XBox 360 Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi Ready?

Turl2

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that there is an optional wi-fi adapter for the 360 and that the spec says wi-fi ready?. Does anyone know if the adapter is needed for the fully loaded package or just the core system?.

If the console is only wi-fi ready I need to get one ordered :rolleyes: .

Cheers,

Turl

Think you need to buy the adaptor for both the premium and core packages

However, if you already have a wireless bridge you could plug that into the ethernet port

If you want your Xbox to be wireless, you have to buy the adapter. You can plug in via ethernet straight away, but the wireless will cost an extra 40quid. Which is extracting the urine really, as I have to get that.

chrislad said:
If you want your Xbox to be wireless, you have to buy the adapter. You can plug in via ethernet straight away, but the wireless will cost an extra 40quid. Which is extracting the urine really, as I have to get that.

Chris - what do you want for your £280? adding in wifi would just bump the cost up even more. i've already got a bridge for my xbox (as do many other people) so i dont want to pay more than i need too.

Gary

Does anyone know if the Netgear WGE111 wireless adapter that I have on order for my PS2 will be compatible with the 360?

Cheers

VILLAn66 said:
Does anyone know if the Netgear WGE111 wireless adapter that I have on order for my PS2 will be compatible with the 360?

Cheers

In theory it should be as network protocols are standard. I bought one recently for 40 quid second hand although it was still shrink wrapped and brand new. At the moment I use the MS MN-740 wireless Xbox adapter I bought from the US with my Xbox. I imagine they should both work with the 360.

Remember that the Wireless adapter for the 360 is a/b/g complient, most currently available adapters are just b/g complient, (apparantly the 'a' is need for HD Media streaming), and as far as I'm aware there has been no statement saying that any of those would be okay to use with the 360.

We DO know that accessories need to be certified to use with the 360, maybe that will be the same for the network adapters too.

Have mine pre-ordered from Play (but never had one for the current XBox) so its no 'loss' to me, maybe we'll find out more info from X05.

I think wifi and online gamming is a poor substitute to be honest.

Many others I know think the same. Building it into the box costs a load of extra cash and major added complexity in setup / configuration / support
(See continuing issues with PSP)

Bottom line xbox 360 is said to be up to $100 a unit less to MANUFACTURE than the PS 3. Only time will tell.

Lets be honest thats alot how many people actually want to use Wifi on a console ? Not me I certainly dont want to pay for something I wont be using and delivers a sub standard gamming experience.

VILLAn66 said:

Cheers

BUMP /\

Does anyone have anymore info on the compatibility (or not) of third party gaming adapters on the 360. I've just bought a Netgear one (for the PS2) and don't want to have to shell out again!

Any thoughts?

All wireless/wired connections will work just as they do with the current Xbox. Wireless adaptors don't need to be certified, neither will network cables/routers/switches as they aren't exclusively for the Xbox console.

HarrisUK wireless connectivity isnt just about online gaming (which I think is the best part of Xbox). Many people will use the 360 as a hub for connecting media to their TV and hi-fi. Please tell me that you can see the benefits of a wireless connection in this scenario.

You seem to think that no one is interested in a wireless console, so why would you need to worry about the added setup complexity if no one is going to use the feature?

And what are wifi & online gaming supposed to be a poor substitute for?

Gary D said:
Chris - what do you want for your £280? adding in wifi would just bump the cost up even more. i've already got a bridge for my xbox (as do many other people) so i dont want to pay more than i need too.

Gary

Disagree with this completely - I am typing on my Apple iBook and it naturally has Wifi built in - While I am not angered at having to pay more, what annoys me is that this next gen console will still have need a stupid looking piece of cack plugged in and sticking out of it to make it wireless, rubbish to that, it should be integrated. Oh, and to counter your price argument, take a look at the Mac Mini. :rolleyes:

[MOD EDIT - swear words removed and replaced with non swear words - please refrain from sewearing on the forum as it is a public place frequented by people of all ages.]

VILLAn66 said:
BUMP /\

Does anyone have anymore info on the compatibility (or not) of third party gaming adapters on the 360. I've just bought a Netgear one (for the PS2) and don't want to have to shell out again!

Any thoughts?

If it has an ethernet port it should be compatible. I presume it's a standard ethernet jack into the PS2?

steveyg20 said:
Disagree with this completely - I am typing on my Apple iBook and it naturally has Wifi built in - While I am not angered at having to pay more, what peeves me is that this next gen console will still have need a stupid looking piece of cack plugged in and sticking out of it to make it wireless, not happy with that, it should be integrated. Oh, and to counter your price argument, take a look at the Mac Mini. :rolleyes:

Does the PS3 have in built wireless? I don't know.

YOu have to think though that consoles are sold at a LOSS. Money is not made on the consoles, 90% is made on games and dev kits etc, the rest on peripherals.

"It is estimated that Microsoft suffered losses of approximately $4 billion on the first Xbox video games console - a situation that the company seems poised to remedy with the next generation Xbox 360 console.

Microsoft intends to break even on the Xbox 360 within the first year or two of the console’s 6-7 year life cycle. In contrast with the first Xbox, which was manufactured using off-the-shelf components from Nvidia and Intel, Microsoft owns the intellectual property inside the Xbox 360 console.

