1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox - ae300 - progressive headache

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by monsta2003, Mar 9, 2004.

1. monsta2003

monsta2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been looking around but cant seem to solve my problem. Ive got a pal xbox with executor1 running evox. Connected to a panasonic ae300 projector via gamester high def pack using component cables. Im having varying degrees of success.

If the machine is set to PAL mode, then i get a 625i evox, but games run in 525i, the pic is very nice however. If I switch to NTSC mode, I get a 525p evox and 525p games, but the image sufferes severe ghosting, if I connect in the svideo cable aswell the ghosting disapears but the image has a green tinge, not pretty either way.

NOTE: mode 625i = 720*576i, 525i = 720*480i, 525p = 525*483, and according to the projector manual 625i will give the best picture, along with RGB an HDTV.

Im mainly using PGR2 as a reference, as looking at the number plate gives a good idea of sharpness. Its hard to notice any real difference between the 525i and 525p in terms of sharpness, im assuming thats down to the quality of the descaler in the projector, but the 525p does just pip it. But the green tinge is obviously unaceptable (even if that is the xbox colours) and makes it not worth while.

Ive set all the options in the msdash for 480, 720 and HDTV on. The projector supports HDTV but do any games run this high?

SO.......

Why is it outputing an NTSC signal (525i) in PAL mode? And why is the NTSC mode ghosting without the svideo, which leads to greening. Im happy with the quality (playing on a 100" wall with clearer than any previous setup gfx is obviously good), but I would love it if it could be better. Any help MUCH appreciated.

Many Thanks

2. daveymacca

daveymacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I had a gamester High def pack and it was awful, I would put all your problems down to this.I connected it to my Tosh 32zd26p through component to try prog scan, it suffered from ghosting as you describe, I then plugged s-video into it and the brightness dropped on my TV until i unplugged the component leads.

I've now got an official high def pack and progressive scan looks awesome.

The Xbox run's 480p not 525p and very few games support 720p, freedom fighters and Soul Caliber 2 come to mind.

I'm running a modded NTSC Xbox switching video modes using Enigmah and I haven't had any problems with progressive scan, the only problem i have is running 480i software in NTSC mode results in an overbright image so i have to run all 480i games in PAL Mode.

When running 480p software on an Xbox results in vastly superior image quality over 480i so if you are struggling to tell the difference I'd try an official high def pack.

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    I also had the gamester hidef pack and it was crap. I'm assuming that because its in the UK, its designed as an interlaced component solution and doesn't have the bandwidth for progressive.

Only problem now is the temptation to go progressive with my xbox is tempered by only having one input on my projector and thats for the DVD player. Don't have a component switcher, or component equipped amp.

I'm trying to hold out until PS3/Xbox2. Then there will be no excuse.

4. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Yip. Me too. My Gamester high-def pack had all the same problems. It's a load of old junk

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,736
    I don't believe the gamester pack even outputs a progressive signal, it's just component isn't it?

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    its not the pack, its the Xbox.

The gamester does enough that if you have a modded xbox you can activate the progressive option. But it doesn't seem to have enough bandwidth for a clean signal.

I've gotten 480p and 720p through it, but it looked terrible on my AE100.

I'm now looking at the X2VGA, which would free up my components for my DVD player (I have a VGA cable run up already)

7. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Whats the matter with the official Microsoft high def pack for £20 ?

8. monsta2003

monsta2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys,

ive ordered an offical pack from lik-sang, slightly anoying it doesnt have composite output aswell, so ill have to change the av-units when I switch between the TV and projector. So I suppose the gamesters still usefull for that and still having digital out, so ill keep it, unless anoyone wants to swap if for an official advance AV pack :rolleyes:

9. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I got the high def pack from lik sang as well. Came this morning, took less than a week. I have the Microsoft advaced av pack (RGB scart and digital out) but will probably sell it on ebay.

10. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    On a side note I am still looking for the region switch disc. Dont suppose anyone has a spare copy lying around ?

11. AndyDD

AndyDD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a component switch box from liksang costing about £5. This allows me to switch between Gamecube and XBox component outputs (no difference to PQ).

12. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    harrisuk

www.playstationchips.co.uk sells a disc called waynos evox auto-installer which has the region switch software on it plus a few more programs aswell.

13. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Excellent thanks for that. So do I just put the disc in and it boots with option to switch the region ? I already have evo x installed.

14. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Found it. Just what I am after sounds idiot proof. Again many thanks. High Def here we come :clap:

15. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    NO PROBLEM