1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox as multi region DVD player

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Aladdin, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Aladdin

Aladdin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have acquired an xbox that has a mod chip installed (I don’t know which one). It is an NTSC machine and plays region 1 DVDs using the official Microsoft remote control (also US origin). However, when I try to play a region 2 DVD the xbox tells me that it’s not a DVD from the right region.

This is not too much of a problem at the moment but one day I’ll return to England and the ability to play region 2 DVDs will be more important. (At the moment I’m trying to watch ‘The Office’ on region 2 that everybody seems to be raving about).

I understand that the Datel Region X software could be a solution but this isn’t available yet and I gather that I’ll need to use it every time I play a non-home region DVD which would be a bit of a pain.

I’ve also heard of something called DVDX. I can’t find much information about this but it seems like it might be what I need. If it is, and I can find it, then I’m a bit stuck anyway as I don’t have any kind of burner to create a disk to load onto the xbox.

I will be in the UK from Friday for a few days so if DVDX is the way to go then does anyone know where I can get hold of a DVDX CD?

Also, is there any danger of messing up the system software of the xbox by loading something like DVDX.

If DVDX is not the solution then does anybody know what else I can do?

Any help will be much appreciated.

2. MegnCalvin

MegnCalvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hello - I use a little program called DVDX2 to watch multiregion disks on my chipped UK Xbox. There are two ways to use it. Either install EvoX and FTP the program from PC to Xbox or turn the program into an ISO and burn it to CDR (doesn't need to be DVD!). Most chips these days have the eject fix (the Xbox doesn't reset when you press eject). Put the DVDX2 disk in wait for the menu to appear press eject then put the DVD in. Because you are booting the program from CD you are not actually changing any of the software already on the Xbox so you won't break anything. If you FTP files over you could wipe everything on your Xbox and blame me - but if you know how to network your Xbox, configure EvoX and set up an FTP program then you will probably know what to select when you are asked

"Do you really want to delete every single file from your Xbox cause you'll break it if you do - Yes/No"

DVDX2 works for all films I've tried so I haven't had to buy the DVD kit. If you can find someway of getting the file onto CD I can bung it on my website and email you the link. The program is only a couple of MBs in size.

3. Aladdin

Aladdin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I'll have a hunt for DVDX2 and then get a mate to make it into a CD.

4. MegnCalvin

MegnCalvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No need to hunt - www.megncalvin.fsnet.co.uk
    DVDX2 is...well DVDX2
    you also need the ISO maker to turn the files into an ISO which can be read by the Xbox. When you run the ISO maker it looks for the default.xbe in the root folder of the dir you want to convert.

If you get stuck give me a shout!