1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX, and Telewest Broadband

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by jerkyboy, Jan 8, 2003.

1. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got an Xbox and has it connected to Broadband via Telewest.

How does it connect up, do I need a PC, if so does my PC need to sitched on in order for the Xbox to work online.

Even the people at Telewest seem a little unsure how it all works yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Best bet is to buy a router like a Netgear or D-Link (cost about 70 quid for a cable router if you hunt around). You attach this to your PC and supply your PCs MAC address to it and then simply plug your X-Box into it and everything will work.

Other than that there is a current Telewest Beta trial where they will give you all the kit for free, not sure where the sign up is.

3. Saf

Saf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have Telewest Broadband and was undecided how to connect up my X Box, cable router or wireless?

Anyway to cut a long story short I first had my x box connected to a cable router, a Linksys BEFSR41 (£60 from Amazon.co.uk), everything worked fine no need for PC to be on etc.

I then decided to move the x box downstairs (for 5.1 sound) and didn't want all the extra cabling needed from the PC upstairs.

The Linksys wireless router BEFW11S4 with the Linksys wireless ethernet bridge WET11 works fine, go to the following link for more info http://www.linksys.com/splash/wetxbox.asp or phone Linksys UK Support Centre, Tel: 0870 7393939. You can order direct from them.

Saf

4. cleggy

cleggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See my earlier post about the Blueyonder XBOX trial - they'll send you a router, cables and instructions. Set up is a breeze and moto gp is awesome on-line.

Xbox and PC on-line at the same time hasn't caused us any problems yet.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59191

5. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    does anyone find the telewest blueyonder slow for xobx live as the upload is only 128k no matter which connection speed for have (ie 750, 1mb, 2mb, or 3mb)?

Thanks

6. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This is only a problem if you host (your xbox has to send lots of information to other people as your box is controlling where everyone is!).

So - If you don't host then it's not a problem. If you do, then you'll probably experience lag if you play with more than half the max. number of online players that the game allows.

ZedZed

7. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Hi,

I work for Telewest, and know that at the moment we have a good deal on. For £30, we send you a router, Project Gothom 2, 12 months subscription to Xbox live and supply a second IP address so that the XBOX and the PC can be online simultaneously. If you are on 256k or 750k broadband, this service called dual-connector will cost you an extra £5 a month, but if you use 1.5Mb or 3.0Mb it is free.

If you are interested in the service, you may need to apply before the end of this month, and should call 0800 950 0002, and you might get to speak to me.

Cheers

Rob