1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox connection PC monitor?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by rigman, Jun 20, 2004.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi

is there any way to connect an xbox to a LCD 17" PC monitor with HD15 and DVI in connection?

Would save me buying a separate TV with all the space saving benefits.

thanks for any help

Darren

2. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Your two options would be an external scaler/de-interlacer (though not all boxes do both) or a PC TV card (preferably using s-video input) and Dscaler software.

Not knowing which option to take or having enough information to hand, I recently decided to try the TV card option first. Of course, it isn't 'perfect'; but I play the games occasionally, not analyse the picture 24-7! Hmm, perhaps I'm in the wrong forum... :laugh:

Just as I was close to deciding on which of the TV cards I was going to buy, 'an offer that I couldn't refuse' :suicide: arrived on the forums. It's the best few :beer: tokens that I've spent recently - and as I come to terms with yet another one of Dscaler's functions, it gets all the better. By the way, this is with a really nasty cable that gave a truly terrible picture when tried (once!) on my TV. Despite all the potential 'flaws' (poor cable, image scaling, TFT screen), I'm really pleased with the result.

For thirty-ish pounds (brand new), it's gotta be worth a try, right? :smashin:

Should the scaler be of interest, a search for Briteview and/or ProV should garner a fair bit of info. There are at least a couple of alternatives, but as the available models were being updated at the time of my last looking, I can't provide much info.

A look here and here will give you a few options.

I've also noticed the cyclic reappearance of three possibilities in a 'Today Only' here.

Finally, I should add that although I haven't seen the results from an external box, I'd be surprised if they hold much of an advantage (if any!) beyond the myriad configurations of Dscaler and a compatible TV card. If you have a reasonably powerful PC (with an AGP graphics card), as I said, it has to be worth trying. I'm glad I did! :thumbsup:

3. DDRUK_Lawrence

DDRUK_Lawrence
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lik-Sang have a range of Xbox to VGA. Check here

4. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Just what I was looking for

thanks guys, I appreciate your time :smashin:

Darren

5. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This is the one you want: http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=222&products_id=4233& as it takes the progressive scan signal and converts it to VGA rather than the other boxes (Apart from the £100 jobbies) that take the interlaced signal and deinterlace it as well as converting to vga, resulting in a worse picture, however the prog scan jobbies only work with prog scan games, which is quite a few to be fair but you'd be sacrificing compatability for image quality.

I have done my VGA conversion slightly differently, I have a bios for my modded xbox that causes it to output native VGA, which produces a stunning picture, however it is not worth playing on my LCD monitor since the output resolution is 640x480 (as will all boxes regardless of type) which is far less that the monitors native resolution, so I only use it on a crt. If you want to produce a similar effect set your desktop resolution to 640x480 and check out the blurries.

6. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I gona say the only VGA xbox lead you need is http://www.x2vga.com/
    Its by far the best, by a long long way.

7. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi peeps.

Im thinking of connecting an iscan ultra to my 22" PC monitor for all my games consoles. What kind of picture quality would i be looking at on the monitor if the iscan is being fed an interlaced picture?

Thanks. :)