This gives the software giant greater control over price, since it can shop around for chip manufacturers and reduce costs as technology advances. Analysts have also estimated that the Xbox 360 is approximately $100 cheaper to manufacture than the Sony Playstation 3, giving Microsoft more leeway in pricing decisions."

I bet at £220 it's a breakeven price, or a very slight profit on hardware.

As the initiall R&D gets amortised over the lifecycle and compment charges reduce with volume and manufacturing improvments MS will get scope to reduce prices. Not necessarily increase profit on the HARDWARE side.

They make lots of money from selling the dev kits for games, and percentage royaltys of games sold and distribution rights etc.

Same with Sony.

Where MS are interested is owning the OS , the Xbox 360 is just about extending the dominance of the MS platform and more importantly preventing Sony from pitching a rival media OS.

Bearing in mind that these form an important part of the media center for a household.

steveyg20 said:
Disagree with this completely - I am typing on my Apple iBook and it naturally has Wifi built in - While I am not angered at having to pay more, what annoys me is that this next gen console will still have need a stupid looking piece of cack plugged in and sticking out of it to make it wireless, rubbish to that, it should be integrated. Oh, and to counter your price argument, take a look at the Mac Mini. :rolleyes:
But how many people have a wireless network in their home? Even those who are buying a 360, it's the vast minority who will be using this option IMHO. Why should the majority pay extra for a feature that only the minority will use? It's absolutely the right thing to sell as an accessory. And does this look like a "stupid piece of cack" to you?

SPWWirelessAdaptor95x95.jpg

It's unintrusive, plugs in round the back and very small. Overpriced, granted; but still very nice.

[mod edit - swearing removed from original quote as per above post]

Lorenzini said:
But how many people have a wireless network in their home? Even those who are buying a 360, it's the vast minority who will be using this option IMHO. Why should the majority pay extra for a feature that only the minority will use? It's absolutely the right thing to sell as an accessory. And does this look like a "stupid piece of cack" to you?

SPWWirelessAdaptor95x95.jpg

It's unintrusive, plugs in round the back and very small. Overpriced, granted; but still very nice.

I have to agree with that. Besides MS is already going to be making a loss on every 360 sold, having integrated wi-fi capabilities is only going to add to that. The anallergy (SP?) of the Mac Mini doesn't make sense as it cost more then a 360 and Apple isn't making a loss on it.

Is it possible to use my existing netgear wge111 wireless bridge for both the xbox (running XBMC) and the 360, with some sort of ethernet splitter?? (If they exist).

Obviously I can only use one machine at a time in my living room.

Cheers

Moogle said:
I have to agree with that. Besides MS is already going to be making a loss on every 360 sold, having integrated wi-fi capabilities is only going to add to that. The anallergy (SP?) of the Mac Mini doesn't make sense as it cost more then a 360 and Apple isn't making a loss on it.

analogy. :lesson: :p

Sting King said:
Is it possible to use my existing netgear wge111 wireless bridge for both the xbox (running XBMC) and the 360, with some sort of ethernet splitter?? (If they exist).

Cheers

With only one Ethernet port it's going to be tough. You may get a splitter but theres no guarantee it will pick up which is broadcasting.

I think you can buy them , but may get some funcky results, you would probably have to turn of the router and restart every time you switched.

Is it worth it?

J

Jaylist,

The modded xbox sits in my living room connected to the wge111, which is used for XBMC, I have a unmodded xbox situated upstairs which is hard wired to my router. I often bring the 'Live' Xbox downstairs to play on my HDTV, all I do is swap the ethernet cable over from xbox to xbox, no resetting of the router is needed. Therefore I presumed I could do the same with the 360??
Swapping the cables over would be a pain in the arse when I have the 360 and modded xbox sitting neatly in a cabinet.
If neccessary I will buy another wireless bridge, I have seen a ethernet hub on ebay, would this do the trick??

Only one machine would be switched on at any one time, I think this would be the same as what I currently do cable swapping just introducing the automation of the hub??

Am I right??

I don't see the need for an 'aerial' - As I said the price is not an issue, I would happily pay extra, and I would happily pay for an accessory that slots into a trap door and is not visible - As it stands I am afraid the little aerial might be a bit of an annoyance, and more easily broken if you are moving the X-box around - A very last gen move from the progressive Microsoft team.

Sting King said:

Cheers

What you need is a switch. Four ports is the smallest they come.

Money is not made on the consoles, 90% is made on games and dev kits etc, the rest on peripherals.

Unless you're Nintendo :smashin:

steveyg20 said:

[MOD EDIT - swear words removed and replaced with non swear words - please refrain from sewearing on the forum as it is a public place frequented by people of all ages.]

hey your a mac user, so it says it all really, your used to paying thru the nose for everything and being bundled with tonnes of stuff you dont need :rolleyes:

JagoPlasma said:
hey your a mac user, so it says it all really, your used to paying thru the nose for everything and being bundled with tonnes of stuff you dont need :rolleyes:

Thanks for that. :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom