XBOX DVD Output

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dirty Sanchez, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Dirty Sanchez

Dirty Sanchez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anyone tell me how the XBOX DVD output compares to an expensive DVD player and if its worth buying a seperate 'more expensive DVD player' cheers

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It looked a little pixellated to me when I borrowed a mate's DVD playback kit.

It might be on on a 28 inch widescreen for most things though. What were you planning on viewing it with?

cheers,
    Rob.

3. TranceFan

TranceFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    equivalent of I reckon a £60 quid player, although the Toshiba 330 for £80 will be sharper and overall smoother. Ok as an occasional player, and leagues better than ps2 dvd player.

4. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I'm without my Sony DVD Player at the mo, and my Xbox has been a very acceptable replacement.

The picture is not quite as detailed and a little softer, but just checkout the layer-change, what do mean you didn't notice?????;)

5. Dirty Sanchez

Dirty Sanchez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well to be honest my TV is pretty small compared to some of the monsters ive heard about on here! And I have noticed in the dark backgrounds when using the XBOX DVD you can see the pixels kinda 'jerking' about if you know what I mean, I presume that wouldn't happen on a decent player?

What about the 5.1 sound is that any good?

6. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Xbox isn't a very good DVD player to be honest. It has horrendous artefacting issues on dark footage. The £80 Toshiba is light years ahead.

That said, I've patched mine to produce a progressive scan output, which did the job until I got my DVI-output Momitsu V880 :)

7. quadophile

quadophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My son uses it and when we got it the first day we did an extensive comparision of the XBox with the DVD player and we were not very impressed. But we never bought the XBox for watching movies anyway so it does not really matter, if I had known I may have opted not to get the DVD kit though.

XBox graphics are leagues ahead of PS2, the DVD playback on the PS2 was also not very good.

8. Nick Laslett

Nick Laslett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After Nov there will be a new PS2s that will be Prog Scan enabled with built in remote sensor.

9. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I wouldn't consider using a console for watching films. Far too noisy.

10. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Xboxs do vary in the quality of their output. The first and possibly second revisions used a high cost and high quaity video encoder i.c. but then Microsoft decided to change suppliers and went for a cheaper chip on later consoles. I'm sure a internet search will give you more details. However I think contrast was increased on later revisions to the early models (i.e. stronger signal).

Also many of the dvd drives are detuned from the maximum reading ability to try to prevent CDR and DVD-r copies from working. This is meant to prevent piracy but also means these drives aren't brilliant loaders and if a dvd drive can't read a sector on a dvd you get artifacts on screen which is common on the xbox.

Its a pretty low grade dvd player by any standard but does get the job done and of course chipped it gives you access to divx playing etc.

11. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Well, it depends how you connect them up and what software you use.

My Xbox is chipped and runnin DVD-X2 software with progressive scan patch and component vid cables to my Panny AE200 projector and the image is stunning.
    I actually bought a mid range DVD player with progressive output and the Xbox was much much better.

12. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm possible thinking of using a chipped Xbox to get progressive.
    Can you please tell me how easy it is use compared to a standalone DVD player. i.e. can you just insert a dvd and play?
    Also, how noisy is the machine.
    Azzo.

13. vc820

vc820
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Xbox revision 1.2 (manufactured Jan 2003) compares very favourably to my Denon 2800 MKII (£750). I'm using an official Advanced Scart cable for output with the Xbox (RGB). The Denon is using Component output via a Supra AV3 and has a Russ Andrews Reference power cord attached. The differences? The Denon has slightly bolder colours, slightly better sharpness, slightly less artifacts and pixelisation and a slightly better contrast range. You notice I've used the word 'slightly' a lot in my descriptions, that's because that just about sums it all up. The Denon is better all round by in my estimations about 5%, which isn't a lot considering the price difference and of course you can play games on the xbox. Could I live with my xbox if I had to send the Denon away for repair. Most definately.

14. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Well I tried my xbox for dvd movies connected to my ae100 using a microsoft component adaptor and the xbox set for ntsc mode. I was pretty disappointed with the results even with progressive. It seemed to lack contrast and region 2 titles played in ntsc mode looked awful but the setup didn't seem to like the xbox set in pal mode either. I bought a cheap £50 Compacks DVD5000 and it blew it away totally in image, sound, features and compatibility.