xbox 360 - where to pre-order ?

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me the best places in usa/canada that are accepting pre-orders for the xbox 360 ? I'm in the UK but dont want to pre-order from here as to save a few quid, so I would need some places that will ship to the UK

Thanks

:smashin:

Just get a English one. There is not too much difference in price. You might have problems with XBox Live on a US machine, and you will have to buy all the games in Region 1 too.

I heard US xbox360's played over here might not be able to connect to live

Best place if you do want to import one will be www.videogamesplus.ca I reckon. It will work out more expensive than getting one here though. This time I really don't see the point of importing to be honest.

thanks :) hmm, $550can is pretty steep, its only going to be £10 more expensive in the UK.

Its the price of games and accessories I like though, they are much cheaper from usa/can.

After tax and shipping, it's doubtful you'll find the machine cheaper in North America. Like you say though, the games will be cheaper however.

Well accessories should work on the UK box anyway I would think. As for games, if you order when places have VAT free weekends or promotions you can get them for £33 ish which is pretty reasonable. Get some ordered from Asda as they have 15% off until the end of today!

aRCaM said:
thanks :) hmm, $550can is pretty steep, its only going to be £10 more expensive in the UK.

Its the price of games and accessories I like though, they are much cheaper from usa/can.

Not at all. VG+ for example have 360 games at $79.99CAD (which is £39.99). In the US Best Buy and EB have games at $59.99 (which is £34.20). When you add customs and delivery onto that you are definatelly looking at being much more expensive than the UK. The UK delivered price online is generally £39.99 and there have been other offers to get the games cheaper (i.e. Asda at £33.99!).

There is no point at all in getting an import machine as far as I can see as it will work out more expensive, may not work on Live and when you want a game you are generally talking a week for delivery as opposed to a day.

hmm, this has certainly made me think a bit, I never buy UK stuff but now i may have to.

if you preorder xbox360 games at asda entertainment and enter the coupon code FIFTEEN when you checkout you will get 15% off which works out at £33 each for most titles. Offer ends at midnight tonight!

zAndy1 said:
if you preorder xbox360 games at asda entertainment and enter the coupon code FIFTEEN when you checkout you will get 15% off which works out at £33 each for most titles. Offer ends at midnight tonight!

£33.99, lol, my girlfriend just corrected me on that one after moaning about how much I was spending :rolleyes: :nono: :lesson:

pitchin4eva said:
I heard US xbox360's played over here might not be able to connect to live

Hmm, this is worrying me a bit now. Hope my UK Xbox360 with Live will work ok out in Argentina :rolleyes: Wonder if I should have been looking into a US console?

The games region aren't a concern for me as Argentina game prices are wayyyy too high, will have them sent over from here.

All these rumours about Live not working here on US Xbox's is just scare tactics and any one reading too much into them must be pretty gullible. Live works on my US Xbox and there is no reason why it shouldn't work on my US 360 when I get that. MS isn't worried about imported machines and games but about modded ones.

As far as the console being more expensive if you order from Videogame Plus you end up paying 295 quid including shipping and they undervalue the products on the customs form so you don't have to pay duty. I have ordered two DS's and a PSP from them as well as many games and never been charged duty. Games from there work out at around 36 to 41 quid which may be on the high side but final prices have not yet been set anyway. They may end up being cheaper like exisitng console games.

DVD Boxoffice in Canada is a bit cheaper as they don't charge shipping and their prices are generally a little lower. Overall I think you will end up saving money going with a North American console. Not to mention there will still be quite a few games that get released there earlier. I'm getting a US 360 and not going with a UK one.

hmm why pay £295 for a US console when a UK one is £279 - makes no sense what so ever. Even though you can get away with customs it is still a risk and if you get caught then your talking not far off £400! Games are a similar price in the UK to the US so why bother again risking customs and waiting for the delivery from the US??

I agreed with importing stuff like the PSP as a) I got one for around £150 and b) I also had one 6 months before the UK launch. It therefore made a lot of sense. When you aren't gaining a time advantage (by the time you receive a US one launched on 22/11 then the UK one launched on 02/12 will already be out), nor a price advantage I fail to see the point of ordering from the US.

Whether the live thing is scare tactics or not is beside the point, the above reasons mean that it's not worth it anyway.

CAS FAN said:
hmm why pay £295 for a US console when a UK one is £279 - makes no sense what so ever. Even though you can get away with customs it is still a risk and if you get caught then your talking not far off £400! Games are a similar price in the UK to the US so why bother again risking customs and waiting for the delivery from the US??

I agreed with importing stuff like the PSP as a) I got one for around £150 and b) I also had one 6 months before the UK launch. It therefore made a lot of sense. When you aren't gaining a time advantage (by the time you receive a US one launched on 22/11 then the UK one launched on 02/12 will already be out), nor a price advantage I fail to see the point of ordering from the US.

Whether the live thing is scare tactics or not is beside the point, the above reasons mean that it's not worth it anyway.

I disagree. First of all I've got two 360's preordered from the US. The other one is with DVD Boxoffice for the premium package with the HD but also includes an extra wireless controller, battery pack and play and charge kit. All for 243 quid.

As far as Videogame Plus is concerned there is no risk of paying duty. Both DS's and the PSP I got from them had values of 20 quid on the customs forms. That is what they do as a standard practice.. Plus I believe games and accessories will be cheaper and in many cases the gamers will come out sooner. If you look at the prices of accessories on Videogame Plus and DVD Boxoffice's web sites they are cheaper.

