Xbox Cloud Storage

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
With the new 'metro' dash came a cloud storage feature. There were a lot of questions about this during the new dash preview, so a post went up answering pretty much everything, but I was still unsure about the local to cloud syncing part of the process. Upon reading an Xbox support page, it has just clicked!

Here is the link to the Xbox Support Cloud Storage page:

Store your saved games in the cloud

Once you enable this feature, the cloud storage share you can access in System > Settings > Storage is in fact a local cache, then when you finish a session the game save in this cache is synced to the cloud. This is where I got confused, because I thought this share was your cloud space, i.e. you were looking at your share on a server somewhere, and not space reserved on your local machine that is then synced to the cloud.

The Xbox.com post includes a table that explains what the different sync statuses mean, so I will replicate that in this post when I can access that thread (it's blocked where I am at the moment).

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
How do I know my files are in the cloud?

Pending Upload
The file will be uploaded to cloud storage when the user is in the Xbox Dashboard, or done through background downloads.

In sync
Your file was uploaded successfully.

Out of sync
The cloud file and your local file are not the same. You will be asked which file to keep the next time you launch the game.

Cloud only
The file exists in cloud storage but has not been downloaded to that console.

The owner of the file is offline.

Not cloud supported
That type of file cannot be uploaded to the cloud but may be required to run the game locally. This often contains settings or data like replays that are used by anyone on the console.

If you see these files in the cloud, they won’t be uploaded and you can’t download them at another console. The game may require them to be on the same device as your other save files.

If a game creates a lot of these files and they start to fill up your cloud device, you should consider moving them out to a different device (or deleting them if you no longer want to keep them).

ghost5

Novice Member
when I start a game I get an option if I want to use hard drive or cloud storage.

I don't get what the difference is? If I've already copied and set up synchronization then the cloud storage will be the most up to date.

Why doesn't it default to the cloud.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
It's because the console sees it as another storage device, like when you've got a USB stick connected to the console and the game save is only on the hard drive, yet it still prompts to choose a storage device.

alan280170

Distinguished Member
I assume that if you save to the cloud, you would have to manually back it up to your HHD/memory stick. Also does save your DLC packs etc to the cloud?

Cheers in advance.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
alan280170 said:
I assume that if you save to the cloud, you would have to manually back it up to your HHD/memory stick. Also does save your DLC packs etc to the cloud?
Correct. You can move/copy saves between the cloud storage and regular storage like normal.

The cloud storage is only for game saves and not for DLC.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
Map packs can be moved between the hard drive and external storage and they will be in your download history, so you can download them on another console.

kirkie

Standard Member
I want to enable cloud, but I don't have enough free space. Is it possible to set up without losing any data on the console?

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
kirkie said:
I want to enable cloud, but I don't have enough free space. Is it possible to set up without losing any data on the console?
As far as I know it uses part of the hard drive's cache that is already reserved by the system before your free space. I'm sure it will prompt you if it's unable to create the cloud partition.

ghost5

Novice Member
Well I've been screwed over by using cloud storage. Some idiot at the phone exchange has swapped my number with someone else's so I'm without a land line or internet for a few days.

Last night I fired up media center, on the Xbox, and tried watching BBC 1 HD, recorded HD shows and some movies but for some reason it kept asking me to download the media update again. I've done a bit of Googling and it seems you need an internet connection to watch things using this add on even though it is saved on my hard drive.

Then I fired up some games but I couldn't access my saved games from the cloud with no internet even though they are cached on my hard drive.

Why oh why Microsoft did you design the system this way? If somethings on my hard drive let me use it whether I'm connected to the net or not.

The game saves will be moved back to my hard drive as soon as I'm connected again, but the media update thing has really annoyed me.

ghost5

Novice Member
If I unplug the phone line from the router I can then copy my game saves back and it stops asking me about the media update

Griffith400

So...if I use the Cloud storage for Game Saves (be more secure in case of a hard drive failure/console failure) but then I lose my Internet connection for some reason, it doesn't allow you to load from the local cache???

I might just make a manual backup to USB instead!

I had hoped that because it 'syncs', that any Internet or XBox Live outage would mean it would revert to the local copy automatically?

Steve.

GokuSS4

Banned
Cloud is a joke, it takes around 522mb from your hard drive and allocates that as cloud storage, you cannot even choose how much space you want and also that it takes it off your hard drive space is a joke.

