1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX DVD Playback

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by pmccurdy, Oct 12, 2004.

1. pmccurdy

pmccurdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I remember reading somewhere that even the US xboxes or a modded one that outputs ntsc still has dvd playback of 480i ? Is this the case?

Was hoping that I didnt have to get a high end dvd player with component out, 1080i prog scan, etc etc etc.

2. allanp

allanp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    You can edit sometihng with a hex editor to enable 480p mode, but nothing higher.

3. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    You can output DVD's upscaled to 480p, 720p and 1080i on a modded xbox with the new media center.

4. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Read that 1080i doesn't work as the 733Mhz CPU in the XBOX doesn't cut the mustard on instructions/second.

5. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I have it set to 720p, I tried 1080i for a few minutes it seemed OK. I will have another look tonight and report back. You can alter the cache memory used for the film or something I wonder if this makes a difference?
    720p should be fine for most people anyway, out of interest who in the UK could actually make good use of 1080i? Aren't most new projectors/plasmas around the 720p resolution?
    At the end of the day you're only upscaling the image to match the res on the display device, this is nothing like true high definition.

6. pmccurdy

pmccurdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for replies

I've got the LG DLP which supports up to 1080i

Would 1080i really be noticeable difference to 720p?

7. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Do you know the actual pixel resolution of your LG (is it a plasma?)

I have a Panasonic projector, the resolution is 1280x720 which is an exact match for 720p. So I couldn't input a more fitting signal than 720p. Even though the projector can accept a 1080i signal it scales it to 1280x720, so I wouldn't see a difference. It could possibly be slightly worse because of the additional scaling involved.

Basically, when you're talking about simply scaling images, 1080i wouldn't be much noticeable difference to 720p, 720p isn't much noticeable from 480p. You have to remember that the only detail you are going to see is coming from a disc encoded in a lower resolution.

8. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    PDP-434HDE,You are correct, menus will work in 1080i but the film won't get started. Must be too much stain on the CPU like you say. 720p is fine though.

9. shipitinshag

shipitinshag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having recently purchased my X2VGA+ I have been experimenting with DVD playback on my XBOX, I have managed to get it to output at 480p which looks great but how do I get it to output the video/dvd playback at 720p or 1080i?

So this being the case surely the resulting output even if it is only at 480p, must outshine what comes out of my Standalone E55 Panny DVD player outputting prog scan over component????