1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox and projectors?! please help!!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by pastytank, Jun 28, 2005.

1. pastytank

pastytank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all

i am reletively new to the gaming scene and i am hoping for some advice from all u experts.

i currently have an xbox however recently acquired another room in my parents house for my own use and want to link my xbox to a projector. however i know nothing about projectors, and research on the internet has come up with nothing apart from that they are very expensive.

i would like to know what connections/ cables etc does a projector need in order for it to be compatiable? what spec should i be looking for etc.. brightness and so on.

also, i have a limited budget and so am looking for one as cheap as possible but of good quality, where is best to look? i have looked on ebay but there are loads of types, specs and so on. where else is best to look, and are there any types/ makes that i should keep away from?

please help!!

2. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,955
    For advice on Projectors have a read of the Projector section of this forum as it's full of recommendations for different price ranges.

Personally I have an Epson TW-10h which is a great budget projector (around £500 mark). It provides a great picture, has a short throw lens (I easily get a good 6 foot wide picture in a room just over 9 foot long), is easy to use, has good connectivity (Component, VGA, RGB Scart through an adaptor, S-Video and composite), has cheap bulbs (£140 ish compared to £400+ for many other PJ's) and great bulb life (up to 4000 hours in low lamp mode - which is the best mode anyway in a light controlled room).

To connect your X-Box the best thing is to:-

1) Get your box modded (either chip or soft mod)
    2) Buy the MS High Def kit
    3) Connect the HD kit up to the PJ via Component
    4) Run Enigma Video selector
    5) Select 480p, 720p & 1080i options in the MS Dash
    6) Enjoy great prog scan gaming!

Personally though i'd go for a PJ which has a native resolution of 720p (or 1080p but these are expensive) such as the Hitachi PX-100, the Sanyo Z3 or the Panny AE700 (all around the £1000 mark). Also look for HDMI and DVI connectivity. The reason I say this is that the new consoles will be high def with games in 720p, 1080i and even 1080p on the PS3.

There are two main types of PJ that people buy for the home - LCD and DLP. Both have their pro's and cons and DLP's can cause what is known as the Rainbow effect in some people, which can make people feel ill. LCD's can suffer from screen door (seeing the individual pixels that make up the image). Other problems like dead pixels and vertical banding can also crop up. You really are best reading over the posts in the PJ part of this forum though for more detailed descriptions.

I will end by saying that PJ gaming is superb though and once you've sampled it, you will never go back! :smashin:

3. radicalrad

radicalrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dlp projectors have pretty much all types of connectors depending on the one you buy i bought a dell 2300 and its fantastic on my xbox and you have a choice of how you connect on this you do it through ..component video..svcd..plain composit video...i got all decent cables from mark elsware on this site (excelent stuff) and i now have a 6' X 5' screen to watch dvd,xbox and dbox....good luck

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,955
    If you want a 720p PJ for a decent price then you could try looking for a second hand Panny AE500 or a Sanyo Z2. Should be able to get each of those for around £500 2nd hand these days.