1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox disc reading

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Chewbacca, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My xbox is having a bad time at the moment time after time I get the Xbox dashboard up and reads please insert xbox game.

The game is inserted and was working perfectly fine say an hour ago but this problem is getting more frequent have you good people got any ideas.

2. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Is th eXbox chipped?

3. Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No Mate Typical the waranty has just run out as well.

The worsed game at the moment is Ghost recon I have even taken the game back to the shop for a exchange.

4. greenthumb

greenthumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you smoke? If so, maybe smoke particles can get inside the laser lens and cause it to misread certain discs.
    I have had similar problems with a cd player. The track that the laser unit used to move backwards and forwards started to stick due to a build up of dust and nicotine, crumbs etc....
    Just a long shot but try a lens cleaner. I had to get mine pulled apart(father is a tv engineer) but once all the crap was cleaned out it read discs again.
    This only happened on long cds, as the laser had to cover more disc area(used to skip awfully at the end of 60min+cds.
    I know the xbox is a dvd player but i would imagine the actual transport mech design is probably nothing new so will eventually suffer the same problems if being bombarded with dust and smoke.
    I mean just look inside a pc case after youve had it for a while, they attract more dust than a bloody Dyson.

5. Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for that Greenthumb I do smoke never thought of that I will give it a clean.

Will Let you no how I get on cheers.:)

6. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 'Disc is Dirty' error is a VERY common problem on xboxes, particualrly the earlier ones.

Another common problem is some of the new games (ghost recon mainly) not playing well with older xboxes.

MS seem to be fixing Xboxes for free at the moment (out of warranty or not) if they think yours in one of the units that are known to be problematic

Ring up MS, tell them your getting alot of dirty disc errors particulalrly on Ghost Recon, they should fix it for free.

7. Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    THANK YOU I will phone MS right away you are a life saver.;)