xbox backwards compatibility

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Captain Beaky, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Captain Beaky

Captain Beaky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    is anyone aware that M$ has changed its stance on sorting out any more games to be backwards compatible? - ive still got a lot of games i really enjoyed playing and am crippled without a 360 patch - outrun 2, prince of persia 3, and im dieing to get back into beyond good and evil.

2. akane_1984

akane_1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    i still have marvel nemesis id like to play on 360.

3. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    the list on xbox.com hasn't been updated since decemeber, maybe they've forgotten about it

4. Steve-L

Steve-L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Not sure if you are asking us if they have changed their stance or telling us they have?

Regardless, I haven't heard anything to suggest they have, but by the obvious lack of updates for months I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover there have been some revisions to their original intentions... :rolleyes:

5. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Not to sound like Im starting a console vs console war or anything, but its this kind of disregard to what the customer owns by Microsoft that gives Sony another brownie point. At least they can say all their previous Playstation games will work on the PS3.

Im not happy at all that Microsoft havent done anything about backwards compatibility in the grand scheme of things. They should care about those who have taken the plunge and gone for an Xbox 360 when they had a previously large Xbox 1 library.

6. redmarkred

redmarkred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    It is annoying! But if you really want to play xbox games you can pick up a second hand xbox for £50. They run a lot better as well:smashin:

7. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    That's my only big dissapointment with the Xbox360, no updates to the B/C list since december, however you look at it that is pretty slack. I still have a load of games I'm dying to play, most of which I bought after selling my original Xbox(at that time the talk seemed to indicate most of the AA titles would be B/C).

Personally I wish I:

a. Hadn't bought alot of the games after selling my Xbox, as with all the releases coming soon the games soon wont be woth picking up

b. Sold the ones I had earlier on ebay while they still had some value to them.

The following classic titles are nothing more than beer matts right now, such a waste:

Farcry Instincts
    GTA: San Andreas(despite being on the list & me buying it for that reason)
    Top Spin
    Chronicles of Riddick
    Burnout 3
    Links 2004
    Oddworld Stangers Wrath
    Outrun 2

Surely these games are begging for some attention, I'm starting to wonder if M$ are even going to bother with them now due to sequels(annoying as I'd like to have the choice to play the originals rather than having to shell out £40 for a shinnier version).

Well, that's got that off my chest, now......realax.....:rolleyes:

8. Steve-L

Steve-L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    That's not really the point - they promised that ALL xbox games would be made compatible, but to date only around 200 have been. Of those a great many don't actually work properly, and fewer still work if you have a VGA cable. I speak from personal experience here... I have 60 Xbox games, 10 are on the "compatible" list and only 2 actually work for me. More than 3 months on and this just sucks, no two ways about it. :thumbsdow

The fact that brand new XBox titles are not made to work on the 360 "off the shelf" is also highly suspect, for those of a conspiratorial bent... at least.

Personally I think that either they have realised that they just can't get all the games working properly within their time/budget constraints - or that it is a deliberate ploy to leave people with no choice but to buy 360 games. Just my own opinion of course :)

9. yaris123

yaris123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im sorry guys but the xbox 360 is a completely different machine has as different architecture to that of its predeccessor, the time involved with beta testing all these games is huge. They never gave a time period as to when all games would be available everyone just asummed. Microsoft have put a bloody lot of effort into trying to sort everything. I think a bit of patience wouldnt go amiss.

10. Steve-L

Steve-L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I bought mine on on release day, beginning of December, we're now half way through March - nearly 4 months! Patience has its' limits... :rolleyes:

11. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Exactly. We all know they needed to work on the backward compatibility, but for what theyve promised theyve been lacking on an epic scale. Anyone who has "played" Forza for example will know what I mean.

Microsoft have simply failed to live up to any kind of expectation with regards to backward compatibility, and I agree with Tetlee, with all the excellent positives that can be taken from the introduction of the Xbox 360, this can be regarded as a BIG disappointment.

12. yaris123

yaris123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes but the expectation has been created by you not microsoft, they only stated that they will work to get all games backwards compatible. Im sorry but that takes on awful lot of time. And if you want to compare it with PS2 thens thats great but in all honesty i would rather microsoft put there arse in gear and went forward and not backwards. After all it is a next gen console not a current generation.

13. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    I understand that it takes time to emulate each game, but that just doesn't excuse the neglect. I mean read the line "The folks at Xbox® are working hard to add more of your favourite games to this list, so check back often for the latest updates" taken from the official Xbox360 website, I've been checkng back often for nearly four months with no change whatsoever!

I don't expect loads of games to be added every month, but you'd think they could've at least added a few since december 2005 surely:rolleyes:

14. yaris123

yaris123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as i was aware the next batch was for this month and we are only half way through so its still highly likely that this will take place.

15. DIRY

DIRY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    'scuse me if I'm being really stoopid here :oops:

But - wasn't Halo2 pretty much the pinacle of pushing an Xbox to its limits?
    I know this is an arguable fact, but bear with me for a mo ;)

Someone, somewhere, managed to write some sort of emulator to get it running (gloriously!) on a 360.

Are MS really trying to tell us that the likes of Links 2004 is making all sorts of calls to the Xbox processor that Halo2 doesn't?

Basically - once you have written a decent emulator, what is stopping it from being used for all games?

Or like I said - am I being overly simplistic in my view?

16. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Why work on "the next batch" when most of the games theyve already said were backward compatible in fact run as roughly as a badgers arse on the 360?

I'd ideally like over 10 frames per second that Forza gives us on the 360. That'll be nice. :mad: