haven't purchased on said console, but since you own the console it's your own right to add anything to enhance it.

So if you just want to play import software then there is no problem in owning and fitting a modchip in any console.

As for fitting your own - DON'T - unless you have the correct soldering iron and other relevent tools.
    I took one look at the board (and the tiny solder points) and thought there ain't no way I'm doing that.
    I got someone who has the tools and the know-how to fit it for me.

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    having a dvd player that will play pirated dvds is not illegal, having pirated dvds is illegal.

same with consoles, if you steal copyrighted bios files etc. then it becomes illegal.

i would agree with fitting any other modchip other than the x-ecuter is a tricky task but you literally just drop your solder through the nine holes on the chip to the nine solder points on the board.
    and then solder one wire onto the xbox board, this is the only trickt bit.

if you have never soldered before, then dont try on a £200 machine that you cannot afford to fudge up.

the best thing on the xbox at the momement in my opinion is all the homebrew stuff, mame , snes , n64 emus etc.
    and being able to add a 120gig h/drive and boot your games/emus straight from it.

10. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But then that argument has changed from being hardware (the chip) to software (games). If the chip allows for backup play then it is illegal, simple as that. Modifying a product you own of course isn't (much like how people mod their cars, etc), but enhancing a console to play pirate software is. Of course this would only imply to those who do not buy original software (and you know who you are).

That would fall down to the ownership of the DVD itself and that is obvious in its own right... After all pretty much every DVD player out now are advertising CD-R/CD-RW and DVD-R/DVD-RW compatibility and of course this enhancement is exploited.

I'm against piracy but I'm not naive to think that it doesn't happen, after all piracy helped to establish the PSX as the number one console. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if the mod chip developers only made a true multi-region chip that will allow for original titles and imports to run, then they could avoid all this legal mumbo-jumbo Vs Sony and Microsoft full stop.

Fact is that it won't happen but I'm hardly bitter about it. Juju wanted to know what legal restrictions would apply and we've given him some reasons.

Hehe, have you seen the PS2's motherboard? Its tiny... And on the "expert" NEO4.1 fitting instructions there had to be 22 wires installed on a tiny chip... With the connections less than 1mm from each other!

As for the tools the correct wire is essential as is a 12W soldering iron, good solder, flux, etc. If you don't feel comfortable with your soldering skills then I would advise anyone not to touch it. Just ask around and I'm sure you can find a mate who could do the job for you. I haven't seen the connection points for the X-ecuter chip to be honest, but I've seen the Messiah-X. 11 wires hardly looks difficult to install (Vs the 44 on the NEO4.1 for the PS2!).

I'll definitely be getting the Xbox for the dev scene since it interests me a lot, but that can wait until I've finished off some bills...

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    I am afraid you are wrong, until it is passed in a court of law, it is not illegal.
    And I have a feeling that Microsoft will leave it a while, as sales are picking up , due to the homebrew stuff, until they try and kerb the chipping of their console.

one of the reasons that the companies dont like chipping is because they get grief from the publishers in different regions.
    just because a games company makes a game they may only release/distribute it in their home territory, meaning that the publisher in say the PAL market would be loosing out on sales if everyone had bought the game on NTSC already, and in the end no one would bother getting the publishing rights for said territoy.
    This is made obvious by the fact that microsoft have not put any regional lockout in the xbox but left it down to the developer to add it to their titles if they wish to. How many games have been released without regional lockout ??? none !

But in another post you say
    so how are you going to play all these roms if you are against piracy ???

I download loads of games, and if i like it I buy it , simple as that , if it is paid for i will give it more time. I bet i spend more on software than most people who are into gaming.
    so do I feel guilty for downloading isos ?? do I **** !!!!!

If the developer has done a good job of a title he will get my money, if it turns out to be a sloppy bit of work, he wont.
    in fact i wont even play it on cdr/dvdr if it's poor so they arent really loosing out anyway.
    the only way they could be loosing out is if the advertising tempts me to buy a crap game by saying it is good, so ****** to'em.

Fitting the X-ecuter to the xbox is easier than fiting a ps1 chip.
    the neo4 and messiah chips are not the easiest I agree, but this is nothing like that. take a look at the pics on the link above i gave.

12. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wasn't going to expand on the ROMs issue, but since I'm prompted... ROMs for me is a mixed bag. For one I support ROMs from the 8-bit era, but not ROMs from N64 games, ISOs like PSX titles and so on. I think its fine to play Amstrad CPC 464 titles like IK+, Dizzy etc, as it is to play on Duck Hunt or BoulderDash... But playing ROMs from a console/format that is still making cash... Is a bit of a grey area.

Everyone has their own opinions on ROMs.. Some say its illegal full stop and some say that its fine if the said firm isn't making any cash from it from being on sale. For example when the Zelda: OOT ROM came out near the actual cart release, I was fuming because its a top top game and yet it has been treated in such a way. Buy having it on ROM Nintendo can't make any cash from it after spending huge amounts of resources... Which is why we have seen shorter games.

So far I think the mod-chip on the PS2 is still ongoing through the courts... As for the MS one, the judge ruled it as fine. Microsoft would leave it for a while if it has the impact that the mod chip had on the PSX... If you go anywhere near Asia then you could find loads of copies for £1 or less... Sure they are loosing cash from software sales but then they are gaining a massive userbase on hardware. Its the same for PC piracy... Microsoft have basically said "Its fine to pirate software as long as its ours"...

Dunno if that decision was made purely by the publishers... More like an attraction point (about the regional lockout) by Microsoft. It certainly worked since a lot of new Xbox owners were bragging about it, but yes, with regional sales it does help the said publisher just like in the DVD industry. I just hope that they get the damn message that european gamers do not want slack PAL ports, with massibr borders and slower gameplay (Square are you listening dammit?!?).

Ah, but then there are many people out there that wouldn't buy it, even if they like it... Good on you to buy the original after though since I support originals all the way.

I tend to make my own mind up about certain titles and then rent/borrow. If I like a said title then I'd buy it but 90% of the time I know what titles to buy and what not to for myself. The fact that I haven't traded in one gaming title at all seems to prove that I've made some good choices thus far anyway. I would certainly never buy a game or anything else (bar clothes etc) without doing any kind of research into it beforehand. That way I would know what the game is about and how far it goes into the said genre, then I'll base my decision after...

We all have different gaming tastes as we do have different views about piracy and ROMs. I'm certainly not stopping anyone to mod their console but as for certain ISOs and ROMs its a mixed feeling for me.

13. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Wrong! All Rom images of any game are illegal unless the company that released the game have given rights for the rom to be released freely.

That is why the MAME scene has kind of died on the web as more and more sites with the roms have been forced to remove them or shut down.

Come on!!! Microsoft have been at battle with piracy of their OS software etc.. from day one. They will never allow the copying of their copyright material on any platform.

14. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ROMS are not illegal if you do own the original game itself, the current law accepts that you can make a legal backup of something that you own, so all ROM images are not illegal off the bat.

However this rule could change since its affecting the DVD scene... Soon having a multi-region DVD player would be deemed illegal in the EU as is making ANY sort of backup that you legally own. Its a debate that could rage on forever...

If you don't believe me then check out more PC websites like tomshardware.com. I don't know if you keep tabs on the PC scene as much as the console one or not but its there. BTW of course MS are against piracy of their OS since day one, I never said otherwise. I was just commenting on a news article showing the expansion of Microsoft in Asia, that is why they are also selling their Xbox's in China and Asia, unlike Sony which has refused to sell their PS2 there straight off the bat. Actually it was only recently that the PS2 was officially available there.

15. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    haha..back on topic here..
    I've had some fairly reliable info that RegionX for Xbox is proving very difficult and possibly wont see the light of day until sometime early next year..

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this a rant thread? LOL
    I have just chipped my xbox with a x-ecuter chip, 10 min job?
    LOL took me several failed attempts, it is a very fiddly chip to install.
    Anyway, I got it working in the end and patched the xbox with some downloaded software and BOOMSHANKA!!!
    It can now play DVD's from any region with a R2 Dongle WOOOHOOO!!!!!!
    It also plays all the other things as well, but I didnt mention that did I?

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To add to my last post I also downloaded a program for xbox that allowed me to play any region without the dvd remote dongle installed. Not sure if this works with unmodded xbox's though.

18. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Nope - DVDX needs a mod chip and EvolutionX dashboard for you to get it onto your HD in the Xbox. Can't run from a CDRW unless you have a mod chip that disables the eject reset on the Xbox.