Xbox 360 Wireless Router Needed!

tscotsman

Established Member
Reaction score
I know that the Xbox360 is going to use 802.11a for wireless. For the life of me i cant find a tri mode (802.11a/b/g) compliant with built in broadband modem.

Does anyone have any advice on which wireless router to get?

You should b fine with 802.11g, I don't think may people have had roblems with interference.

There is another thread on it, but I would recommend a dg834g or 834gt router (54 or 108mbps) and a wge111 gaming bridge for the xbox (54mbps).

I have a Netgear DG834G wireless router and use the Netgear WGE111 connected to my XBOX.
I have no problems with interference but have changed the channel away from the default 11.
No slow down on good games (Halo2 / Burnout etc) but have 1MB braodband which helps.
I will certainly be keeping both of them - not forking out for the 360 one.

MS are recommending using 802.11a for multimedia streaming

This is because they're promoting HiDef streaming from your MS Media Centre PC

Scotty306 said:
MS are recommending using 802.11a for multimedia streaming

This is because they're promoting HiDef streaming from your MS Media Centre PC

802.11a is the same speed as 802.11g - 54Mbps, not taking into account any "Turbo" features. 'a' and 'g' are basically the same, with 'a' working at 5GHz and 'g' at 2.4GHz. 'g' gives much better range than 'a'.

802.11g is the one to go for, unless you want to be a flash git. If you do, go for the 802.11 "pre-n" stuff. That's 100Mbps+ so will suit hi-def streaming nicely.

EDIT: Regarding original post, you don't need to buy the MS wireless adapter. Just buy a wireless bridge of your choice and plug into the ethernet on the back of the 360. Will work out cheaper.

matt_p said:
EDIT: Regarding original post, you don't need to buy the MS wireless adapter. Just buy a wireless bridge of your choice and plug into the ethernet on the back of the 360. Will work out cheaper.

Like the Netgear WGE111 which you can pickup online for around 40 quid as opposed to the official MS one that will cost 60 quid. Also the advantages of using a standard wireless bridge is that ethernet is probably more effecient then the USB ( the official MS 360 adapter uses a USB connection ) plus you don't tie up one of the 360's USB ports when you don't need to.

Kube said:
Guys, i bought one of these recently. Will it work with the 360 okay? Its 802.11g
I see no reason why it wont work with the 360, you will also need a wireless bridge, MS are releasing one for 60 quid I think, alternatively you could pick a belkin one up (probably cheaper)

Wireless bridge? I take it thats the adaptor for the back of the 360 to pick up the connection? Excuse my lack of wireless knowledge. :)

Sting King said:
I see no reason why it wont work with the 360, you will also need a wireless bridge, MS are releasing one for 60 quid I think, alternatively you could pick a belkin one up (probably cheaper)

The MS one has advantages though :-

1. No extra Power supply required, it`s powered off the XBOX360
2. It is really small
3. It clips onto the back of the 360 in a really neat fashion.

If you really want to stream HD to your XBOX360, you might consider 11A, but for regular video and games, 11G should be fine.

ChrisAllenFiz said:
The MS one has advantages though :-

1. No extra Power supply required, it`s powered off the XBOX360
2. It is really small
3. It clips onto the back of the 360 in a really neat fashion.

If you really want to stream HD to your XBOX360, you might consider 11A, but for regular video and games, 11G should be fine.
I do agree, slipped my mind about been powered from the USB port, thats a good advantage, no more reaching behind yor AV cabinet to turn off your adapter (or leaving it on like I do).

matt_p said:
802.11g is the one to go for, unless you want to be a flash git. If you do, go for the 802.11 "pre-n" stuff. That's 100Mbps+ so will suit hi-def streaming nicely.

What do you mean by "pre-n" stuff?

jenjewak said:
What do you mean by "pre-n" stuff?

There is a new standard called 80211.n, which is much faster than G and A. However, it`s not finalised yet. Some people are bringing out products based on what they think that spec will be. Whether it meets up to the standard and will work will final 11n kit is debatable.

It may be that these products will be flash upgraded to the real spec when it comes out, or they may not be upgradable. However, you should be ok with pre n stuff if you buy all from the same manufacturer.

pre n is much more expensive ( about 4x ) than G though

Chris

I reckon if you have easy access to the back of your AV centre or where ever you will housing your 360 then get a wireless bridge. If you limited by space go for the MS usb device.

One thing that annoys me about peripherals is the "official" ones. A official xbox link cable, £20. Thats just a black bit of RJ45, you can buy it for £5. Hell if you knwo your IT department ask them for some, they'll give it you, thats where I get all mine from.

I watched one of the interviews on gametrailer TV and the 2 guys were talking about the interactivity between 360 and Windows MCE. They seemed to very concerned with the wireless aspect. Very nervous about the interference on B. They seemed to be hyping up A and how great it was. I got the impression that if you wanted to stream hi def content off your MCE to your 360 then being hardwired was the best option (obviously) then A then Bor G. Makes me kind of worried seeimg as everyone uses B and G and hardly anyones uses A.

ChrisAllenFiz said:
Some people are bringing out products based on what they think that spec will be. Whether it meets up to the standard and will work will final 11n kit is debatable.

The N spec is pretty much decided with the IEEE, I'm 95% sure it will all be fully compatible. Companies like Belkin, Netgear etc are not going to spend god knows how much money releasing products that are going to be defunct in 6 months when the IEEE ratify 802.11n.

I am very tempted to upgrade to 802.11n when my 360 arrives, I have a sneaky suspicion that my 802.11g might struggle to stream big, fat video files successfully... I'll reserve final judgement for when it's all arrived and I've tested it out.

PioRow said:
They seemed to be hyping up A and how great it was. I got the impression that if you wanted to stream hi def content off your MCE to your 360 then being hardwired was the best option (obviously) then A then Bor G. Makes me kind of worried seeimg as everyone uses B and G and hardly anyones uses A.

A is no faster than G, they're both 54Mbps. You will get VERY slightly better results with A, as it works in the 5GHz range. G works in the 2.4GHz range, so is more succeptible to interference from cordless phones, bluetooth etc.

But, assuming you don't have 75 cordless phones and 985 bluetooth headsets around your wireless router, you will hardly notice the difference. G also has a much better range than A, so is often a more practical solution in the home. Put a couple of walls in the way and G quickly outperforms A.

B, on the other hand, is too slow really. It will struggle badly to stream anything of significant size and quality. Will be fine for playing on Live and music, but video will be rubbish.

I can confirm that I had absolutely no problems what so ever hooking up my 360 with the official wireless network adapter to my Belkin wireless G adsl modem/router. Not sure on the model number but it is the high speed one you can get from Argos and is not a great deal more expensive than what Ebuyer are touting them out at.

Hey, I'm just wondering if I could get a quick recomendation on a wireless bridge to get for my 360, I just bought one yesterday and I want to get onto live as quick as possible, but I don't fancy forking out £60 for the official xbox one. If theres one available at a place like argos or dixons or somewhere else I might find on the high street that'd be great, but otherwise anywhere online would be great! Thanks a lot for any help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom