Xbox 360 won't find PC ?? Arghhh!!

Ok i have now got it streaming from the netbook, was very simple once i plugged the Ethernet cable into the Netbook.
Thats great but i want to stream wireless :mad:

Is this something wrong setup wise with the netbook and 360 or more the Router maybe ?

Can anyone help ?
It streams perfect when connected via Ethernet but nadda when its via wireless :confused:

Deftones

What about temporarily disabling any firewalls on the laptop? Is the laptop successfully obatining a connection the the wireless router? What about connecting the laptop to the router with a cable, to rule out the wifi bit of the equation?

DOH!

Just saw your comment about the wireless card. I just copied and pasted my response in the friday nights fer fightin thread.

The netbook connects to the router with no problems over wireless and it works fine surfing the net and downloading stuff.

The streaming is the only thing that does not work via wireless. By Ethernet it works like a dream.

My Router is a Sky Netgear Model.
Am thinking do i need to change so settings on the router for the xbox to recognise it ?
The Xbox is connected to the router via Ethernet.

I will try and disable the firewall to see if that works.

Deftones

What about temporarily disabling any firewalls on the laptop? Is the laptop successfully obatining a connection the the wireless router? What about connecting the laptop to the router with a cable, to rule out the wifi bit of the equation?

dont listen to MrHarvey he works in IT!!! :devil:
agree it has to be something firewall ish. I had same problems under Vista but it worked when i disabled all the security features that Windows kindly provided. Not a great solution i know but if it works at least you know what it is.

dont listen to MrHarvey he works in IT!!! :devil:
agree it has to be something firewall ish. I had same problems under Vista but it worked when i disabled all the security features that Windows kindly provided. Not a great solution i know but if it works at least you know what it is.

I am only using the Windows Firewall so will turn that off later and see if it connects. Surely the firewall problem would be present still with Ethernet wouldnt it ?

Deftones

What packet frame type does your wireless router use and is it the same as the wifi card in the laptop? i.e. 802.11b and/or 802.11g. If they are different, there might be an issue

What packet frame type does your wireless router use and is it the same as the wifi card in the laptop? i.e. 802.11b and/or 802.11g. If they are different, there might be an issue

The Wireless card in the netbook is this

Eee PC 1005HA Seashell comes with WiFi 802.11 b/g/n (draft 2.4GHz n) network connectivity for ultimate wireless accessibility and mobility. Also included is Bluetooth V2.1 for flexibility and convenience with your Bluetooth devices.

Sky Router Netgear DG834G
DSL ZoneUK - Hardware reviews - Netgear DG834GT (Sky) ADSL/2/2+ Modem/Router

And thats my router.

The strange thing is that i am sure i was able to stream stuff over Wireless on Saturday but since i ran a few updates on Sunday it no longer works :(

Deftones

DO you have zonealarm installed?

I had issues with it following an update (an an XP laptop)

If it comes to it, you could run the recovery disks / OS disks provided with you laptop (once you have removed/backed up all you information) and bring the OS back to where it was when you got the machine and when you couold stream........ before any updates. Radical I know.......

Tones the 'eurake' moment is just around the corner :thumbsup:

DO you have zonealarm installed?

I had issues with it following an update (an an XP laptop)

If it comes to it, you could run the recovery disks / OS disks provided with you laptop (once you have removed/backed up all you information) and bring the OS back to where it was when you got the machine and when you couold stream........ before any updates. Radical I know.......

Tones the 'eurake' moment is just around the corner :thumbsup:

No Zonealarm just using the Windows Firewall.
I might have to revert back to the original settings then :(
I am sure its all due to Windows XP Service Pack 3 being installed when i ran an update over the weekend. Have tried to remove it and go back to SP2 but it wont have it :(

Bloody Technology :mad:

Deftones

Are you not running Vista?

I think it was the service pack that stopped me from being able to access the internet from home when zonealarm was switched on.

It certainly sound similar. Does your wifi card need to be updated following a service pack update? does the wifi card actually work at all?

So many questions and so few answers (from me!:rolleyes:)

Are you not running Vista?

I think it was the service pack that stopped me from being able to access the internet from home when zonealarm was switched on.

It certainly sound similar. Does your wifi card need to be updated following a service pack update? does the wifi card actually work at all?

So many questions and so few answers (from me!:rolleyes:)

Am running Windows XP, its only a little netbook and Vista would eat the memory.
Pretty much everything works spot on. The Wireless is fine for surfing the net and downloading stuff. Everything works except streaming to the xbox via wireless.

I will use the Recovery disk to revert back to factory settings and give it a go over the weekend.

Deftones

Have you accessed your router settings by going to http://192.168.0.1. Defualt login is admin for user name and password for password. Have look at the router firewall rules. Manual can be found here if you don't have it http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/dg834gt_manual.pdf.

I was having very similar problems with my bt home hub 2 and I tried changing all sorts of settings in vista and the modem. I managed to get it working once then it didn't work again. I started using my very old D-Link DSL-G604T again and everything worked straight away with out changing options and I have windows firewall on.

Have you accessed your router settings by going to http://192.168.0.1. Defualt login is admin for user name and password for password. Have look at the router firewall rules. Manual can be found here if you don't have it http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/dg834gt_manual.pdf.

I was having very similar problems with my bt home hub 2 and I tried changing all sorts of settings in vista and the modem. I managed to get it working once then it didn't work again. I started using my very old D-Link DSL-G604T again and everything worked straight away with out changing options and I have windows firewall on.

Cheers, will chekc that later.
I can access it and have done to check settings but to be honest i have no idea what settings to check :confused:
Have had a quick look at the manual and it does not make it any clearer.
What settings should i be looking at under the Router then ?

Deftones

I would have thought things relating to in and outbound network traffic. Its hard for me to say, I tend to do better when I have the actual thing and can play around with it.

I'm about to give my home hub another go and maybe call BT if it doesn't work.

From looking at the manual it looks as if i need to set a rule for Inbound Traffic as at the moment it states its blocked for all inbound.
What would happen if i changed that to allow inbound ??
I could try that and then see if the 360 picks up the Netbook and then i know its a router/firewall issue.

Deftones

OMG it worked straight away?!

I'm using the powerline adaptors that BT gave me for my bt vision to connect the xbox to the router via ethernet. So when I switch those off for the night then back on tomorrow we'll see if its fixed or not! I think the home hub is a bit tempermental about things like that.

:mad::mad::mad:

Its stop bloody working via Ethernet now :eek:
Not changed a thing.
Have checked my router and have no idea what settings i would need to change :confused:

Oh well looks like i wont be using this Netbook for any streaming :thumbsdow

Deftones

Well mine was working with the home hub until I tried to watch tv and the tuner was unavailable. My hauppage 500 t always does this on vista. I have to go into task manager and shut down everything media centre related. I then try the tv on pc and it works. Then try to connect to pc with xbox and it says it can't find the PC?!

So I've ordered a cheap pinnacle single tuner from ebay to try that instead.

I have been searching for a solution to this problem since I got an XBox last Christmas! It went on the back burner for a while until I bought a DNLA enabled TV and wanted to stream video - same result as the XBox.

To cut a long story short, the fix is to Enable Multicast on your router (Mine's a Linksys, so the terminology may be a bit different for others, but Multicast is the important word!).

As soon as I changed that setting both XBox and TV were visible in MP11.

Hope this helps

Richard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom