1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox cables

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Greg Hook, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +9,339
    Hi

Just got a Crystal Pal Xbox so expect lots of newbie questions. :suicide:

Firstly, without modding it, what cables should I get to get the very best picture from it? For RGB to the TV and also component to projector. Plus digital sound to the amp.

Getting glasses this weekend so I am probably going to start noticing how crappy my current picture is!

Thanks
    Greg

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,882
    Cant go wrong with the Official MS Advanced scart for about £20

3. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It's a (controversial) fact that the Xbox has crap RGB output compared to the other consoles. I use the official RGB cable, which costs £20, and it is very poor unless you adjust the TV's colour setting drastically (otherwise it looks very washed out and drab)

So, IMO, any RGB cable is suitable - Joytech make a very good one for about £10 iirc. Make sure you buy one that has a 'break-out box' for optical digital output though...otherwise you're stuck with just plain stereo. It's a little box near one which the scart cable runs through, and it has a TOSLINK (ie optical) connector at one side. Just connect an optical cable to this and into your amp and enable digital output via your Xbox settings menu. Games will then output digital audio automatically

I don't know how you would handle RGB and component output with the use of an adaptor of some kind. You may have to just switch between the two every time you want to swap. You have to buy a component kit, which I can't seem to find online for some reason. Someone else should be able to help you there though

4. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,339
    Thanks for the replies.

I wouldn't want an RGB/component all in one solution. Quite happy with swapping the cables over.

Thanks
    Greg

5. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    I've currently got an MS advanced cable and I'm quite happy with it. It goes into a Quattro scart switcher which then has two outputs one to my tv (rbg scart) and one to a rgb -> component converter which then goes to my projector (well, via a Iscan).

I'm just waiting for premodded to come back from holiday so I can get him to chip the player. I can then try out prog scan direct from the xbox... I'll need a MS Hidef kit (from the US) to take a component feed straight from the xbox.

6. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    Oh yea, both the MS Advanced cable (RGB Scart) and MS Hidef cables have optical outs to feed your amp to get lovely 5.1.

and I think you can use the MS Hidef without chipping, It'll just mean you only get interlaced...might be worth checking that :)

7. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,339
    Thanks JUS, I will look into that.