1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360, what kind of HDTV set is best

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by scienide, May 26, 2005.

1. scienide

scienide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody,

I have a question about HDTV sets, and gaming (xbox360 and ps3)...
    Which piece of equipment is best to display the games?

I heard some disadvantages of TFT (lcd) for the use of displaying those consoles... delay, ghosting and things like that, especially for running fast games on hdtv resolutions...

DLP rear projectors look nice, but also i heard some complaints about these..

Could u please tell me which device is best for gaming .... ?

With kind regards
    Marco

2. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Whichever suits you better and you can afford.

3. scienide

scienide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A beamer isnt really an option for me..

The choise is either a back projector, or a TFT screen, but i heard about issues of TFT screens regarding high motion games...

If that is true, i will not get a tft and try looking at a rear projector instead.

With kind regards,
    Marco

4. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    go into comet/currys/dixons and make a salesman earn a crust.

5. Dazzlercee

Dazzlercee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When using a TV for gaming the biggest issue is screen burn. I went with DLP for this reason as they do not suffer at all from screen burn. I purchased the Sagem HD45 in Feb this year and I am more than happy with it.

Gaming is great as is DVD. Sky+ is acceptable and high def material is simply amazing.

I was initially intending to buy a plasma screen but was put off by screen burn and the high prices for a decent set.

6. scienide

scienide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dazzler, this post was very helpfull for me ... i would like to thank you for this really good topic...

Thanks
    with kind regards
    Marco

7. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi

I've been following the discussions in the LCD tv thread, and I have read from a few people that they are happy with their LCD for gaming. I believe that with a set of 12ms response time, you shouldn't experience any blurring problems at all. I for sure will be buying one later this year for my Xbox 360.

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    I don't think TFTs have an issue with console gaming. They are capped at 50/60 frames per second, so 12/16ms response should be fine. Its not quite the same for PC gaming, where some crazy people like their games at 100fps, so TFT response is an issue for them.

9. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Beware manufacturers quoted response times, there is no standard for measuring it and as a result it's virtually meaningless :( Comes down to the fact there are different measurements that can be used and they always choose the lowest.

10. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    The best lcd tv for xbox360 is one with a resolution of 1280x720 as this is what resolution the games will be made in plus the screen doesnt need to do any upscaleing.

11. rab4169

rab4169
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    what kind of hi def output will the 360 have ,hdmi?

12. Cowden_harley

Cowden_harley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    hdmi, component and vga. All cables will be available.

13. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I have seen quotes from the big man (J Allard?) stating that it will be Component & VGA only HD Signals from X-Box 360.

Speaking as someone who's new LCD only has single HDMI (waiting for PS3), Component & VGA socket then I dont really care about this !

:rolleyes:

14. rab4169

rab4169
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    what lcd do you have , was looking at 37" toshiba but does not have component in so the hdmi will be took up with sky hi def ,vga by computer ,where will xbox 360 go?

15. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    wrong, no HDMI output thats only on the ps3 (dont know about revolution and dont care). HD signals passed through component and VGA. hearing component cable willl come as standard with a 360 package

16. Cowden_harley

Cowden_harley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    my mistake i thought i read on the xbox forum that was the case. oh well component in screen needed.

17. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I'd be amazed if they didn't eventually go back on that and provide HDMI for the 360 - that would be a very odd choice, seeing as it's "the connector of the moment" and all.

18. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    rab,

The newest 37" Toshiba, the 37WLT58 out in September, comes with 2 HDMI and 1 component input. Hope this helps.

Steve

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_26369.html

19. rab4169

rab4169
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks steve
    might hang on for this one but it`s about £300 more than the present model

20. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    I take it you've not tried this yourself then. You'll probably get an answer along the lines of "HD what????"

21. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +857
    That Toshiba 37" HDTV looks nice, would I benefit the most from that with xbox 360? like pic size resolutions etc.

