1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox - 50hz/60hz on LCD!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Halo, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Halo

Halo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased an Xbox, very, very happy with it but I do have a question. In the setup menu you can change between 50hz and 60hz. On my PS2 when a game asked you to do this and I chaged to 60hz the picture was better, I assume because of a faster refresh/scan rate!!! On my Xbox when I change to 60hz the picture looks corrupted, eg. a faint hint of discolour down the right side of the screen/no picture improvement (playing hitman:contracts + halo2). Now, is my tele not capable of 60hz (it is an LCD which i didnt think had scan lines and it is connected by the supplied SCART!!!) or is my Xbox broke! Could it be because it is a UK PAL Xbox, the mode doesnt work!!! Bear in mind the 60hz mode works fine on my PS2! Is there any real benefit of using 60hz mode anyway? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    What "60hz" option are you referring to? On a regular UK PAL console there's an option in dashboard called PAL 60, which when enabled, runs most games at 60hz. 60hz does run faster but has less lines of resolution, but as most games are made in 60hz countries (america and japan) they work best played at 60hz.

3. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    A part of the problem is the scart connection that comes with the xbox is actually only composite. To get a better picture it may be worth buying a better xbox connection cable, namely the 'Advanced AV Pack - Scart'/'Hidef component pack' Svideo will also give a noticeable improvement.

How is your PS2 connected?

4. Halo

Halo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is connected via the basic SCART you get with the machine, I was thinking of getting the advanced SCART, is it noticably better picture quality??? As for the 60hz option, yes the one in the dashboard, it says 50hz PAL / 60hz PAL. I tried 60hz again last night on a few different games, they all have the strange colour defect, im now thinking its because the games im playing are PAL games and the 60hz option doesnt work with them!!!

5. Halo

Halo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, PS2 connected via composite (red, white + yellow connectors!) Is the picture on the Xbox noticably better via Advanced SCART???

6. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes. Advanced SCART gives you an RGB connection, which keeps the three primary colors separate instead of downgrading them into a single composited signal. This gives a sharper picture without the artifacts composite video produces.

Speaking of PAL60, it is a bit of a black sheep. In composite and S-video, the picture is split up into brightness (luma) and color (chroma). The color information is them embedded into a subcarrier, which has a frequency selected to produce exactly so many cycles per picture line, in order to match the line rate of the TV system and the methods used by either system for handling color. PAL was designed for 50Hz (with 15,625 lines per second), and NTSC for 60Hz (59.94Hz to be exact, with 15,734.25 lines per second).

In PAL60, where the PAL method is used in combination with 60Hz instead of 50Hz, there is a somewhat odd relationship resulting between the subcarrier and line rate, since they weren't really designed for each other. Some displays do not deal very well with this for a whole number of reasons.

Using an RGB connection, you skip this issue altogether as that type of signal is never encoded in either PAL or NTSC.

As for Xbox games, the few which do not support 60Hz will not switch the system to 60Hz even when the option is enabled. The games in themselves are not the cause of the color problems on your display.

7. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    As Zac says, using an RGB scart cable (i'd only get the official scart av pack if I were you) will likely get around the problem and you'll get better picture quality as well as being able to play at 60hz. Component is even better as it supports 480p and higher (60 frames per second progressive rather than 60 fields per second interlaced, effectively twice as many lines)

8. Halo

Halo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help. I just went and got the advanced SCART, the picture is slightly better than the SCART supplied so I am happy. As for the 60hz issue, it still doesnt work but after what has been said it doesnt seem to matter anyway. I will go for component in the future but for now the advanced SCART is great....cheers