1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox as DVD player

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by paiger, Aug 14, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody tell me how the Xbox performs as a DVD player? At the mo I have a DVD/SACD player and am thinking of getting a dedicated CD player and an Xbox instead. What will I be missing out on?

Can it do multiregion? How does the picture compare to a reasonable DVD player (with the Svideo conector)? Does it work OK with Wide and 4:3 material? Will I get DD and DTS if I connect it to my reciever with an optical link?

I don't watch that many movies but would like to keep the flexibility of my current player with different formats. I'm not fussed about zoom effects etc.

Also, what do I need to buy to make it play DVD movies?

Comments please.

2. penfold

penfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, to start with it won't be as good as your DVD player for movies. It also has a louder fan than a DVD player. Obviously this is affected by how it's sited, ie in a cabinet or summin.

To get going you'll need the DVD remote control, which has a receiver module to plug in the joypad port. It will do multi-region, provided you get DVD-RegionX software or something like that.

Also, I haven't seen an S-video connector with the 5.1 audio out yet. One may have been released since, but I could only find the MS Advanced (RGB) Scart cable. The optical link isn't from the console directly, but split from the Video-out cable, so it's all-or-nothing in that sense.

Provided you get round all the above, yes it will do DTS & DD (or at least, there are 'enable' options for both in the dashboard menu, so they must work). I think it would be safe to assume it was ok with both 4:3 and 16:9.

All in all, personally I wouldn't use it as a DVD player, but the key is that you mention that you don't watch many movies, so it may be really good for your particular needs. If games and 2-channel audio are your priorities, go for it.

Whatever you choose, enjoy! :D

PS: Just remembered, you could try using the above Scart/optical stuff, plugged into a scart/s-video converter, then into the TV as S-vid.

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Xbox DVD function is overrated. While it is faved in many reviews, those reviews are usually from gaming sites who are not using any reference. I have compared my Xbox to my PS2, my Hollywood Plus card, and my ATI Radeon - and even though none of them are high-end stuff they perform decompression better than the Xbox.

There is something wrong in the Xbox DVD player that makes it have greater artifacts than it should. This is especially noticable with animation. I must say that I think the PS2 performs better than the Xbox as a DVD player, even though it does not even output RGB under normal circumstances. Neither does the job well enough to match a standalone player, for various reasons. I have both the Xbox and PS2 and use them for DVD, but a standalone player is on my own wishlist.

The Xbox DVD player is based on the CineMaster software engine from Ravisent (now merged with Axeda) and I do not know how much hardware support it is given by the XGPU, but something is wrong with it nonetheless. I have tested another Xbox and found the same strange behaviour and unreasonable artifacting.

I think the money for an Xbox DVD kit is better spent on something else. Your current DVD player most likely beats the cr*p out of the Xbox and PS2 put together.

4. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    IMO the Xbox is a far better DVD player than the PS2, but it will never be as good as a quailty stand alone player.

First thing is the noise level. With it's fan and the noisy hard drive I doubt you'd be happy having it sitting in your room while trying to watch a quite movie of an evening.

I watched LOTR on it a few nights ago and was impressed by it both in vision and in sound. Just a pity you can't switch off the hd to cut the noise a bit (maybe that'll be then next Xbox homebrew util to be created :) )

As for region free - It isn't unless you get it chipped and then use a bit of software to make your DVD kit become region free. Only other way to get it region free without chipping is to buy all the DVD kits for each region :( This is the biggest mistake MS made with the Xbox.

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK guys. Just watched 'Heat' on my 700 and was impressed. Can't see I'm going to be satisfied with the box.

Thanx for the advice.

Steve

6. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    microsoft advanced av pack (only on import) gives s-video and optical out

7. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit off topic that 2manyconsoles since the debate was on about the quality of DVD playback... Plus European TVs support the RGB signal with offers a better picture than S-Video in most cases.

I myself have not used an Xbox as a DVD player and basically wouldn't recommend on using any console to playback music or DVDs if you plan to use it as a serious feature.

There are plenty of good DVD players out now for all budgets and the debate still rages on in the DVD players forum...

8. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    penfold had mentioned it in his post

9. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That he did. My bad. The Joytech pack should be out in places like Dixons, Comet, Currys, GameStation and GAME. If not then one could order it online.

10. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PC World have it also - £15 - obviously I was not aware of this product when I coughed up £30 for the Advance AV pack :(

11. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yep, got that £15 pack from Dixons, gives you every type of connection whicih is pretty good really.

I would have to say the Xbox is a far far supperior player to the PS2. I got rid of my PS2 in order to pick up an Xbox and never looked back. DVD playback is far sharper (using RGB) and more natural looking than the PS2. Also, even though I had the latest software my PS2 would not play a fair few of my DVD's properly (would not give you a cursor on the menu screens!).

anyhow, play Halo in 5.1 as I did for the first time today and see if that helps make up your mind :D

12. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hmmm interesting. I am quite into my home cinema, and in Zacabeb's post they state that the Xbox uses the ravisent codec for DVD playback. In home cinema circles (as we are kinda on this board) the best output for a home cinema PC is generally regarded as a radeon using the ravisent codec.

Strange that a lot of people would rate it so badly, as clearly the HTPC driving a big projector is much less forgiving than a feeble interlaced TV (or progressive for that matter) being fed with a standard 480/525 line signal. (dependant on region) As for hardware support, i was also led to believe the best picture quality comes from the software rendering, and not hardware rendering, so this would not have much to do with the PQ if it was not supported (as in theory should be better).

Having said this, the celeron chip might struggle to decode the dvd, which is where the artifacts might appear from.

13. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not fully up to speed with HTPC's but I am more or less with graphics cards. The Radeon has always been given good marks with its DVD playback and rendering so its no surprise to see it being popular with many HTPC owners. Plus with the new Radeon 9700 Pro it will drive prices down on the other models.

Hardware rendering I would have thought would offer a better image since there is less of a bottleneck in processing... And if there is any some work could be offloaded to the CPU. Its not just down to the hardware support though as you've said since the codec plays a massive part. Hardware without software is nothing (and thankfully ATi has taken a note from nVidia's book on drivers...).

I'm interested to get into HTPC more but I know this isn't the thread to talk about it. All in all the Xbox's and PS2's DVD player will do for the average user. For anyone who is a bit more serious with their AV righ then they know that seperates is the way to go...