1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox..are all crystals v1.6?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by pacemaker, Nov 20, 2004.

1. pacemaker

pacemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    is this true
    if so can i go ahead and order an xecuter 2.6 with adapter for v1.6 and above?
    anything else i need to know? like different models/hard disks etc
    cheers

2. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    When you say adapter if you mean the solderless one then no you cant.

All V1.6 need an lpc rebuild and solderless won't work. I just carried this out for the first time and made that mistake - all working like a dream now though :D

Hope that helps

p.s. there is a version 1.6b as well - do a search

3. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No, there are quite a few 1.4 crystal xboxes floating around, I for one have chipped two of them now. There probably are not many of the 1.4 crystals in the shops now though. There are very few 1.6B's in the UK, have only heard of a couple UK-wide so far (not that this makes any difference to the chipping process - you just need to have the very very newest bios).

1.6's do need an LPC rebuild, but johna is wrong about there being no solderless adapter for the 1.6. SmartXX have made a solderless adapter for the 1.6 (nearly easy to buy) and there is also a Spider chip which works on having many bendy wires out of the chip. The reviews Ive seen of both chips have been that they are plenty good enough for anything the majority of users will need. NOTE - these adapters are only for a 1.6 though and couldnt be used with earlier boxes at the moment.

The 2.6 xecuter cannot do a solderless install for 1.6 xbox though and you would have to be lucky to find a 1.4 still in the shops.

Good Luck

4. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    wow never knew that - could have saved myself alot of time! But I notice with those chips you still need to solder so there still is no true solderless solution

But I think what pacemaker meant was can he use the solderless adapter that comes with the excuter lite chip on a v1.6 - which he can't.

John

5. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    the spider is fully solderless and the smartxx chip curerntly has a tiny amount of soldering and soon will require none from what ive seen.

6. pacemaker

pacemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    soldering dosnt bother me i do that for a living
    didnt realise there was so many chips though
    what is best/cheapest
    xecuter is 20 quid, which i thought was good
    again didnt realise there was a v1.6b
    would it be worth returning if it was? will be buying locally once the xmas deal comes out
    cheers

7. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    would it be worth returning what?

The chip will suffice, its not ideal and not as functional as many other chips but will prob do what you need.

I dont know what deals will come out for the xbox but I dont think MS can afford to make the cost any less really, such a great price already and at the moment they are making quite a loss on each box. Dont hold me to this though.

If you are a good solderer then definitely save the money and solder it - no solder ones can sometimes come loose which can be annoying! The best chip for value I have found is the xenium modchip. Got some lovely features and is the easiest chip ive installed (have previously done matrix/chameleon/x2.3/xenium - soldered all except matrix). So that has my full recommendation if you havnt got a chip yet but as I said above you can get by with a 2.6 if you wanted to.

Chris