As far as the time advantage although it's not much I will have my 360 before it is launched in the US as it wil be delivered by courier and I should have it by the 25th. And like I said many of the games will come out sooner over there. That with the prices of the accessories and most likely the games being cheaper, IMHO it is worth getting a US machine.

Moogle said:
I disagree. First of all I've got two 360's preordered from the US. The other one is with DVD Boxoffice for the premium package with the HD but also includes an extra wireless controller, battery pack and play and charge kit. All for 243 quid.

As far as Videogame Plus is concerned there is no risk of paying duty. Both DS's and the PSP I got from them had values of 20 quid on the customs forms. That is what they do as a standard practice.. Plus I believe games and accessories will be cheaper and in many cases the gamers will come out sooner. If you look at the prices of accessories on Videogame Plus and DVD Boxoffice's web sites they are cheaper.

As far as the time advantage although it's not much I will have my 360 before it is launched in the US as it wil be delivered by courier and I should have it by the 25th. And like I said many of the games will come out sooner over there. That with the prices of the accessories and most likely the games being cheaper, IMHO it is worth getting a US machine.

Actually the pack you mention is £283 from DVD Box office (£290 with the courier shipping). It comes with an extra pad and charger cables. There is always a risk of customs (especially from DVD Box office - I know some people got hit with customs on PSP's from there) and marking something down helps but is never a guarantee.

The only games that will be out in the US earlier will generally be the US market games - i.e. NBA, NHL, NFL stuff. Games like WE/Pro Evo actually come out in the UK before the US and that is more important to me and a lot of other UK players. Games are not cheaper in the US as shown above and there is no reason why they should become cheaper over there and not here. Also a large amount of X-Box games are not region locked anyway so you should still have the American market games to go for if you wish anyway.

For most people, getting the console perhaps a week earlier isn't really a big deal.

Anyway, each to their own. I see no reason to import a console from the US when I can buy one from my own country around the same time for around the same price and know that if anything goes wrong with it I don't have to mess around trying to send it back to the US and having to wait a while for my replacement. If it wasn't coming out until say the Spring in the UK then I would import but as it's just a week later then no point IMO.

CAS FAN said:
Actually the pack you mention is £283 from DVD Box office (£290 with the courier shipping). It comes with an extra pad and charger cables. There is always a risk of customs (especially from DVD Box office - I know some people got hit with customs on PSP's from there) and marking something down helps but is never a guarantee.

The only games that will be out in the US earlier will generally be the US market games - i.e. NBA, NHL, NFL stuff. Games like WE/Pro Evo actually come out in the UK before the US and that is more important to me and a lot of other UK players. Games are not cheaper in the US as shown above and there is no reason why they should become cheaper over there and not here. Also a large amount of X-Box games are not region locked anyway so you should still have the American market games to go for if you wish anyway.

The prices of the games in North America and over here have not yet been finalized. The prices quoted by various retailers both here and over there are just estimates. Xbox, PS2, GC, PSP, GBA, DS games etc. are all cheaper in North America and it is likely the same will be the case for 360 and PS3 games too. And it won't just be just the US matket games that will come out earlier as has been shown by release dates of Xbox, GC, PS2, PSP, DS and GBA games. The majority of Xbox games afre region locked with the exception of about 15 or so titles most of which are Ubisoft games. I know as I have tested many UK games on my US Xbox and US games on my UK Xbox. So I beg to differ. There is an advantage to owning US consoles and the 360 will be no different. At the end of the day each person has to make up his own mind whether there it is worth their while investing in an American console. For me it is.

PES always comes out in the UK first and the US generally aren't that bothered about footie. That alone makes the UK console the console of choice for many people. Even X-Box games are rarely any cheaper in the US/Can than you can get them in the UK, infact they are often more expensive!

Take Farcry instints for example from a site you mentioned (DVD Box Office) - It is $66.95CAD (£32.65)! That's if you avoid customs! I bought it online from Asda for £25! The same game from EB in the US is $49.99 (£28.45) - still more expensive than I got it for and about £1 cheaper than most places before customs. So seeing as US/CAN games are roughly the same price as over here (assuming you pay no customs) on the X-Box and seeing as 360 games are also predicted to be around the same price (see my previous post) then why would you assume that 360 games are suddenly going to become cheaper inthe US/Can?

Like I say, each to their own and if you wish to buy US then great, but for the benefit of others please state the facts.

I honestly wouldnt buy a US machine until we KNOW that they connect to Live etc when they are used over here.

Exactly, making X-Box Live region specific would be an easy thing to do and whilst this may all be scare tactics we don't know for certain. Personally though I wouldn't buy a US box full stop as I just don't see any advantage in owning one.

Plus your mates cant bring their games over. And it will be a lot harder trading in / selling your NTSC version of PGR3 :smashin:

Id also be a little concerned about import tax - I can understand how a small box that doesn't weigh very much (PSP or DS) can get through OK but im pretty sure the new 360 box will be much larger and weigh alot more, surely this is bound to attract more unwanted attention during shipping ?

mrmcdean said:
Id also be a little concerned about import tax - I can understand how a small box that doesn't weigh very much (PSP or DS) can get through OK but im pretty sure the new 360 box will be much larger and weigh alot more, surely this is bound to attract more unwanted attention during shipping ?

Exactly, i'm sure that a few of them at least will get opened up and it doesn't take a brain surgeon to work out that an X-Box 360 is worth more than £18.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom