Xbox 360 Wireless Racing Wheel

Tokoloshe Man

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, thinking of getting one of these but would appreciate any opinions from people who own one already.

Its quite expensive at around £75-90, however I know that Forza 2 will support it.

Like I said any opinions/comments on the wireless racing wheel appreciated.

Like I said any opinions/comments on the wireless racing wheel appreciated.

Worth every penny, buy one now. You'll then want the racing seat complete with 4 point harness. Your G/F will leave you as she says you look silly and are weird for keeping a car racing seat on steelbox section set up in the middle of the lounge. Soon you will live in your racing overalls that you bought from Sparco online and marvel at how realistic the experience is. You will attend a track day and everyone will think your Lewis Hamilton/Mikka Hakkinen/Alonso all rolled into one.

Actually it is a great bit of kit, worth £75, comes with PGR3 which is as good as it gets right now. Forza will just be amazing, judging by the vids [see FM2 thread]

I might be tempted if they bundle Forza with it, but £80 for just the wheel, when I already have PGR3, I don't think it's worth that...

ive been deliberating over this for months. The thing that swings it is that wheels never work lap mounted and thats how I would have to use it.

ive been deliberating over this for months. The thing that swings it is that wheels never work lap mounted and thats how I would have to use it.
Yeah, that's the other thing putting me off slightly too. I play PC and 360 games, but I prefer to play my 360 because it's more relaxing not having to sit at a desk.... but that's what you seem to have to do with the wheel!

excellent piece of kit!! - love it!.

i bought need of speed carbon + PGr3 because of the wheel and i love both.

i did not think much of them before with the pad. The force feedback and also the way when you turn the wheel when at full speed its quite difficult and gets easier when you apply the brakes is ace.

expensive but you always et what you pay for.

ginny

I was concerned about the lap bit of it too, but when I got it home it worked just fine on my lap. You don't expect it to, but, IMHO, it works fine.

Already got PGR3? Ebay the old copy or PX it :)

I will say that for some challenges you do feel that you need a precise, rock-steady mount for it, like tackling "the road is mine" race in TDU, where the slightest incorrect twitch and the car's off the road and the race lost.

I'm not sure if that's just because the wheel is really, really badly done in TDU. PGR3 is much better, so much so that my lap times pretty much started tumbling everywhere when I got used to the wheel.

If you need a mount for it, there are several options.

1) the full on bucket-seat-and-pedals.
Not an option for most, but I'd really like one...one day maybe..

2) Coffee table
This might need some evaluation to get one at the right height - take the wheel with you when you go to DFS/Ikea :)

3) Ironing board
Laugh as much as you like, but when you get forza2 and are trying to beat that lap time, that ironing board is coming out because you've read about mounting the wheel on one here and you wonder, just wonder, maybe, it's crazy..but..could it work? Wait till the missus is out and give it a go. You know she'll only laugh, but if it saves you a second and a half a lap.. well, let her laugh :clap:

Edit: Everyone that's given it a go loved it. One person even left my house and went and bought a 360 and wheel straight after playing with it round mine. I will admit that I'm a tad excited about Forza and CM DIRT - the wheel is going to get a lot of use.

The SIM fans (GTR and GrandPrix legends crowd) on the forums think that the wheels not quite as good as some logitech PC wheel, but having owned FF wheels in the past myself, I'm really happy with this one.

If I was in two minds, I'd wait until FM2 and CM Dirt come out, then definitely buy the wheel as well as those games. You won't regret it.

the problem i get is i tend to lift the wheel when turning, does that happen at all with you on the 360 one? Sorry for the questions.

If you've got the wheel securely mounted then you shouldn't have too many problems but it really depends just what you've got it mounted to..

There's a separate thread about that here..

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452146

I for one have thrown a bit of dosh at the solution and ordered a gameframe.. :)

I've not used a wheel since the days of GT3 in the days of my 2nd year at uni and I absolutely loved it then. I'm considering living off bread and water for a month to afford a steering wheel and was wondering what the force feedback is like on these games? I loved playing GT3 and fighting the force feedback round the corners only for it to go loose as I lost grip. Excellent stuff. Is it just as good on 360?!

