1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 5.1 Headphones

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Sting King, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Sting King

Sting King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum, Ive had a good search about on the net to try and gather as much info as possible on the subject, theres just a couple of queries I need ironing out.

Im thinking of buying the Medusa 5.1 headphones for use on my X-box, I understand that because the X-box doesnt decode Dolby Digital, I will have to purchase a decoder/receiver to do the decoding.

My Queries are:

Can I buy a DVD Player that decodes DD, and plug the 5.1 headphones into that?
    Or do I need an amplifier that decodes DD, and plug the 5.1 headphones into that?

The Medusa 5.1 headphones comes with an amplifier box, If I was to plug the headphones directly into the X-box, would I achieve Pro-Logic sound??

Can Anyone recomend a cheap Amp if thats what I'll need to achieve 5.1??

2. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    where would you plug the heaphones into the xbox there is no headphone socket that im aware of any way.you will need a 5.1 amp mate.and you cant plug the xbox into a dvd player because they only OUTPUT 5.1 not input it mate.

3. Sting King

Sting King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  4. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    to be honest mate i wouldnt go near 5.1 headphones.if you want a real 5.1 in game experience get a reasonable amp and some decent speakers.if your strapped for cash get yourself down to richer sounds and they should sort you out.where are located anyway?

5. Sting King

Sting King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I live near Barnsley, South Yorkshire.

My Xbox is set up in a small bedroom, I wanted the Headphones to achieve a decent surround sound (5.1 if possible but Im not too bothered), and also it will stop my GF/neighbours from moaning about the Volume level.
    I have a home cinema setup in my living room so every now and then I rig the Xbox up to it.

I didnt really want the hassle of the speakers and cables in such a small room thats already home to a PC and various other things.

So the Headphone route is what I wanted to take, If I connected the headphones to the RCA Inputs on my Xbox's advanced scart cable, would I achieve Pro Logic? This would be adequate I think, and I wouldnt need to get a Amp/Receiver.

Also I have read a couple of reviews on the Medusa Headphones and they seem good enough for the purpose I'll use them for.

6. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Hey Sting King, you are not far from me (Horbury, near Ossett) the Sony centre in Wakefield has the baby 5.1 set up for sale fro 125 quid. Well it did last Saturday!

That could be worth checking out as the speakers are only tiny !

7. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    im not really sure abou the rca thing mate but like spiderman points out you dont need huge box`s to get a decent 5.1 experience.im not a 100 percent sure but you might need a amp anyway to get 5.1 out of the xbox.