Xbox DivX?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by chrislad, Jul 14, 2005.

1. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I'm getting my Xbox modified next week, as I basically want an all in one media player.

Anywho, I read that it can play DivX movies. Can they be run off a DVD, or do they have to be installed onto the HD? Also, what program do I need to view them, and would WinSCP do for ftping into my Xbox? Thanks.

2. Drogo

Drogo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi chrislad,

Got grab yourself XBMC, Xbox media center, its a free download in the new groups... weighs in at about 47mb, thats all - tiny .. but works wonders .... This once installed on your xbox will be able to play everything you throw at it - although to be honest its not good at playing DVD movies... but again there's a app called dvdx for that ..

Back to XBMC, this will play xvid, divx, svcd, .bin files .. quicktime, everything pretty much and the front end is second to none ...

I have my main xbox linked to my Plasma, with a 200 gig HD in it - on here I store lots of things... Xbox is also linked to my PC in my loft/office and I stream movies from shared drives on my PC's ....

If you can link your Xbox with your internet connection, then its well worth doing so, as you can also use XBMC to stream latest game trailers, movie trailers, radio and so much more ...

All in all just a first class product that many people on the scene have help put together ....

If anybody were to say to me, about getting a media center - I would say Xbox and XBMC

Hope this helps

3. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Thanks Drogo. I have a wireless network in the house. Can the Xbox be set up on that if I get a wireless adapter for it? I only got a 40gig HD for the Xbox, but I'll probably update that if I need to.

4. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Yep - it's pretty much the ultimate 'media centre in an easy to use box' although to be fair, setting the whole thing up can be a pain.

The guys who chipped mine with a SmartXX chip couldn't install anything other than the actual hardware (covering their butt for legal reasons) so I had to hunt down all the various proggies needed and figure out how to install them. I know a bit about software installation professionally, so I managed to get it done in 4-5 hours (from knowing nothing). If you were just a regular gamer with minimal computer knowledge it would be a right PITA.

Anyway, now it's done I'm amazed at just how great the Xbox is as a media centre. It's interesting to see what MS have done with the XBox360 as they are almost copying all the features of XBMC. Of course, the 360 will only act as a client to a PC with XP Media Center Edition on it, so it STILL isn't as good as an original Xbox that's been chipped!

Gav

5. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Well, I'm fairly well versed in computers so setting up stuff shouldn't be a problem, and if it is, I really should study some more.

Hell, I'm doing basic factory work for the summer in DELL and I'm fixing PCs here left, right and centre.

6. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    For a simple to use all-in-1 installer go to www.x-disk.com where you will find a good selection. There are usefully bit torrent links for downloading the ISO images too.

7. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Well, I should have my Xbox back to be during the week.

For FTPing into it, I assume a crossover cable and WinSCP will suffice?

8. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi mate the best way to install XBMC + all the other software you would use with your xbox, is to install somethen called deluxe auto installer or even slayers auto installer.

In short words these programes will auto install all the software you would need all at once, with out having to FTP to your xbox...... + spending hours trying to hunt all the software progrmaes down.

you will find slayers on any P2P programe like emule > limeware etc... I recomend you use MIRC thou and connect to a server calles xbins.

enjoy !

9. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    All the stuff I need is being installed for me anyways. I will need to ftp in if DivX files can't be run from a DVD, plus I'm going to be updating my copy of Pro Evo 4 with real jersies and the like, so I need to copy that onto the HD and ftp the replacement files over.

10. mitch

mitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    burn divx files to dvd as an iso and then play on xbmc.you can also stream them from your pc :thumbsup:

11. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Yunno, this is turning out to be the best 120euro I ever spent. :)

(Xecuter 3 chip + installation, as I can't be arsed, and I don't want to risk it)