Griffith400

GokuSS4 said:
Cloud is a joke, it takes around 522mb from your hard drive and allocates that as cloud storage, you cannot even choose how much space you want and also that it takes it off your hard drive space is a joke.
I could live with that if it meant it syncs anything selected for cloud storage in that local space.

However, I'm concerned whether or not you could still use games if your Internet or Xbox Live service was down? After all, not all games are played against online opponents.

I want to confirm that if I select to use Cloud Storage, does it sync that save with the hard drive (it says it is when you connect) so that if my phone line or Internet connection is down, is the game save still available locally???

GokuSS4

Banned
I could live with that if it meant it syncs anything selected for cloud storage in that local space.

However, I'm concerned whether or not you could still use games if your Internet or Xbox Live service was down? After all, not all games are played against online opponents.

I want to confirm that if I select to use Cloud Storage, does it sync that save with the hard drive (it says it is when you connect) so that if my phone line or Internet connection is down, is the game save still available locally???
I think the best way to check is to move a save to cloud, and also when saving select cloud as the storage device and then check to see if that same save has also been copied to the hard drive.

If not then theres the answer, however I think it might be like that as its supposed to offer another means of storage to be accessed anywhere.

But either way thats 1 feature I will not be using.

Griffith400

GokuSS4 said:
I think the best way to check is to move a save to cloud, and also when saving select cloud as the storage device and then check to see if that same save has also been copied to the hard drive.

If not then theres the answer, however I think it might be like that as its supposed to offer another means of storage to be accessed anywhere.

But either way thats 1 feature I will not be using.
Yeah, don't really want to risk any saves and then find I can't go back or have a problem. I'd be well annoyed if I lost hours & hours of work.

Guess I can test with the next new game that's had no time put into it.

It's all a bit vague and I've not found any confirmed answer on a number of sites I've checked.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
The Cloud Storage share is an allocation of hard drive space, so when you move/copy saves to it, they are still stored locally, just in a different place on the hard drive. The difference is this share is linked to the cloud and any data in it is synced to a server somewhere. If the cloud server is unavailable, the game saves are still accessible via the Cloud Storage space on the hard drive, as if it's just another storage device connected to the console, and then when the cloud is available again, the system will sync the updated save file to the cloud.

When you sign onto a different console and enable the Cloud Storage share on that device, it will grant you access to the cloud saves that have been synced previously from the other console and these are stored locally in the new 360's Cloud Storage share. Now when you use the save on either console, the most recent version is synced to the cloud and then synced to the console with the out-of-date save the next time you use the other console.

What I don't know is how quick or often the syncing happens.

Griffith400

Thanks Marky,

Yeah, I understand what you've described but what threw me was the oat from Ghost 5 earlier in the thread.

What he seemed to say was that he had problems when he lost his Internet connection? Despite the save being local, because he was set to 'cloud saves' and that being unavailable, he couldn't actually play or use the save game?

Implied that the save is 'marked' as a cloud save so couldn't be loaded with selecting it via Cloud Storage!

Do you see what I'm saying? I like the idea of a Cloud Backup (I only use one console) but would hate to lose access when I have a phone line, Internet issue. I don't live in London (actually, nr Stirling in Scotland) so my Internet is much slower and less reliable!!

Steve.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
The only thing I can suggest to test the Live requirement is to disconnect your console from your network, so you can only sign into your Live profile in an offline state, and then see what it does when you try to access a game save in Cloud Storage.

Griffith400

Thanks buddy,

Yeah, I agree. Think I'll wait till I start a new game though. Don't want to risk corrupting an important save that's still in use!

silvercue

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I am confussed about this feature and none of the posts above help me.

If I use cloud save option so I can use a different console, do I have to have a copy of my profile to take to that console also? Games like FIFA for example. Or can I save a profile somehow to cloud?

If I have to copy profile via USB or memory card and then use cloud I don't think it is what I am after.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
Just think of the Cloud Storage as an additional storage device.

Enable it on your console, copy/move your save(s) to it, go to the other console, sign in with your Gamertag, enable Cloud Storage and it will download your previously copied/moved Cloud saves to that console.

silvercue

Distinguished Member
Just think of the Cloud Storage as an additional storage device.

Enable it on your console, copy/move your save(s) to it, go to the other console, sign in with your Gamertag, enable Cloud Storage and it will download your previously copied/moved Cloud saves to that console.
So there is no need to copy profiles with this enabled?

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published