1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox connection to plasma or IScan Ultra

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Jasonjo, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi All,

I have been doing a bit of research on this, but keep finding contradictory info...

I am looking for the best way to connect a standard UK XBox to a plasma (probs YUV) or possibly via an Iscan Ultra (using YUV).

Should I be able to get the MS High def AV pack and use this with my standard UK Xbox to give a YUV connection? Will this allow me to connect to the plasma for interlaced only? Would this work with PAL games?

A few sites say that the MS High Def AV pack won't work with a UK player, but do they actually mean it wont do PAL progressive???

I have also heard people atalking about Enigmah Video Selector, but think this needs a mod chip to give high res output from a UK Xboix...I assume this is only required though if you want progressive/high res output???

Basically I just need some advice/feedback on connecting my UK Xbox to the plasma (or Iscan Ultra) using a component connection...

Thanks

JJ

2. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MS Hi Def Kit will work with a UK Xbox, and you can get cheaper "clones" on the UK high street.

You're correct, no progressive with PAL

Again correct on the Enigmah disc, you need a mod chip and can then switch to NTSC, unlocking the Hi Def progressive options.

But, since all you want to do is connect to your iScan, you only need the component outputs so either the MS HiDef kit, or one of the alternatives ( I think GAME may stock the Gamester one)

I bought a genuine MS one from

www.mx2.org

Then about a month later chipped my xbox......

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Cheers Jason...thanks for the confirmation...

Spookily enough, mx2 was where I had seen the high def AV pack :)

JJ

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And Jason, if you output progressive, there's a low chance the iscan will like it, it prefers interlaced as an input. Video is stored as interlaced on games etc. in any case, so you just have to work out whether your x box or iscan will do the best deinterlacing job.... doh!

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    actually, if you unlock progressive mode you'll get a much better picture, as the xbox outputs proper progressive - i.e. 480 lines 60 times per second, rather than normal interlaced output which is only 240 lines 60 times per second.

You wouldn't be deinterlacing, you'd be showing the full image, much like a PC monitor running 640x480.

Only possible downside is that your UK xbox might not like running in progressive. Mine gives a blurry output on my projector.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not so with an iscan, they don't like it up 'em in my experience, it's an iscan thing not an x-box thing.

7. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Thanks chaps :)