I want it mainly for Xbox 360, Sky HD and PS3(when price drops)

22. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17

23. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    for when i want some casual gaming for 15 mins or so i think i will be ok with the new Dell TFT i may be getting with its native 1900x1200 res with component input so should be ok for Xb360. dosnt have HDCP on the other hand so im a little unsure of it atm. will essentially be a pc monitor and use it later for next gen consoles as well, unless something more tasty comes around before then :devil: i love spending the money i dont have yet

24. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm quite confused about what set to get, looking for one that will work well with Xbox 360. I'd prefer quality (not worrying about space), and the price not to be over 1,500GBP. Connections wise I wanted HDMI, Component, & some RGB SCARTs. Also resolutions of 720p and 1080i are obviously a must. Screen size would also be anywhere between 32" and 36/7". Oh, and preferrably with freeview.

When it comes down to image quality is DLP better than LCD?

I've been looking at the following (but none of them seem to have everything I want):
    Philips 32" 9986 (LCD): http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...&proxybuster=JQPLSNCFGZO2ZJ0RMRCSHP3HKFSESI5P

Toshiba 32WLT58 (not out yet)(LCD): http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_26062.html

Hitachi 32" 7200
    (LCD): http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/DMG/viewProduct_1.jsp?productid=465&drilldown=7&urlnumber=0

Toshiba 46"
    (bit too big :() WM48 (DLP): http://www.home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/consumer/products.nsf/specs/dlphdtv-46wm48?opendocument

All of these have little niggles that make them not what I want. Like lack of freeview, apart from the Toshiba which hasn't come out yet. However, I'm not sure of the quality of that screen. Whats the best technology to go for when it comes to picture quality with HD (considering that there are hardly any CRT HDTVs, cutting them out of the picture).

I've looked around, but there's no definitive answer. Any recommendations would be of great help. Oh, and one more thing, LCD doesn't have burn-in right? Thats gonna pretty essential, I don't want my screen to end up looking like this :D:
    [​IMG]

25. Sheepfish

Sheepfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bit confused and was wondering if any one has a good answer. I'm in the market for a projector that will display Xbox360 games in all their glory. I've been lurking and reading threads and it it looks like I need a projector that will display 720p rresolution. That made me assume I would need a projector with a 1200x720 resolution cpability. However, I was looking at the .pdf from the Infocus website about their Screenplay 5700 and something confused me. There is a link to the .pdf file below, the technical stats are on page 4 of the .pdf.

http://www.infocushome.com/pdf/5700/ScreenPlay5700_DS_ENG.pdf

The document says the projector 'Display Resolution' is 1024x576. Yet on the same page of statistics it says it is compatible with 'Component and RGB HDTV (720p, 1035i, 1080i, 1080p)'

I'm confused, to say the least. Surely if the projector only has a resolution of 1024x576, it can't support 720p, which I thought meant a resolution of 1200x720?

If someone could explain that to me, I'd be very grateful. Basically, the Xbox360 games will be 720p, will the Screenplay 5700 reproduce that? I can't tell either way!

26. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    I think I'm down to the samsung 32". Possibly considering the toshiba, purely for 2xHDMI (thinking SkyHD and PS3)

I saw the Samsung running a HD promo in comet and it looked fantastic. And for 'normal' TV its fine too.

Xbox360 will be component only for HD. No point in HDMI - it might be the connector of the moment, but thats because its being forced on us for copy protection. You don't need to copy protect the video output of a game - can't see anyone buying 2hours of me playing PGR3 down the local car boot.

PS3 will only have it for bluray support.

27. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201

It can 'support' any resolution it fancies, it will just scale it down to fit into 1024x576 pixels. Obviously for a true 720p display you need a resolution of at least 1280x720

28. spenny29

spenny29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    please help me i have just changed my PAL xbox into NCTS mode using softmodding so that i can get into the high def functions i have changed the functions into high def i have bought all the high def cables and a vga progressive scan component but i am having trouble getting it to run on my crt monitor i get nothing at all when i turn on my xbox (it says check pc for signal or something) could someone please give me a step by step guide on how to get this all to work i have asked many people on many forums and nobody seems to know. someone please, please help me. i have spent nearly £100 on cables and components and i am no futher forward.

29. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I dont think monitors support progressive component input, which is why it doesn't show anything, you'd need to buy a converter which would be another £150 from www.js-technology.com.

Dont quote me on that though, I know you need to buy a converter to play consoles on computer screens so I'm 99% sure this is the same thing

30. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59