Xbox 60hz HD mode - problem!

trcfp

Standard Member
Hi All

I have a Samsung SP42Q2HL (I know!! :rolleyes: ) and when I connect my xbox 360 via component cables I don't get a picture. The guys at Samsung say it is because the 360 delivers HD at 60 Hz and my TV does not support that, the say look to m$ for a fix. M$ say that to get my 360 to play in HD mode on my HDTV I need to purchase a convertor to change the 360's output to 50Hz.

I am not convinced that this will solve my problem and think m$ are just pulling my chain!

I have been reading all over the AV forums at lots of different 360 HDTV problems and nowhere have I read anyone mention a fix like this.

Guys your help and comments on this problem will be gratefully received, thanks in advance. :)

signs

Banned
i'm not sure on your tv etc
but the xbox should start off at 50 hz , i had to change mine to 60 to play top spin :confused:
hope this helps

cyberheater

Your tv supports (over component) 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p and 1080i.

Put the hd switch on the component cable to normal SD mode and boot up your 360. Then switch the switch to hd mode and try to run it at 1080i.

trcfp

Standard Member
Thanks guys.

I think in HD mode the 360 only displays at 60hz. I think in SD mode you have the option to change from 50 to 60hz. Samsung are saying this and m$ are not disputing it. And Samsung say my HDTV is not capable of displaying HD at 60hz. They have fixed this fault and from mid 2006 all their UK spec HDTV's are able to display HD from a non standard (50hz) signal. This however does not solve my problem as my TV is a year old. Which brings me back to my question above. Will a 60 to 50hz convertor enable my TV to receive and display the 360's HD signal? Thanks again.

cyberheater

Thanks guys.

I think in HD mode the 360 only displays at 60hz. I think in SD mode you have the option to change from 50 to 60hz. Samsung are saying this and m$ are not disputing it. And Samsung say my HDTV is not capable of displaying HD at 60hz. They have fixed this fault and from mid 2006 all their UK spec HDTV's are able to display HD from a non standard (50hz) signal. This however does not solve my problem as my TV is a year old. Which brings me back to my question above. Will a 60 to 50hz convertor enable my TV to receive and display the 360's HD signal? Thanks again.

I would get back to samsung and get them to fix it. A 60hz to 50hz convertor is going to be expensive.

Praxidike

Banned
After the last update though, when you change your HD resolution, and you accept the resolution, it then tries out the 50Hz setting too - so one of them should work really, then it asks you which one you want to use.

Only thing is, if you can't receive the first one, you won't know to accept the resolution in the first place, for it to carry on and test the other Hz mode...

I know for some games, they only want 60Hz, I had to plug it in using SD, change SD settings to 60Hz, then plug HD connections back in for it to work. Strange bug in there somewhere by the looks of it.

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
After the last update though, when you change your HD resolution, and you accept the resolution, it then tries out the 50Hz setting too - so one of them should work really, then it asks you which one you want to use.

Only thing is, if you can't receive the first one, you won't know to accept the resolution in the first place, for it to carry on and test the other Hz mode...

I know for some games, they only want 60Hz, I had to plug it in using SD, change SD settings to 60Hz, then plug HD connections back in for it to work. Strange bug in there somewhere by the looks of it.

The 360 will only output HD in 60hz.

I know that when you change the resolutions it comes up with a 50hz option but that is the only time you will ever see it and straight after it goes back to 60hz.

Afraid your only choices are either a new TV, the converter or seeing if you can get Samsung to fix it but that is doubtful.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom