1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX - banned from live (hope not against rules)

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by dUnKle, Nov 27, 2004.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    If breaches rules please close and delete (sorry)

Anyway - my modded XBOX (of good few months) has been banned from Live with the introduction of HALO 2

Was not that bothered until PES4 came out and realised I would like to try it on Live

If I re sign up on my modded box will it allow me to do so ( given understanding that it does ban on changes that take place AFTER the subscription ) or do I need to get new XBOX

Thanks

2. allanp

allanp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I take it you turned the chip off when going on live? There is still some speculation of why people are getting banned, but it seems to stem from having changed the contents of the C and E drives. If you have any unsigned xbes this seems to get you banned, also if you have changed the HDD. There is a way to unban yourself, but if you have anything changed you will just get banned again.

3. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,616
    Have you tried over at XBOX-SCENE Duncan ? there was lots of discusion on it over there when it was happening . Think they narrowed it down to the hard drive,but don't quote me on that
    JS

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    AFAIK Live bans the X-Box itself, as each X-Box will have a unique identifier either MAC address or something else.

I would think that the only way forward would be to purchase a normal un-modded X-Box. If you try to sign up a new account it still won't let your X-Box connect.

5. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Thanks for that

Only really want live for PES (and maybe Forza when its out) so will look at trading some games in against it

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    It seems that microsoft are now checking the hard drive serial number, I take it that you have been on live with your original hard drive and then again with the upgraded drive?
    This is why so many people are now getting banned.

7. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Your ban wil be based on your Xbox's Eeprom (although how they determine who warrants a ban, and who doesn't is a little unclear right now - the suggestion by Gizarloc is tha favoured option for now).

Signing up a new Live account won't work unless you manage to change your Eeprom first i'm afraid...

K.

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,728
    Yep the "marriage" theory seems to hold the most water and is based on the following:

1) when you join xbox live for the first time M$ record the serial number of your Hard Disc & your Eeprom.

2) if you change either your eeprom or HD in the future then the marriage is broken and the serial(s) no longer match what M$ hold on file - your box is then banned.

3) As you can use you live account on any box you want and M$ only records (according to this theory) the Serials from the HD & Eeprom of the box you use it on there is a possible solution. If you change the eeprom & the HD in the box then Live thinks that it's a new box. If you do account recovery on your "new" box then you should be unbanned as only the box is banned not your account. A new small HD (say 40gb) is pretty cheap as is a new eeprom (apparantly - i've never bought one but i've read a fair bit on XBOX-SCENE about this)