xbox 4gb slim + old xbox 360 hard drive

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by RedAl, Dec 22, 2011.

1. RedAl

RedAl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,988
    Can anyone tell me with absolute certainth that moving an old 360 hard disk into a new 360 slim wont be picked up by MS & consequently banned or deleted as the guy in gameststion warned me? This is the first i heard of it.

2. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    It's against the terms of service to modify hardware, which includes taking an old style 360 hard drive apart to put it into a 360 S. MS know that only 250GB and 320GB hard drives have been released for the 360 S, so in theory they would know that anyone using a hard drive of any other size must have modified the hardware by taking it apart and so they could ban people, but I haven't seen a single report of that happening. I don't think it's in their best interests to ban people over that either, just like they haven't banned people for using unofficial hard drives when they could detect those too, but I can't say with 100% certainty that they'll never do it.

Also, I think if they cared, they would just block you from doing it, rather than banning your account or console, like they blocked unofficial memory units (before they updated the dashboard to allow you to use any USB stick). Again, that's just speculation though.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  3. jamesrt2004

jamesrt2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It's 100% fine there's no checks for hard drive size.

4. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    That doesn't mean there never will be. At one point, unofficial memory units worked fine too, then they decided to block them. I'm only saying this cos the OP asked if anyone could say with "absolute certainty" that it would be OK, and nobody can. I do agree that the risk is tiny though and I'd do it myself if I needed to.

5. RedAl

RedAl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,988
    Thanks chaps. Its fair to say I'm pretty fed up. Another night without an xbox is goint to drive me nuts. I can see me being in bed by 9pm tonight through utter boredom. :(