Xbox audio upgrade

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by jimbobjim82, Feb 10, 2009.

1. jimbobjim82

jimbobjim82
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have my xbox (original) hooked up to my pink triangle DAC. The sound is really good but I just want to know if it's possible to go even further.

I have found out that the clock crystal in an xbox is 27.0000 mhz, would it be possible to change it for an xo3.2 low jitter clock for improved sound quality?

2. Member 310233

Member 310233
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How do you hook it up to the DAC? I run XBMC on an original Xbox and would love to use it for MP3's but the analogue output on it sounds horrible.

3. jimbobjim82

jimbobjim82
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need an advanced scart with optical out. Xbox Advanced SCART Cable This will not only improve sound, it will also enable you to output RGB via scart for a much better picture (assuming your TV has RGB scart sockets)

Or you can get an advanced high def AV pack. Games Anytime These were only released for NTSC consoles so you'll probably need to get one imported. You also need to switch your machine to NTSC (very easy) to be able to select high def output. For some reason us poor PAL users didn't get the option. You will need component in on your TV for this cable.

I use the high def pack and am running at 720p on my panasonic viera. Some of the games look and sound far better than I ever thought possible on this old machine:)

You can also do a very simple modification to either of the packs, for adding a digital coax out. Wrongcrowd.com - Adding Coax/SPDIF Audio Output to the Xbox

I think I have a couple of spare advanced scarts if you're interested.

Lastly, try to buy official Microsoft packs as they are the best quality.