Xbox Dolby Gaming & HDR

Deleted member 910896

Reaction score
I have a Philips PUS 7805 which is connected to an Xbox series X using the Xbox hdmi cable.

I have noticed that when I play a game in HDR the tv doesn’t recognise it as a HDR signal and stays in normal ‘game’ mode. Making everyone look horribly washed out.

Even when I enter the Xbox calibrate HDR mode, the xbox says your tv is now in HDR mode please calibrate, I look at the TV settings and it says it’s in SDR game mode. I’ve tried changing SDR modes etc but still no joy.

The Xbox states my tv can take HDR & Dolby Vision Gaming but when I play the new Native adolby Vision games (F1 2021 or Dirt 5) or any standard HDR games my tv never recognises the HDR or Dolby Signal and remains in SDR mode.

The tv correctly identifies when Apple TV sends a Dolby vision signal and displays this correctly.

Anyone else experience this or know of a solution. Ive tried another tv and the HDR mode correctly switches on when the Xbox activated it.
I’ve been really excited to use Dolby vision for games

Thanks all

I had this exact problem with the Dolby vision gaming roll out, turned out that the Xbox firmware update was pushed out on the same day I updated the firmware on my 50pus7805/12 and after two days of trying Xbox support thinking it was that, it turned out to be the tv firmware update I’d taken from the Philips website. Luckily I had the previous version still on my pc and I rolled back to that and it all started working again as it should…

Same issue, updated tv firmware and same time Xbox series update.
Hdr is working correctly for me now ( before was washed out.
But now my Dolby vision and Dolby vision games is outputting in grey, and tv input switches to 12bit sdr
Any chance you can upload that firmware file somewhere?

I really hope Philips are working on a fix or are at least aware of this issue.

I switched off HDR on my Xbox and left Dolby vision for games on but the tv still doesn’t recognise a Dolby signal and just makes the imagine super washed out.

Really annoying as I was excited for this feature !

Same issue, updated tv firmware and same time Xbox series update.
Hdr is working correctly for me now ( before was washed out.
But now my Dolby vision and Dolby vision games is outputting in grey, and tv input switches to 12bit sdr
Any chance you can upload that firmware file somewhere?
I’ll check I’ve still got it tonight when I’m back at my pc - where’s the best place to upload it too? (it’s about 600mb from memory).

The only short term fix I could find was to disable Dolby vision and Dolby vision gaming in the Xbox settings and then it would at least run in hdr/10.

I really hope Philips are working on a fix or are at least aware of this issue.

I switched off HDR on my Xbox and left Dolby vision for games on but the tv still doesn’t recognise a Dolby signal and just makes the imagine super washed out.

Really annoying as I was excited for this feature !
I tried speaking to them (Phillips support), all they said was to update to the latest version of the firmware, and the one they gave was older than the latest on on the website…

Gosh ! That doesn’t fill me with confidence.

The Xbox in HDR calibration mode now activates the HDR mode on the tv but when you try a game on HDR or Dolby vision is doesn’t recognise this and just keeps in SDR mode looking washed out.

I’ll check I’ve still got it tonight when I’m back at my pc - where’s the best place to upload it too? (it’s about 600mb from memory).

The only short term fix I could find was to disable Dolby vision and Dolby vision gaming in the Xbox settings and then it would at least run in hdr/10.
I can’t even get the tv to recognise the hdr10 input from a a game. Calibration mode it works grand and the tv says hdr signal received and you can calibrate the Xbox settings but when you start a Dolby game (F1 2021) or a standard hdr game the tv doesn’t recognise this signal and stays in SDR mode.

@Lander182 thanks a lot, it works!
I had the exact problem that the TV didn't recognize the HDR signal, but only in some games. E.g. Forza Horizon worked in HDR, but Doom Eternal didn't and looked terrible. Now everything is great.

Same problem here, 50 inch Philips PUS7805. Only difference is, not an Xbox One, but my Chromecast with Google TV (Chromecast 2020) won't display the Dolby Vision content properly (started a few days ago) the image is extremely washed out.
Since my Chromecast did not receive any update since June, and a TV has a newly updated firmware I think I found the root cause. It's such a disappointment, I use my Chromecast for everything (Netflix, HBO, Plex, Youtube) and it's much faster than the built-in apps and the Saphi OS. I really hope a fix is on the way

So, this is the TPM206E _ 201.003.098.001– Date: 2021/04/08 firmware - Ive uploaded it to google drive but it wont be there forever as im a little tight on space on my account.

Needless to say i dont take any responsibility should anything untoward happen to your TV, it worked fine for me but i cant guarantee it will be the same for you.

So to be clear, i had the issues listed above when i was running the PM206E _ 201.003.160.001– Date: 2021/09/03 firmware, then downgraded to TPM206E _ 201.003.098.001– Date: 2021/04/08 which sorted the problem for me.

Unzip it, stick it on a blank FAT32 formatted usb, put it in the side port and run the USB update from the settings menu.

Let me know how you get on.

Last edited:
Hello guys. I have same problem too. Also my home cinema system stopped working. I am trying to upgrade old firmware thanks to @Matthew Philp.

Thank you @Matthew Philp ! @Lander182 / @haqoco did it solve the issues ? Any trouble with the downgrade ?

I spoke to Philips's official customer support in my country, they told me that they know about the issue but they "do not support the downgrades, and won't provide me an older firmware". Also the support said, they know nothing about the date of the fix. Since my TV is under warranty, I asked them what should I do then ? No fix, downgrade is not supported, TV is not working as intended. They told me, I should contact the store where I bought the TV. The store told me I can RMA the TV, but they won't give my money back, they'll send me an other one from the same model. I explained them, that an other TV will have the exact same problem, because of the firmware. So at the end they told me, they have zero clue, Philips must sort this out (with a firmware update/downgrade or money) and they will talk to them and they raised an official "quality problem" ticket towards their support.
I don't want to send my TV back, I'm just trying to force out an official answer :D

Yeah I solved problem with firmware downgrade. It works fine now. I dont have any trouble. Downgrade was very easy. Yeah its risky but its worth it. But thats your choice pals...

Hi. So the new firmware for 7805/7855 in available to download OTA. Dolby Vision works now on Series X.

2 display modes appear: DV DARK and DV BRIGHT. No sign of DV game. Tv turns automatically to HDR game (and for me the display now is very vivid and have to change my settings) BUT whey you open the Info menu it says 4k@60 DOLBY VISION. I do not knot how's the input lag.

Hi. So the new firmware for 7805/7855 in available to download OTA. Dolby Vision works now on Series X.

2 display modes appear: DV DARK and DV BRIGHT. No sign of DV game. Tv turns automatically to HDR game (and for me the display now is very vivid and have to change my settings) BUT whey you open the Info menu it says 4k@60 DOLBY VISION. I do not knot how's the input lag.
Whats the new firmware version number please?

C'est ce qui m'arrive sur ma série Xbox X connectée à mon OLED806 sur tout le contenu HDR avec une résolution 4K et uniquement en mode moniteur.

Mod edit: (Please use an English translator)

This is what happens to me on my Xbox X series connected to my OLED806 on all HDR content with 4K resolution and only in monitor mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the new software works perfectly. I played Dante's Inferno yesterday (Xbox 360 game via backwards compatibility). The Xbox turned on AUTO-HDR mode, and the TV stayed in Dolby Vision mode.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom