Xbox 360 with Homeplug

I use the devolo dLAN Highspeed Ethernet plugs to connect to XBOX Live (max 85Mbps claimed, actually delivered 56Mbps) with no problems. Also used the same to connect to Windows Media Center with no problems. It is just not fast enough to stream HDTV from the media center to the XBOX360 although 1080 WMV streaming works fine.

Did also try the newer Netgear HDX101 plugs (max 200Mbps claimed but actually only delivered 50Mbps with far less consistency than the Devolo plugs) - these appear to be slower than the 85Mbps Devolo units.

Devolo now have a Homeplug AV plug that claims 200mbps second and another unit which allows connection either via the mains or via Coax (ie. your home TV distribution system) - I am waiting to see some reviews of this as potentially Coax could give real world transfer rates higher than the mains cabling (as traffic would not need to cross any circuit breakers).

When using Homeplug do not plug them into a surge protector extension plug as this significantly reduces the transfer rate - they give best results when plugged directly into the mains sockets. Another influencing factor appears to be when connecting across from one ring main to the other if you have fuse circuit breakers rather than just old fashioned fuses. My plugs are plugged directly into the mains sockets and go from the upstairs ring main to the downstairs ring main across a single fuse circuit breaker.

I use the devolo dLAN Highspeed Ethernet plugs to connect to XBOX Live (max 85Mbps claimed, actually delivered 56Mbps) with no problems. Also used the same to connect to Windows Media Center with no problems. It is just not fast enough to stream HDTV from the media center to the XBOX360 although 1080 WMV streaming works fine.

Did also try the newer Netgear HDX101 plugs (max 200Mbps claimed but actually only delivered 50Mbps with far less consistency than the Devolo plugs) - these appear to be slower than the 85Mbps Devolo units.

Devolo now have a Homeplug AV plug that claims 200mbps second and another unit which allows connection either via the mains or via Coax (ie. your home TV distribution system) - I am waiting to see some reviews of this as potentially Coax could give real world transfer rates higher than the mains cabling (as traffic would not need to cross any circuit breakers).

When using Homeplug do not plug them into a surge protector extension plug as this significantly reduces the transfer rate - they give best results when plugged directly into the mains sockets. Another influencing factor appears to be when connecting across from one ring main to the other if you have fuse circuit breakers rather than just old fashioned fuses. My plugs are plugged directly into the mains sockets and go from the upstairs ring main to the downstairs ring main across a single fuse circuit breaker.

Cheers weymja, looks like Devolo Homeplugs for me!

Just one query...do you know if they work with Microsoft Xp Pro 64 Bit? (could be my only problem!):(

Only asking because they come with an installation CD which includes drivers!?

I run mine on the HDX101's and get 150mbps, which is faster than LAN :)

and rips the wireless connection which we previously used, to bits.

Sorry don't know if it comes with drivers that are suitable for 64 bit Windows - suggest you check the downloads/support pages at www.devolo.com.

As for speed of the HDX101 units this will vary with the state of the mains cabling, whether you are crossing ring mains/circuit breakers etc. When I compared the actual transfer rate using the Windows Media Extender network performance monitor - the transfer rates for the Devolo units was marginally faster but far more consistent than the HDX101 units which were plugged into exactly the same sockets as the Devolos (for the test I either had a pair of Devolos plugged in or a pair of HDX101s plugged - they never coexisted on the network or mains supply at the same time).

It depends on what you plan using them for.

If all you want is to use them to connect to xbox lilve for online gaming the 14Mb ones will be fine and cheaper.

IF you want to do streaming content from a pc then faster ones are needed as already mentioned.

I currently use 14Mb ones with no problems at all, so dont over engineer your solution if you dont need it. ;)

I also use the Devolo Homeplugs and have been very happy with them connecting to Live and streaming music.

I haven't tried HD video yet.

When I first got them I found them very tricky to set up but I suspect this was the XBox Connect software rather than the homeplugs but Devolo's customer service was excellent and they were really helpful.

I'm running a Vista RC at the moment which includes WMP11 and haven't had any problems since switching from Media Connect.

I run mine on the HDX101's and get 150mbps, which is faster than LAN :)

and rips the wireless connection which we previously used, to bits.

That's a bit misleading - it may be faster than a 100mbps LAN, but you can easily achive Gigabit speeds over a copper based LAN ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom