Xbox dvd read error

jammychap

Standard Member
Reaction score
First of all i'd like to say hi, i'm new here but looks like a great fourm.

I need a little help with a xbox 360 dvd drive, on this consol I put a disk in it quickly fails to read and says open tray, I have already tryed replacing the laser, tweaking the pot down slowly to near min (3 ohm) and also replaced the whole drive swapping the dvd board over, still the problem exists what else can I try ??????

Thanks in advance,

Jammychap :hiya:

holy ****. you have basically tried everything possible including a new drive.

are you sure the new drive is working ok? have you checked the pot on it?

also are you putting the correct discs in? did you 100% put the right pcb on the new drive, it is easy to get them mixed up sometimes.

try this
1. On the console, go to My Xbox, and then select System Settings. 2. Select Memory. 3. Highlight any storage device, and then press Y on your controller. 4. Select Clear System Cache.

other than that there isn't much else to try.

The donor dvd drive defo works in it's console, and yes i'm sure i swapped the boards over, the only thing i don't know is weather or not the previous owner tryed swapping the drive without swapping the board, if he has done is there anything i can do or am i stuffed :(

I have the lid off at the mo and noticed the disk does not spin up at all

Nope neither of them spin up, just the laser does it's focus adjustment ?

Ok it must be something wrong with the board because I tryed the other drive again with the lid off (the wrong board in it) and the disk does spin up but the laser sends out it's red beam first, my drive is not doing that, hummmmmmmmmmmmm now what lol.

OMFG I sussed it, the white ribbon is faulty *** now working a treat with donor one lol.

that would have been my next step

Was it hard to change the ribbon? I get the DVD drive error and I've tried so many different ways to fix it and nothing has worked.

Sometimes it works fine but then when it happens it won't go away. I end up having to install the game (if I can get that far).

Frustrating :(

Was it hard to change the ribbon? I get the DVD drive error and I've tried so many different ways to fix it and nothing has worked.

Sometimes it works fine but then when it happens it won't go away. I end up having to install the game (if I can get that far).

Frustrating :(

The sticky tape holding it down is quite tuff but other than that if you know how to get into an xbox it's childs play :thumbsup:

I on the other hand have another one thats giving me greif, it's a lite-on drive gives me open tray all the time, reads audio cd's, tryed adjusting the laser no joy, tryed an exchange one for one i know that works no joy, can't exchange the board on this one as my other lite-on drive has a different shape board inside any ideas guys ???

This xbox with the light on drive, I have a feeling the previous owner has swapped the drive for one that does not have a matching key, now problem, is there any way of replacing the key that should be there ???

I have read a bit about flashing the drive, that's not really an option because it will get the xbox banned off xbox life and a lifetime ban for me, so is there any way the key can leagally be put back ???

I have read a bit about flashing the drive, that's not really an option because it will get the xbox banned off xbox life and a lifetime ban for me, so is there any way the key can leagally be put back ???

you would still need the original dvd drive key even to flash it with original firmware. basically no original drive key or original pcb then your out of luck i guess

you can extract the key and "spoof" the new drive or just hope that drive is newer and counts as a legit upgrade or the 360 would reject it even with the correct key, unless you really understand what you are doing this is not really viable

I don't believe m$ would ban you for a drive swap with official firmware, I believe their detection methods are a lot more sophisticated so if you pass the drive type and key check but are on original firmware you would / should be fine.

By far the easiest tho would be to buy a proper like for like replacement and then boardswap if you had to. Check the revision on the sticker and don't just go for a "liteon" make sure its the same.

you can extract the key and "spoof" the new drive or just hope that drive is newer and counts as a legit upgrade or the 360 would reject it even with the correct key, unless you really understand what you are doing this is not really viable

I don't believe m$ would ban you for a drive swap with official firmware, I believe their detection methods are a lot more sophisticated so if you pass the drive type and key check but are on original firmware you would / should be fine.

By far the easiest tho would be to buy a proper like for like replacement and then boardswap if you had to. Check the revision on the sticker and don't just go for a "liteon" make sure its the same.

the drive he has in the 360 now doesnt have the original matching key though

the drive he has in the 360 now doesnt have the original matching key though

indeed thats why i think he should get a proper like for like replacement liteon and do the boardswap so the key does match, that should work?

indeed thats why i think he should get a proper like for like replacement liteon and do the boardswap so the key does match, that should work?

no because the previous owner put in a drive without swapping the original board or flashing the original key over, basically no trace of the original drive the console came with is left

connect the drive with no lid on eject and close a few times watch the laser sometimes they just keep moving up caused by worn white plastic clip that attaches to the worm motor or a faulty worm motor have seen this loads of times also check the ribbon or replace as sometimes they fail to and no amount of pot tweaking will fix that i fix drives for xbox every day

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom