1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox and GC Sales Results

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by annefromuk, Dec 4, 2001.

1. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A completely non-biased analyst company, CSFB, has released its Xbox and Gamecube sales estimates thus far, and despite what Nintendo's press releases may have you believe, the Xbox has sold extremely well compared to the Gamecube. In fact, to date, 556,000 Xbox units have been sold compared to 469,000 Gamecube units. However, keep in mind that the Xbox was released three days before the Gamecube giving it more time on store shelves.

Another interesting statistic is the ratio of games (software) sold per console. It seems that for every Xbox console sold, there were an average of 2.4 games sold with it. For the Gamecube, the ratio was lower at 1.7 games sold per console. Halo is the best selling Xbox title, while Luigi's Mansion is the Gamecube's best selling title so fa.

BTW: CSFB is Credit Suisse First Boston a major player on wall street and they follow the interactive entertainment industry. They have no need to fabricate numbers. Not to mention they got said number from NPD TRST, one of the leading tracking companies in the gaming/software industry.

Anne

(info above taken from TeamXbox )

2. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm Anne- this article has been doctored!!! The full version can be found here- and it shows Xbox was slaughtered:

http://cube.ign.com/news/40225.html

They convieniently ommitted actual sales figures- this is how many were distributed!!! LOL!

Full article here:

A weekly report released by data analyst Credit Suisse First Boston indicated that Nintendo's GameCube enjoyed significantly stronger hardware and software sales than Xbox during the week of November 18 through the 24.
    The firm, which based its figures on NPD TRST data, estimated that more than 469,000 GameCube units and 810,000 pieces of software were sold to retailers during the system's launch week. Luigi's Mansion was, according to the analyst, the top selling game for any console during the period, selling through an estimated 257,000 units. Star Wars Rogue Leader and Wave Race: Blue Storm also sold strongly.

Xbox sales for the week were projected at 186,000 units for a total of 556,000 Microsoft consoles bought since the machine's release November 15. Halo was the system's best seller with 97,000 units shipped.

Nintendo said that it has since sold a huge percentage its initial GameCube allotment of 750,000 hardware units. The company, riding an anticipated boost in sales due to the recently released Super Smash Bros. Melee and Pikmin, expects to sell through 1.3 million units by the end of the year.

3. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting that this article was on an Xbox site!!!!!

4. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Proof that the Xbox site altered the article to omit that Xbox sold nearly a third of what GC did......

http://www.iemag.com/search/wholestory.asp?ID=8685

Oh and Anne- the statistic regarding Games per Console was made up by said site.

Glad I check my stats first...............sorry!!!!

How embarrassing for Halo that it got outsold almost 2-1 by a kiddies game: Luigis Mansion!

5. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IGN have two sides of the story:-
    http://xbox.ign.com/news/40221.html
    http://cube.ign.com/news/40225.html

Also if you read into the figures they were for the week of the Gamecube launch, so the Xbox is second as most people brought it in the first three days (not in that figure)

But overall the Xbox has sold more so far.

Xbox 556,000 since launch
    Gamecube 469,000 since launch

Anne

6. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Halo sold 97,000 units over the November 18-24 time period, so this does not include the first three days, so stop using incomplete figures.

Anne

7. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops- I apologise, Ive mixed up articles. Egg on face time!!!!

Plus the game stuff is in the original article- but they also point out that the Xboxs 2.4 titles per console is poor in comparison to the GC's 1.7 because GC only had 3 launch titles in the first week- compared to over 40 for Xbox.

I wouldnt expect an Xbox owner to buy 10 games, but if were talking stats then its quite impressive that most owners bought 2/3rds of the Nintendo titles on offer.

Expect this ratio to have improved by now as we now have 20 titles to choose from- ive got 9 myself such is the quality of the software on offer I couldnt choose.

Finally am I the only one surprised that almost 65% of GC owners bought Luigis Mansion and only 20% of XBox owners purchased Halo?

Maybe Nintendo shouldnt grow up!

8. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anne- True that misses off 3 days of Xbox sales, have we got any figures for these 3 days?

must concentrate more!!!!

9. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha- launch week for Xbox 11 Nov-18!!!

I make it that Gamecube had a better first week than Xbox: 469,000 consoles to 370,000, and Luigis Mansion sold more than Halo did in 2 weeks in a 1 week period.

http://www.iemag.com/search/wholestory.asp?ID=8601

Credit Suisse First Boston (CSFB) has released a report containing estimated sales results for what it termed “Xbox Week”—or as iemag.com interprets it, the seven days that began November 11.
    The firm is projecting that Microsoft Corp. moved 370,000 Xbox units in the first two days that the console appeared at retail, and that around 810,000 software units were also sold, for a launch tie-in ratio of 2.2. Of the 21 titles available over the first two days, Halo took the top sales spot selling over 176,000 units.
    Because of the number of Xbox bundles offered, Microsoft claimed approximately 57% of the Xbox software market, followed by Electronic Arts, Inc. (11%), Activision, Inc. (over 7%) and THQ Inc. and Take-Two Software, Inc. (under 1%). Microsoft is targeting 30% market share over the long term.
    Konami’s PlayStation 2 game Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty was released on November 13. CSFB estimates that 360,000 units of the game were sold that week, making it the top-selling overall videogame regardless of platform.
    Electronic Arts saw the biggest week-to-week sales increase among the companies that CSFB covers, buoyed by four Xbox releases and four Harry Potter games. Take Two’s Grand Theft Auto 3 continued to sell well, moving over 84,000 copies in Xbox Week, bumping it to an estimated 490,026 units moved in the fourth quarter. CSFB estimated that the title sold 205,000 units in its launch week in October.

10. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
  11. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True we had games on GC in the UK before the US, but the US didnt.

I had Rogue, Monkey Ball, Fifa 2002 and Wave Race 2 weeks before the console shipped!!!! I also received Pikmin and Super Smash Bros last Friday- not bad for £32 inc p&p.

This was from DVDBoxOffice- its obvious that this is because product is shipped to retailers as early as possible, as were consoles (I received mine on Nov 19th from Canada- it was dispatched on the 14th). Some because of overwhelming demand will ship early, especially overseas where they cannot get "done" for releasing games early (not that this is illegal- but this may affect Nintendo or whoevers attitude to the retailer).

But in the states and Canada there were only 4 games on sale in week one- Wave Race, Luigi, Monkey Ball and Rogue Leader.

Personally I think thats pretty poor, as more choice may have meant that Luigi sold less- as I may not have chosen to buy Wave Race if there had been more choice.

Hopefully the promised 40 titles b4 Jan will materialise.