1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox Connection

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by sh18, Feb 12, 2005.

1. sh18

sh18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    hi, got a couple of questions regarding coneecting xbox to current pc broadband connection.
    i dont want to buy a wireless router coz they cost so much! so how do i connect the xbox to my pcs broadband connection?

2. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Does your PC have a network card? How is the PC connected to broadband, ADSL modem (via USB)?

3. sh18

sh18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    connected via adsl modem (usb), dont know if i have a network card fitted which probably means i dont.

4. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    If you don't have a network card, thats what you will need to fit in order to connect your xbox to your pc. Network cards are cheap as chips these days, sub £20 easily

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    Just had the same situation setting my brother up. He had one of those cheap speedtouch modems that connect via USB. Basically we went for an ADSL modem/router (bought off ebay brand new for £30) and connected the PC to the router via USB and the Console to the router via an RJ-45 cable. Works a treat! I wouldn't bother going down the internet sharing route by connecting the Box direct to the PC as this is notoriously troublesome. You also need to have your PC on whenever you wish to go online with the X-Box.

6. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    just for your information, you can buy a high speed wireless router off ebuyer.com for £45. According to the people who have them they work very well. A router is great for convenience and they work as EXCELLENT firewalls so I personally would advise one for ANY broadband connection.

If you are interested, they are great firewalls because they use a feature called NAT which makes your PCs/laptops/xbox appear invisible on the internet, all that can be hacked is the router - and these are obviously well designed to prevent this!!

7. sh18

sh18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    so if i use a router do i still need to have my pc on so i can use the broadband connection?

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    Nope, that's the point of the router. The internet connection goes into the router (not the PC) and then any compatable device that is connected to the router can access the internet. It also means that you can use a console & PC or 2 PC's at the same time online. All you have to be aware of though is that you are sharing your available bandwidth. If you are downloading something that is using up most of your bandwidth on your PC then your console will not have much bandwidth left to use and this will result in lag.