Thanks for the replies guys, may have to purchase today :)

you have done it for me too, i think im going to pick one up too.

the problem i get is i tend to lift the wheel when turning, does that happen at all with you on the 360 one? Sorry for the questions.

I know what you mean, but it's not really a problem. Don't forget this is a heavy bit of kit, it won't cut off the circulation to your legs but it's not light enough to easily "lift" when turning.

Go get the wheel, turn up the 5.1 sound and start up PGR3.... twitchy steering wheel fun on the sofa, gotta love it :thumbsup:

how strong is the force feedback? is it anywhere near as good as the old arcade racing games?

Ive got a madcatz wheel (from the argos bundle back in november) and its great considering its price. On TDU though, its awfull is the official wheel any better?
And would anyone suggest 'upgrading' and buying the MS wheel when ive already got the madcatz one?
I would be getting it in a bundle with FM2 if I was ever going to get it!

Ive got a madcatz wheel (from the argos bundle back in november) and its great considering its price. On TDU though, its awfull is the official wheel any better?
And would anyone suggest 'upgrading' and buying the MS wheel when ive already got the madcatz one?
I would be getting it in a bundle with FM2 if I was ever going to get it!
There's a wheel in the Argos for £30 as well, I'm tempted by that one now you've mentioned it, I thought the official one was the only one! But £80 seems a bit steep, £30 much more reasonable, but I guess you get what you pay for...

Yes you do get what you pay for, and for me, I just can't imagine £30 buying a really quality peice of kit. I bought the MS wheel a couple of weeks ago, only use it for PGR3 (roll on Forza 2), and have enjoyed it immensely. A mate has been similarly impressed.

As for the lap mount, that's what I do too - I tried fixing it to a table but then the pedals were a pain to get in the right place, and I was leaning too far forward which was uncomfortable. It's not quite sturdy enough on the lap, but being able to sit back on the sofa and put the pedals in exactly the best spot makes up for it (in my opinion).

how strong is the force feedback? is it anywhere near as good as the old arcade racing games?

Yes, this is the internet, I can confirm that yes, it is better. Using disclaimers apply, like I've no idea what old games you used to play :)

First FF wheel I ever played was on Stunt Car Racer back in a Mablethorpe arcade in 1984. In the bingo stall next door the top prize was a Sinclair C5, second prize was 12 cans of baked beans.

The arcade game felt like it would break my wrists and thumbs - I was hooked! However, it wasn't very precise.

The MSoft FF wheel has great FF, you will not be disappointed. Games allow you to adjust the feedback level from mild to strong. NOT ALL GAMES SUPPORT FF, it has to be coded into the game, like PGR3 and TDU. No idea what its like in NFS but it's lame in Burnout.

There's a wheel in the Argos for £30 as well, I'm tempted by that one now you've mentioned it, I thought the official one was the only one! But £80 seems a bit steep, £30 much more reasonable, but I guess you get what you pay for...

Do those wheels have force feedback? I mean, genuine, motor-driven force feedback? If it's springs and rubber bands, then it ain't the real deal.

Check it out

okay, you can't see the FF in the video, but you get the idea.

Do those wheels have force feedback? I mean, genuine, motor-driven force feedback? If it's springs and rubber bands, then it ain't the real deal.

Check it out

okay, you can't see the FF in the video, but you get the idea.
I know what you mean, and I'm not sure. It mentions FF, but I know it won't be as good as the one that's £80, everything will not be as good when it's less than half the price... and by FF, they could well be confused and think that vibration is good enough for FF, when it's the stuff that makes turning more difficult at high speeds is what you actually want.

The only thing better about it is the price, for me... at the moment, I just can't see me paying £80 for a wheel, however good it is (and I love racing games, my favourite type of game).

But I was intrigued at the triple monitor setup! I want that! Although I bet you need 3 consoles and 3 games, still confused at how that would work though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom