1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox cable query

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Hem, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Hem

Hem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Quick question, does anyone know if it's possible to get a cable to output coaxial digital from my Xbox, or can it just output optical? My tv only has Coax inputs for DD.

Probably going to buy the Joytech AV leads but this only looks as though it has optical and RCA.

Any info appreciated. Cheers.

2. KelvinHT

KelvinHT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  3. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is all very well but a buyit now price of £17.99 plus P&P
    get your arse to game £14.99 no P&P and none of the wait for mr postman

mine's a :beer:

4. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've never seen anything like that in Game myself :( or the one in leeds doesn't ever have anything like Hi-def kit for Xbox in.

would get one myself if they did

Gary

5. Hem

Hem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    My thoughts exactly, I doubt very much if Game would stock anything like this. Anyway, thanks Kelvin for the link to ebay. Have been trying to work out the cheapest route, either this or the Joytech AV cable with a optical to coax converter from Maplin for the audio.

Bit of a luddite, never used ebay. Maybe it's time I changed that...

6. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I am using the exact same cable for my xbox at the moment so no fears on that one mate. The image it offers is just as good as the official HDTV pack on my plasma as i have both but for some reason my official pack won't output audio through the optical output.
    The cable also outputs s-video,component and composite scart not RGB and it also offers optical and coaxial digital audio.

7. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hem - I went into our local Gamestation last friday and they have the gamester hi-def kit in in their 2 for £30 deal.

this one: http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?ProductCode=XB0696

Gameplay do it for £14.99 which includes p&p, gamestation is £19.99 if bought separately or £15 if bought with something else in the 2 for £30 (control pads, keyboards, games, steering wheels, dance mat etc)

regards
    Gary

8. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I have experience of the Gamester high deff kit and it wasn't a good one, on my plasma the image was no where near as sharp as what i am using now and the image suffered from a severe haunting effect that scared me ****less (ghosting:laugh: )
    I would stear clear of the Gamesterhigh deff pack thats only my experience though, other people from this very forum say it works fine for them :confused:
    You cannot go wrong with the cable i am using and what kelvinHT has posted a link to but it does state it does RGB, however mine doesn't but i'm using component anyway :thumbsup:

9. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fuzzybee - I emailed one of the folks that had purchased the unit from ebay asking him what his experience was regarding the unit.

He also stated that it doesn't do RGB Scart as the info says (IIRC the guy selling the item confirmed this in the end to the purchaser), so the guy is still miss representing wha this box can do.

Although for component and the digital audio it would do fine

I would assume that if the gamester one was poor quality, then it could be returned to the shop??

Will get one of the Hi-def kits at some point, probably when I get my xbox chipped etc

regards
    Gary

10. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    nealgs

It's Fuzzybee with a ZZZZZZzzzzz not fuzzybee with a SSSssss as Fuzzybee with a SSSsss goes SSSsss not ZZZzzz :nono:

Sorry :confused:

If you've heard Twist in my Sobriety by Liza Minelli done by the PSB's you will understand what i mean

Couldn't resist :smashin:

11. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DOH! - I actually read your id before i typed it in, curse my podgy fingers :)

Gary

12. Hem

Hem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Damn, i've just gone and bought the ebay kit - and now you're telling me it doesn't do RGB? Looks like my first ebay experience isn't going to be a good one!

Actually I had planned to use the s-vid output as all my RGB scarts are in use, however the option of RGB would be nice. We'll have to wait and see.

13. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    i'm using one of those ebay boxes, although i found one on ebay for £12.99 inc postage

the optical out wouldn't figure on my HK amp, but the coaxial digital out works fine, and coaxial always sounds better than optical anyway.

haven't tried the scart/component, but s-video is very good through a Black Rhodium cable. Certainly a huge step up from OEM cable

14. Hem

Hem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Well, got the ebay kit and...low and behold it definately doesn't do what it says on the tin! No RGB output from scart, just good old composite.

Bit annoyed to be honest, don't know what ebay policy is but as Nealgs said, this guy is is misrepresenting his product and contravening trading standards with his advertisment.

On a brighter note the coaxial digital output works very well, never realised the xbox could sound so good!

Anyway, I'm off now to buy a s-video lead. Any recommendations on which is a good lead to buy? I'll have a quick trawl through the cabling section on this forum - hopefully be able to get something decent without spending silly money!!!