1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox and DVD+R and MP3's

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by bbanduser, Oct 25, 2004.

1. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi guys,
    I bought an XBOX a couple of weeks back and am generally impressed with it's capabilities in terms of games and DVD and CD playback. However, there are a few things which I would like to the answer of if possible.
    1) Can the Xbox play MP3's at all? Is there a chip which will enable this?
    2) I tried playing a couple of DVD+R (TDK) discs, but the Xbox did not recognise this. Is it possible to play DVD+R discs on the Xbox at all?
    3) I know there are chips around which will make the player multiregion. Which one is the best in this area? If there is a chip which provides all my 3 issues, then what is it? I would like to have a non solder chip as my soldering skills leave a lot to be desired.

Additionally, is it difficult to install a chip? What are the chances of buggering the whole thing up??!

Sorry for so many questions. I am a noob in terms of console gaming :)

2. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    www.xbox-scene.com

in standard form no, the xbox will not read mp3's in any shape or form. the ony audio it will read are audio cd's.

With a modchip yes, it will read mp3's, and a shed load more aswell.

All mod chips do the same basic things; ie. remove the xbox copy protection meaning you can run non-ms code allowing you to run all sorts of software and media. You dont need a fancy expensive chip and to that end i'd recommend the xecutor 2.6b which you can buy for around £25 now.

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    you appear to have the samsung dvd rom in your xbox, same as me
    I can confirm this drive does not read dvd+r (the thompson and philips do)
    It will read dvd-r, dvd-rw, dvd+rw
    If you have a modchip fitted it will play every sort of MP3, DIVX and media file.

4. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the info guys. I will be checking out the xbox-scene website for more details. I am looking for the solderless type of chip, so something like the Xecutor 2.6 might be enough for me, right?

So if it's the drive which is the problem regarding reading the DVD+R discs, even chipping it will not fix it right? So is there any way out on this front?

5. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Are you sure you have the Samsung? That's generally regarded as the better drive as far as reading recordable media is concerned with the Phillips coming in second, followed by the Thompson.

Aside from a drive swap, it's simply a case of experimenting with different media. DVD-RW's generally work - some DVD-R's do, and some CD-RW's also do. It's really a case of trial and error although a relatively accurate guide for "Thompson" compatible media can be found here.

Buy a few different brands and give them a whirl. You will eventually find something :)

K.

6. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    The samsung drive won't read DVD+r
    Thomson/Philips drives won't read CDR

the samsung plays all other media perfectly, you don't have to try different brands
    if it plays in anything, it will play in the samsung. Unfortunately nothing will get the
    samsung to read dvd+R of any make. (unless you have a writer that can do bitsetting, a process that changes the media ID of the dvd+r to dvdr during the writer finalising the disk)
    I understand the samsung firmware has been deliberatly written to stop it reading dvd+r media, as have many of the major league dvd player manufacturers. Something to do with paying royalties to the people with the Patents on Dvd+r technology. If your player reads dvd+r, you have to pay a royalty for every drive you make.
    This piece of silliness doesn't apply to dvd players made in China, as they don't give a hoot about royalties, and merely cange the name of their factory/product if anyone gives them hassle.

7. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How do I know which type of drive I have? I mean Samsung or something else?

8. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  9. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks robocop.

Dash it, I've got a Samsung! It's a real bummer as I have a lot of DVD+R discs and have recently bought a lot of blank discs as well. And there I was thinking that DVD+R discs are the most compatible.

10. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The Samsung drive is thought of as the best one to have in your box. 99.9999 % of people use dvd -r so no problem really.

DVD R+ is a good standard but -r is marginally more compatible. To be honest its a pain for you but its the first time I have heard someone complain about lack of +R compatability with an xbox drive.