1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox component to HS20?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jcrookes, Feb 17, 2004.

1. jcrookes

jcrookes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just received my Xbox Hi-Def pack and tried it with my non-modded UK Xbox, but I’m seeing disappointing results through my Sony HS20. In fact, the projector is handling composite better!

The best way to describe it is horizontal shearing. Imagine a diagonal white line on a black background, with the line running from bottom left of the screen to top right. Instead of the nice smooth line I get with composite I’m getting a saw-tooth effect.

The information menu screen describes the composite video signal as “VIDEO/50”, while the component signal is “575/50i”. I do plan to mod my Xbox, and I know as it is now it’ll only do 575/50i, but I was still expecting better results than this.

This effect is most apparent when DDE is set to “Progressive” or “Film”, but it still there when set to “Off”. Either way, composite looks better! Assuming its an interlace problem, I think the HS20 should be handling it better than it is.

Anyone got any thoughts on what I’m missing and how I can improve things?

Cheers,

Jon

2. Rattus

Rattus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, thats odd. I'm running component from PS2 and Gamecube into my HS20, and not seeing this sort of problem. In general the component PQ is slightly better than even the S-Video.

I have noticed some tearing in Jak2, but I certainly was assuming that was the game engine rather than the projector scaler, but I'll look into it after reading your post. It may be the deinterlace setting or something like that.

I'll let you know if I find anything useful.

Good luck

Martyn

3. jcrookes

jcrookes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don’t misunderstand me, it’s not a severe as full screen tearing, but it is quite noticeable when watching a DVD. To be honest, I haven’t played any games recently so I can’t yet confirm if this is present with games.

Anyone else with a non-modified UK Xbox noticing this? How about you guys with modded machines?

Cheers,

Jon.

4. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Have none modded XBOX and all games play fine

dead or alive plays quit happily in 60htz mode and i use the hidef pack with component out.

Not seeing any tearing either

5. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    you cant get progressive scan from a non modded uk machine, so the best you could get is RGB and rgb from the xbox is not the best anyway.

get the machine modded, set it to ntsc and all the hi def options will appear. and you'll be able to use the hi-def pack as its meant to.

btw, where did you get the pack? is it the one from game or the official us one?

6. jcrookes

jcrookes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the Xbox mainly for DVDs these days, and all movies I've tried show this problem. Interestingly though I tried KOTOR and Halo last night and both were fine!

Looks like I'll have to get it chipped sooner than anticipated then. Hopefully that'll sort out the problem.

The Hi-def pack is the official Microsoft product bought from play-asia.com . I got this company from one of Kramer's postings, and I'm very pleased with the price and speed of delivery. Total cost was around £20.

Jon.