1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX Connection to Home Cinema

Discussion in 'TVs' started by cknighton, Jan 3, 2005.

1. cknighton

cknighton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    My set up is:

Philips 32" 9509
    Nokia Mediamaster Freeview STB
    Philips LX3750W DVD Home Cinema system
    XBOX
    Sony VCR

I have:
    DVD into Scart 3 of TV
    VCR into Freeview scart
    Freeview into Scart 1 of TV
    XBOX into Scart 2 of TV

How do I utilise the Dolby 5:1 surround sound of the XBOX through my Home Cinema set-up? I bought a separate connection lead from Tesco that purported to do it but I could not fathom it so took it back to the store for a refund. I tried all the options to the point of exhaustion!

On the DVD receiver there is Digital connections:
    Optical
    Coaxial Out
    S-Video and Video
    Aux Audio In/Out

What's the best way to do it?
    Cheers

2. AntF

AntF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The official Xbox advanced Scart lead has a small box in the cable between Xbox and scart connector (to TV). This box has a socket for an optical cable (not supplied) which I think would connect to your amp. I have not yet set my system up, but this is how I understand it should work. Ideally connect the scart to an RGB scart socket on the TV - this can be tricky as the DVD and Freeview box probably prefer RGB as well - you may need a scart multiplier (RGB capable) to get the most from all bits of kit or make a compromise somewhere on the connections. I hope this is helpful.

3. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    It all depends on your priorities, if you have four items going into your three scart sockets then your (DVD or Freeview) may be able to go in and out of your Sony VCR. Leaving a free scart for your XBox and HTK. Some games consoles can be plugged into the front AV sockets on Sony VCR`s.
    Nigel

4. jasi

jasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    get the joytech xbox cable - it comes with a fibre optic cable.
    btw, make sure the optical socket is for input, might just be an out.

5. kojak71

kojak71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My recommendations are based on the following assumptions:
    1. You have the 221T Mediamaster which has 2 scarts and 1 digital output (coax)
    2. You use the X-Box for games. Combined with the advanced scart cable, you will have RGB & 1 digital output (optical)
    3. You use the home theatre system for DVD playback, and the best that this system can output is S-Video if I'm not mistaken. It only has 1 digital input (coax)
    4. Don't know what VCR you have, and don't know what input/outputs it has

Connections as follows

- Freeview TV output to TV Ext1 (RGB)
    - Freeview video output to VCR input (composite, unless your VCR is SVHS, in which case switch to S-Video)
    - Connect your Home system using an S-Video to scart lead to TV Ext2 or use individual connectors to use the TV's side inputs
    - X-Box using official "advanced" scart to TV Ext3

I'm not sure whether the mediamaster's 2nd scart (i.e. AUX Scart connected to a VCR) is a loopthrough. If it is, then you won't have to worry about connecting the VCR directly to the TV, as it will relay the signal through the freeview box. If this is not the case, then you can use the TV's Ext2 or side inputs to connect to the TV directly

You also have to go through each component and enable RGB/S-Video/Composite and/or audio output where neccessary. E.g. on the X-Box you use the dashboard to enable DD/DTS. Your AV system may need to setup, as could you TV's inputs, and freeview box.

I'm not surprised you're confused because there are a couple of stumbling blocks. Digital audio output can be transmitted in 2 different ways, optically or electrically. The X-Box (and PS2) uses optical, whereas your system uses electrical (using a phono jack). The good news is that one can switch from one to the other with an appropriate gizmo (Maplins do them). Assuming you have got around that problem, you now have the problem of the X-Box and the Freeview box both vying for the the only digital input you have on the system. Although freeview does not offer 5.1 sound, I found there to be a very noticeable difference between analogue and digital. If you do decide you want both digital sources, you have a couple of choices here as well:

- Switch over the cables manually
    - Use a phono based switch box, a cheap way to do this is to use an amplifier extender and just use one of the channels.
    - Don't bother with connecting the freeview box digitally to the av system (see below)

And finally I would connect the TV's stereo analogue audio output, to the home cinema's audio input. This will take care of analogue TV broadcasts (i.e. when you are not using the freeview box), and will also pick up the VCR audio. If from the previous section, you've chosen not to connect your freeview box to you av system, this setup will still pick up sound as well.

As you can see things can get a bit messy, but's it's possible to do everything. You will then have to battle with remotes, but a good learning remote will stop you having to juggle all the original remotes. Have fun

6. jasi

jasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Actually, www.audiovisualonline.co.uk also do an xbox cable with a coaxial connection instead of optical, that would solve that problem.

7. cknighton

cknighton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for all your helpful advice.
    I like the sound of Kojaks set up - that will give me an excuse to gett all the wires out again this weekend
    Cheers!!

8. Himji

Himji
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW, if you want the mutz nuts of console cables, go for monster cables. They'll do an advanced scart, they are expensive but you won't get better picture and sound out of your xbox with any other cables