1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox Burnout 3: 4.1 Sound?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by daveb975, Sep 21, 2004.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    I have recently acquired an Xbox, and Burnout 3. I was initially blown away by the DD sound on the game, but have since noticed that the sound on other XBox games is occasionally even better.

On closer inspection, I notice that Burnout 3 give no in-game sound from the centre channel.

Has anyone else noticed this.

I don't think that it is a problem with my Xbox or surround system, as other games give a full 5.1 sound.

I am using the MS Advanced Scart cable, with the optical lead connected to my amp. The amp registers a dolby digital source.

2. janmars

janmars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yep, it seems that Burnout 3 doesn't use the centre speaker. Hadn't noticed this before. I use the same cable as you, with a 5.1 amp...

I guess the game just uses a 5.1 carrier signle but only actually uses 4.1...though saying that...I haven't checked how much it actually uses the sub either...

3. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    It seems to use the sub signicantly - The LFE meter on my amp runs high!

4. smokingreen

smokingreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I noticed another EA title - SSX3, showed up as 5.1 on my amp, but actually had no LFEs at all. Suppose it could be a short cut to make multi console titles easier?

5. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    The PS2 doesn't support DD5.1 at all but some companies have managed to make DTS4.0 through software. My guess is that EA is mixing it's soundtracks in 4.0 for compatibility with the PS2 so the don't use the centre channel. It could be that the XBox will automatically route low frequency sounds to the subwoofer channel, making the Xbox tracks 4.1

Gav

6. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    It's got nothing to do with the ps2 version, thats in PLII quite a few games on the xbox come up as 5.1 on the amp but are only DD4.0 or 4.1
    In anycase a good PLII soundtrack is as good as anything the xbox can offer in DD5.1 especially when many soundtracks are recorded in stereo then reverb added to give the illusion of 5.1

:smashin:

7. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It does have something to do with the ps2 version, iirc the burnout games are built on the renderware engine (a multiconsole/pc development engine), and the sound is coded in that code. Seeing as there is no GC version of the game, its probably been coded into DTS 4.0 and the LFEs being routed as a dedicated channel on the xbox version.

and lmfao that DPLII is as good as 5.1 (games are CODED into 5.1, not upmixed in most cases).The XBox contains a soundstorm APU which is used on NForce2 PC boards to create realtime 5.1 sounds), some how I don't think its been put in there to upmix to 5.1 (read pro-logicII)

8. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    My amp detects the sound in Burnout 3 as 'DD5.1', but on the PS2 version of SSX3, for example, it detects 'DTS4.1'.

The centre speaker is still enabled when playing Burnout, where as the amp disables it for SSX3, and other PS2 DTS games.

9. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    It has nothing to do with the PS2, as title of this thread is "XBox Burnout 3: 4.1 Sound?" notice the keyword XBOX, it wasn't until gavan mentioned the PS2 for no apparant reason that it got brought up.

Yes it does, just not in-game. iirc the INTRO to Wipeout3 is in DD5.1 plus 99.99% of DVD movies are in DD :)

Utter, utter :censored: Please engage brain before posting, thankyou :lesson:

10. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: stop it your killing me :rotfl: dont talk rubbish :hiya:

11. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    The reverb statement was taken from an article from EDGE magazine so i hope your not saying they talk rubbish.
    On my system a good PLII soundtrack on the GC like Eternal Darkness for example can and does sound just as good as anything i have on the xbox via DD, the ps2 is also good in PLII but not up to the GC standard

12. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Why don't you calm down a bit? This isn't USENET you know....

I didn't mention the PS2 for 'no apparent reason'. The thread was about why the centre speaker wasn't used on XBox burnout. My take is that it is something to do with the fact that true 5.1 sound isn't available on the PS2 but 4 channel DTS is on the PS2 (through software). Therefore it's not unreasonable to assume that the games are being designed with 4 channel surround in mind - hence no centre speaker on the XBox version.

I don't know for sure if this is the case, but I certainly wouldn't discount it.

Gav

13. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Gavan, i am calm, just making a point. Whats USENET?

:rotfl: :rotfl: Nice one mate.