XBox 360 vs XBox One vs PS4 as media player

oceanclub

Standard Member
Reaction score
My old XBox 360 has a very noisy fan and I'm thinking of upgrading to a One. Most of my usage will probably be media streaming from my PC (Windows 7) - video and music. I generally just use System Video Player and System Music Player (yes, v. old school) along with an official Xbox 360. Simple, easy to use - even the 4 year old can use it if he's allowed his hands on it!

(Using Windows Media Centre would be nice (I stopped using it as I found over wifi it was slow/stuttered but have an Ethernet network now).)

Does XBox One provide comparable media streaming out of the box? I've seen contradictory information out there and get these sense that for media streaming, XBox has gone backwards. Is the PS4 better? Essentially I'm looking for:

* Easy to configure
* Full proof to use
* Dedicated remote control

(I've looked in various Android boxes and haven't been impressed by either reliabilty or ease of use so tempted to stick with a mainstream console which I would use for a bit of gaming anyway.)

P.

Both the Xbox One and PS4 are both very capable Media Players and both have Plex if you wanted to stream from a PC. I know you can get Media Remote with Xbox, not sure on PS4 and imo the Xbox would be quieter over the PS4 which has been my experience.

I also recommend you look into Plex media server
Xbox One S shine above as a media player if you also need a 4k disk player with full audio support. It can also support Plex DVR

of course both consoles also play top end games

if you don't need that then maybe a dedicated media player - personally I use a mix of two AppleTV4 and two Nivdia Shield TV's in different rooms/purpose

Both the Xbox One and PS4 are both very capable Media Players and both have Plex if you wanted to stream from a PC. I know you can get Media Remote with Xbox, not sure on PS4 and imo the Xbox would be quieter over the PS4 which has been my experience.

Thanks - how quiet is the XBox One S? I'm hoping it's virtually silent if on an open shelf say 5 feet away?

P.

Windows media center has been retired for a number of years now so there is no support for that any more.

If your looking for a replacement Plex or Emby are the way to go, they both have clients on the Xbox One in it's app store. You also have basic file based players like VLC that play from DLNA media servers or network shared folders.

Noise wise the One S has a consistent hum to it, not really noticeable once you tune it out and get used to it.

me personally i think the ps3 is a better media player than all of them. you can put your media on the internal hardrive

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom