1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox Daisychain through DV88

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Wilbur, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Wilbur

Wilbur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just run a search on "panasonic connections" and read everything you guys have had to say on the various methods of connection to a screen.

As seems to be generally recommended, I intend to go DV88 to plasma via component leads and sky digibox to vga using an RGB convertor.

My question... do I have to go to s-video with my xbox or can I hook the RGB scart from my xbox to the back of my DV88 and pass through the signal to component when the DVD player is switched off?

Thank you!

2. Wilbur

Wilbur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stupid!:suicide:

Think I've found the answer to my own question, my DV 88 only has a scart output and no input... back to the drawing board...

3. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    I used to pass my PS2 through my digibox to a JS rgb>vga converter and on to the plasma ... RGB all the way then !!

Presume you can do the same with the xbox ... assuming your digibox has more than 1 scart ;-)

rgds

Jon

4. Wilbur

Wilbur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jon,

I'm using a Panny PW4 - am I right in thinking that the VGA input doesn't allow you to use the screen's 'just' mode?

5. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Uh-huh ... do you need'just' for the x-box or sky digi ?

Also depending on when you bought your 4 series you may hav the 'stuck' mode on s-video ... can be defeated by having the input board modded or switching through an amp/etc ...

rgds

Jon

6. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Wilbur - hope your enjoying the plasma!

Just to let you know that the terminal board was modified by AudioVision to fix the 'stuck' mode. You'll have all the relevant aspects available on the svideo connection.

Regards
    Mark.

7. Wilbur

Wilbur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for letting me know. The screen is great, I'm very glad to have taken the plunge! It'll be even better just as soon as it's on the wall...

Kind regards,

Will

8. Wilbur

Wilbur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon, sorry to trouble you again...

I'm definately going to go for the daisy chain approach as you suggest for my digibox and xbox. I have been looking at the JS site as everybody recommends and was wondering which you would recommend, an RGB to S-Video convertor or an RGB to VGA convertor. Clearly the S-Video option is cheaper (both for the leads and the box itself) and it would leave VGA free for my PC but is the quality going to be significantly inferior?

I was interested in the 'just' mode becasue this was how I planned to stretch sky images and also xbox games (after all of the warnings about 4:3 causing screen burn) is there a better way to stretch?

Last but not least... where is the best place to get a 5 metre component lead from (+ the same length of s-video or VGA depending on what I decide)? Was looking at JS and also Keene electronics (more cost effective!)

Thank you!
    Wilbur

9. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Wilbur

I would go for the extra and get the rgb converter ... you will see an improvement in picture quality over s-video ...

Unless you watch a lot of 4:3 pictures off sky then I wouldn't worry too much about screen burn ... I saw that they are making all sky movies w/s later this summer !! ... I prefer 'zoom' to 'just' as I hate seeing people with odd shaped faces !!

with regards to using the vga for a pc ... why not get a vga switch box for pc monitors and put that in-line ... could check with Js but I don't see why it shouldn't work ;-)

For cables I would check out www.cpc.co.uk they have some very good quality and good prices ... not chord/van damme/qed, etc but a better than dixons type of quality ...

rgds

Jon

10. Wilbur

Wilbur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great, thanks Jon.

It's a pitty I missed out on that RGB to VGA box you had up in the classifieds...!

11. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Ensure that you're using the Microsoft Advanced SCART with the XBox. Other's don't have a clean green signal and may cause problems.

VGA route will give you better pictures than S-Video, I'd much rather have you taking full advantage of your screen. After sending quite a bit on the screen, why settle for second best?

Jont:
    If you do have the "stuck" S-Video, I also came up with a solution for that too! Info on it's construction was posted to AVS Forums, but will post here if you wish. I also built some up S-Video Lock Block Circuits (could post pics - but don't have them on this computer) which I swap for DVDs.

Can the Plasma VGA output be switched? Should be fine, but I've not tried this myself. I've heard of other people doing so without any problems.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

12. Wilbur

Wilbur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dr Sim,

I'm taking your advice! Hopefully you've received my cheque today after our e-mail exchange yesterday!

Kind regards,

Wilbur (William Butler)