1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox and Mediaplayer

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by ramjam55, Jun 29, 2004.

1. ramjam55

ramjam55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've been looking into a way to stream MP3's without having to rely on a TV to scan through the tracks. I have found a way to control windows mediaplayer using my PDA but don't want a PC tower stuck in the living room. Is it possible to install mediaplayer and other 3rd party software onto an Xbox ?? Whats o/s does Xbox run on ??

Cheers

2. smokingreen

smokingreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Im sure this has been covered many times before, but it is entirely possible to run a media player and a whole host of other software including emulators on the xbox.

As standard, the xbx will not allow any of these unsigned programs to run, so you have to install a chip that holds a bios which allows unsigned code to load.

It is possible to do this without a chip but I have no experience with this method.

Personally 80% of my xbox use is as a media player, streaming media from a network of pc's in my house into the living room. I know that linux can also be run on the xbox although I havent done this myself.

All the inforamtion you need and more can be found at www.xbox-scene.com. Its worth reading around the forums and looking at the stickies as all the questions you have will have been answered many times before.

Hope this helps a bit.

3. WILD9

WILD9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  4. ramjam55

ramjam55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not sure if this media centre would work. I have a util called Rudeo which allows media player 9 to be controlled using a PDA, which means I can access my music collection without having to turn the TV on to select tracks. I'd need the xbox to run WMP 9 and also the rudeo server app. This all works well on a PC using XP but as I mentioned earlier I don't want a PC in the lounge. I've considered a SFF PC such as a Dell optiplex to do this if the Xbox can't do this.

5. WILD9

WILD9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    the xbox cant run windows media player but your missing out on a very flexible media player if you dont use xbmc :(

edit : actually i think it can do what you want, xbmc can run an http server over the netork which you can access to control playlists, playback etc using any device on your network this would include a pda on a wifi connection etc ive actually tried it and forgot about it, so if you had a chipped box which booted into xbox media center youd be golden :)