Xbox DVD performance bad?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Zacabeb, May 6, 2002.

1. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I bought an Xbox and along with that, a DVD kit. I have used my PS2 for playing DVD before and found it okay, but I got tired of starting each DVD session with Region X in order to get RGB.

Now something's not right with the Xbox. The DVD picture has loads of artifacts. There is no stutter or breakup, not even in fast moving objects, but in static or slow moving areas weird things happen. There is a buildup of blockiness which is only interrupted when things start moving or twitching as new macroblocks are filled in randomly. There seems to be a bit of trailing as well. It's like blocks swimming around on top of an otherwise sharp and correct picture. They don't mess up edges, only patches.

It just doesn't feel right. The thing is it's semi-subtle at times. It's there and you see it, but anyone with VHS eyes might feel it's okay. A videophile on the other hand, would spot it in a second and turn away in disgust. The artifacts are in that range. But they are stronger than I would have accepted even on a £100 no-no brand DVD player.

Something isn't working right on that machine.

The thing is getting the machine fixed is a Catch 22 situation - I won't go in on that in detail, but it will have to be brought in for repair. But if the Xbox DVD playback as such is no better than I've experienced, there's no reason for me to send it in for service, in which case I'll take the DVD kit back to the store for a refund.

Has anyone else seen this problem on the Xbox?