Xbox 360S Crackling noise

BluWarfareHD09

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So this has just happened. I was playing BL2 and I heard a weird crackling noise, so muted the tv as I thought maybe the dog or cat had may knocked the power brick and made the cable lose and was causing sparks as it was wobbling. But after muting the tv, it sounds as if it is coming from the fan(which as it's an S is on top). So I quit to dashboard and it stopped. Restarted the game and it was there again. I put my ear closer and its almost like the cracking you get when a liquid is boiling dry. Any suggestions?

ive not heard a noise like that come from xbox (s version) it could be that the fan needs a clean.

I've got a funny feeling it's the DVD drive, as if you put some pressure on the top of the xbox above the drive it stops. It's just my luck as I bought a extended warranty from game for it run out in September and now I have a problem, typical for me, same thing happened on one of my phone contracts had insurance with it, didn't have to claim in the first year so cancelled the insurance part then the next week fell of my bike and smashed the screen :facepalm:

I definitely think it's the optical drive. Can I buy a samsung dvd drive from ebuyer/amazon for£12 and install that?

Seriously, £50 or more for an optical drive. I understand they don't want modded consoles so people can pirate, but surly there must have been a way of making it so when the console detected new hardware eg, HDD or Optical drive it automatically installed the correct firmware for the device, isn't the what the PS3/PS4 do with HDD?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom