1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox Dolby digital again.

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by dAvE6, Mar 25, 2002.

1. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm well aware it's supposed to sound pretty fantastic, BUT i have a couple of additional questions:

1. Is it TRUE DD? I.e. Will the blue indicater light on my sony amp light up when it's connected?(My ps2 dosn't light it up even with optical connection as it isnt DD).

2. Is the overall sound QUALITY outstanding as well as the directional coding?

3. Is there a seperate sub channel? How convincig is this in halo? Boom boom?

Thanks.

2. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,208
    1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes (very convincing it allows you to follow the game more easily, Listening for enemies behind left or right)

Cheers Carlos

Edit..sorry thought you ment how convincing is DD 5.1, The sub does work reasonably well adding some weight to explosions.

3. dred

dred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    need help.

my amp only has a digital coaxial input and the advanced scart cable only has a digital optical output...?

any ideas...

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  5. dred

dred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    nice one. the link is very helpful:D

6. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nowhere is selling the xbox advanced scart cable due to shortages. Does anyone here know any online/mail order places which may have them in stock?? cheers.

7. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

Dave, i got mine from an EB store (www.eb.uk.com)
    u might want to order it from them.

Cya,
    Shaz

8. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EB are out of stock until 10 April.

Try THIS

Picked one up from a store today and it works a treat.

9. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave

Just got my HD lead from Hong Kong. Halo is fantastic in DD.

Mine is in 7.1, which is even more convincing as to where enemy is. When they are behind, they really are!!!!!!!!!!! This game should come with a health warning for those with a weak heart.......

Boom boom is great, play mine on a 7ft screen. This really gets the heart racing.

Firing the tank is awesome.

Nathan:p

10. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    1 & 2. Yes

3. The sub-channel is ok but not brilliant. When you shoot your shotgun, it doesn't rumble as you'd expect. The explosions are quite good, but doesn't have the same 'floor-shaking rumbling' punch that you get from explosions in DVD movies such as 'Armagedon' or 'The Matrix'.

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think maplins sell a cheap convertor

12. Retronana

Retronana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Nathan,

I was looking on the lik-sang web site and it makes mention that the Hi def lead won't work with PAL X-Box's...you running a PAL or NTSC machine ?

If PAL I'll asume its OK ?

13. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can it be in true 7.1 when the game is only coded in 5.1?

14. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I think that he meant 7.1 matrix (the surround-back channel signals are taken from surround left & right) , not 7.1 discrete.

15. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Even then it's 6.1 matrixed, because two speakers are being fed the same signal.

16. Army Bloke2

Army Bloke2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even then, it's false. There is no such thing as 6.1. It's something companies like denon and yamaha made up 'cos Dolby (or more importantly, THX) wouldn't let them use the letters "EX" as they didn't subscribe to the licence.

True DD EX soundtracks do have the Matrix EX channel buried in the Surround left & right but Halo is not mixed in EX.

Still sounds bloody brilliant though.:D

17. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Are you sure there is no such thing as 6.1?

I thought that if a DVD movie like 'The Phantom Menace' uses an extra 'discrete' signal for the center-back channel in addition to the 5.1 signal, that should technically make it 6 discrete signals and if you add the .1 subwoofer signal, then that should equal 6.1

18. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    The centre back channal on TPM isn't a discrete singal though. It's marixed into the surround signals a la the Pro-Logic surround channel (matrixed into the 'main' L&R).

There is such a thing as 6.1 though. There is a DTS format which carries a discrete rear signal. Not that anyone's done DTS on the Xbox yet, but I presume it must be possible.

19. Army Bloke2

Army Bloke2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only true 6.1 movies are, quite right, dts es mixed movies. But these are few and far between and 99% on R1 import DVD. Gladiator R1 is ES discrete while the R2 version is ES matrix. The same goes for Chicken Run. Rush Hour 2 R2 is ES discrete as is Se7en.

DTS ES Discrete is not actually a theatrical format, ie, no cinema in the world is equipped for a 6th discrete rear channel, so, in theory, when you are listening to a soundtrack in 6/7.1 discrete, you are not listening to what the director originally made. And that, I thought, was one of the whole points of "Home Theatre".:D

20. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is a UK PAL machine that works fine, component is outputted and digital works fine.

Watch out for taxes etc when ordering, I went for the UPS option for speed.(more that the cost of the lead) Yes it arrived within 3 days, with a Brokerage Surcharge of £10 and £5.56 tax. So lead cost me the end user over £40.

Nathan

21. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a thought!?!

We agree that technically no there is no ES/EX mix on Halo, however, if the stereo rear speakers are sent the exact same single, and you apply the prologic effect, it should sound as if it was behind you. Therefore, if you have a 6.1/7.1 set up, the sound should only come from the back rear speakers. Giving you EX effect

I'm lucky enough to have 7.1 and can say that when playing Halo, in EX, you can turn your back on someone shooting in front of you and they do move behind you. I don't recommend this if your like to live! I can't sit still in the chair playing Halo.

Happy gaming guys.

Nathan

22. Army Bloke2

Army Bloke2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is always "leakage" into the surround back channel if you have EX engaged. Sometimes it sounds better than the 5.1 mix, (Godzila) sometimes it sounds bloody awful! (Forrest Gump).

23. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    So does that mean that there exists no Dolby Digital 5.1 EX soundtracks out there for DVD movies that carrie a true 'discrete' surround-back channel?

24. Army Bloke2

Army Bloke2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We really hijacking somebody elses' thread here, but if it get's out of hand, no doubt a nice friendly moderator will put us right.:D

Right, here we go. Dolby digital comes in all sorts of flavours - from Dolby Digital 1.0 (Mono), to Dolby Digital 5.1. Dolby Digital Surround EX (to give it it's proper name) employs a system where the surround back channel is "matrixed" into the surround left and right. There is no discrete surround back channel but you will still hear the sounds intended for the surround back channel, but from the left or right surround channel.

DTS comes in the same flavours as Dolby Digital with the exception of DTS ES Discrete, which does employ a 6the surround back channel. The sounds for this are not "matrixed" into surround left or right and you play a DTS ES discrete soundtrack through a non compatible amp, you will not hear all that is on the disc. However, ALL ES discrete discs released so far carry an ES "matrix" track as well, so non denon owners will not miss out.

Think of it loke this - Dolby Pro Logic is actually a trhree channel sound format - Right, Left and Rear. The centre channel is actually matrixed into the left & right channelEXACTLY the same way the surround back channel is matrixed into the surround left & right channels.

Bet you didn't know you'd met a know it all on Saturday did you?;)

25. Retronana

Retronana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Cheers Mate:)

26. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    LOL, no I never new you were THAT MUCH of a know it all.
    BTW, have you managed to set up your new amp to your preferences and are you happy with it?

27. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, more than happy now. It's very picky about putting out as much bass as I would like but it normaly takes me a week to set up a new amp to the way I like it. PL II is very good. The only problem I have with it is it has the reported "wavy lines" effect when using s video. I used to connect all my sources to the amp via s video and use it as a video switcher. Can't do that now so have to use cheap 9.99 scart switcher from Argos until I can afford a decent one from Letropacks.

How's the warranty switch going by the way?

28. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Still awaiting their letter containing the policy number to my extended warranty. Don't worry though, they said that they sent it last week so I should definitely receive it sometime next week. I'll let you know when the letter arrives.